1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero, DVD Shrink, unable to burn another DVD-R

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by aw213, Nov 21, 2004.

1. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

aw213,

Can you tell us which media you've tried? In my experience your media is the problem, if you have playback issues.

As far as the aspi layer, a common issue is the ability to burn to a +/-RW but to a +/-R. One thing to consider is ... it never hurts to install a "working" aspi layer.

Things to try/do:
    1) Make sure your burner's firmware is up to date. Best place to check for updated firmware is the manufactures website.

2) Uninstall Nero completely. Even use Nero's cleaning tools. http://nero.com/us/Clean_Tools.html

3) With Nero completely removed, try to backup using just DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter.

2. aw213

aw213 Guest

bbmayo & flip218: This was a great suggestion. I checked and the ASPI drivers were not installed.

I followed your advice to download and install from forceaspi18. Rebooted and still no luck.

I first used DVD-R from brtech, followed by Verbatim DVD-RW and DVD-R.

However, you and others have given me a good clue. I managed to burn 1 DVD using an eariler version of Nero. After burning this one, and reading through the forums and guides, I saw Nero 6.6 ultra.

On the premise that "newer = better" I downloaded the trial verison and this is what I am using now.

I will now use Nero's cleaning tools as suggested
    and keep you folks posted....(Thanks guys/girls)

3. aw213

aw213 Guest

Regor, Ripvan: Thanks for the suggestion. I will try it tomorrow.

Right now I cannot even burn data on my DVD on any media (-R -RW, verbatim or brtech)

I think I have to use the clean utilities again, remove the DVD player and go back to a restore point before I started all this. I will do this tomorrow.

The only version of DVD shrink I have used is 3.2.

Thanks for the suggestions,,,, I will keep you posted.

4. bobsatguy

bobsatguy Member

it's not a driver,,it worked once, could be media'however verbatium is a good brand,never heard of br. what hardware are you dealing with cpu, hardrive space avil. and dvd burner.Also decrypter should be used first(it's only job is removing code) dvd shrink does both(remove code&shrink) and should be used 2nd, sometimes it seems to taxing on shrink to do both at once.Why would you decrypt after it's been done by shrink 1st?

5. flip218

bobsatguy,

Can you be a little more contradicting?

First you say:
    Then you say:

Was it because I said "try to backup using just DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter"?

6. bobsatguy

bobsatguy Member

as well as the the other postings saying shrink than decrypt,why would you run decrypt after shrink, also I have run into a few cases where shrink 1 works well but shrink 2 does not, have a good turkey day all

7. flip218

It's because we are using DVD Decrypter to burn. Use Shrink to create an ISO, then burn it with DVD Decrypter.

This way it will eliminate if Nero is the problem.

8. regor

regor Regular member

Okay aw213, it sounds like you are on the right track. Since you can't even burn a data disk, trouble-shooting 101 would dictate that you get back to the basics and figure out why. Cleaning up your system and returning to a prior 'known good' restore point is an excellent idea. At that point you might consider using inherent capibilities within XP i.e. copying files to a writable CD or using WMP to burn an audio CD or DVD, just to verify it will do that much.

and then away you go.....

Good luck! After you've accomplished that, we are here waiting with baited breath (mayhap turkey breath if it's tomorrow) to hear the good news or pick up the trouble-shooting where we left off.

R

9. aw213

aw213 Guest

Success!

Before I could not burn onto any media:
    Now I can burn on Verbatim DVD-R, and DVD-RW. The brand I started with does not work for me.

I disconnected my DVD re-writer, 'cleaned out' Nero, restored to a recent checkpoint, and reinstalled. When I "cleaned" Nero using the utility you kindly directed me to, I was told 'errors were found'.

Checked the ASPAI and it was there.
    Copied over 3.5 GB of photos to a Verbatim DVD-RW and it worked.
    Tried same on Verbatim DVD-R and it worked.
    Tried same on BRTECH DVD-R >>no good<<.

-I tried to used Nero to playback the photos on the Verbatim DVD-R but I got an error. However, my other photo software and MS picture and fax viewer displayed them back with no problems.

-I put the DVD with photos into my Philips DVD player and it played as a slide show on my TV. Amazing. I did not know this cheap unit could open folders and read JPEGS.

I used DVDShrink 3.2 and Nero for a movie: It worked!!

regor, flip218, bobsatguy, ripvan, bbmayo, jerry746, borbaleta thanks for sharing your collective experience. I'm impressed and grateful.

In Review:

(1)you all told me to check out the media: You were right, I had problems.
    (2) you suggested to look if I had ASPI installed and if not directed in finding and installing the piece: You were right, it had disappeared, I suspect after I downloaded and installed Nero 6.6.
    (3) You suggested I 'clean' Nero: you were right, the utility reported 'errors were found' in the registry.
    (4) You gently suggested 'back to basic' logical thinking - thank you.

I will endeavor to contribute this experience back.
    ps: oh yeah - and thanks to afterdawn for hosting the forum. Happy Thanksgiving.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2004
  10. regor

regor Regular member

That is wonderful news. Happy success story.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, you and yours!

11. flip218

aw213,

Glad to hear your successfully burning!!