1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

nero express 6 file name problems

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by roybatty, Apr 7, 2005.

1. roybatty

roybatty Member

i searched the boards for this info and didn't find anything, so i'm finally posting; i always try to solve things myself with research before a post...

i bought a lite-on dl dvd-rw that came bundled with a nero oem suite. i've been backing up dvds for a very long time, but i haven't used nero before yesterday. everything seems fine for most discs, but when i'm naming a disc (after adding the video_ts files) the file name box only allows 15 characters. now this isn't a problem for most discs, but occasionally, a file name exceeds that number. i've never had a problem like that with any other software (and i've used plenty), and i already tried re-installing and checking the company site, to no avail.

so the question is: is there a problem with this particular app, or is this something common? i was under the impression that you could use something like 31-32 characters when yr naming a file like this... i was thinking it might be something like, i'm supposed to buy an upgrade to a full version of nero, but i couldn't imagine that could actually be the reason for this... added features in a full version is usually what you expect, not semi-crippled authoring capabilities in a bundled suite...

any help would be appreciated - thanks in advance-

2. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Look on the ISO tab. File name length, ISO mode 2.

3. roybatty

roybatty Member

i feel like an idiot, but i don't see a specific iso tab. i clicked configure to open the preferences, but i can't see any way to adjust iso settings from in here. is there somewhere else i should be looking?

the only iso related setting i'm seeing is "clear archive bits of written files during iso refresh"...

can i not adjust this because it's not a full version?

4. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

Quite some time back we restricted the naming for DVD-Video Labels to only 15 characters. A long time back we used to allow Joliet format which would allow longer label names, but then quite a number or stand alone DVD Players had trouble playing these DVDs. And we would get calls and Email from upset customers.

So some time back we took the stance of only allowing 15 characters for the Label Name to ensure 100% compatibility with all DVD Players.

This limitation does not apply to Data DVDs or Data CDs of course.

Regards,

Craig
    Nero Inc
    USA

5. roybatty

roybatty Member

what a shame, since i make about 1 data dvd for every 500 video dvds i create...

6. ArmaDuck

ArmaDuck Member

Craig, I'm afraid that the character limitation that Nero introduced into 6.x seems to have limited all other DVD and CD compilation labels. Video discs are limited to 15 characters and every other type including data discs seem to be limited to 16 characters for Joliet labels.

I'm using 6.x and others have reported downgrading to 5.x allows the usage of 32 characters in the Joliet labels. A real easy way to see the actual limitation is to right click on the left disc compilation folder tree and try to rename the disc. It will stop at 15/16 characters. Could you look into that for us?

7. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

Your Right. I'll look into this and get back to you.

Regards,

Craig
    Nero Inc
    USA

8. matthewuw

matthewuw Member

Craig...

this has been driving me nuts too! if you guys issue a patch for this, it would be wonderful since I have been beating my head on the wall over this. i am really picky about how i layout my data backup cd-rs and name them. i have stopped using nero (which I paid $79 for) because it wouldn't let me name data cd-rs the way I want.

Thanks!