1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero freezes during burn

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Gins, Aug 20, 2004.

1. Gins

Gins Member

I have a Sony DRU-700a and been using Nero Burning Rom SE 6.0 for the past weeks without any errors, but since this past week almost all the burning jobs (data DVDs) ended up in failiures. At first the data DVDs would be burnt to completion but with some files not being able to be read. But now during the burning process, it just stops at a certain percentage and nothing happens. No error message or anything but it just freezes and never progresses. When the burning process hangs, the buffer level bar near the bottom reads around 20% or less, does that mean anything?

I am using PRINCO 2x DVD-Rs (yes I know they suck) but I never had this problem earlier. The only major change to my system I made was installing a PC-to-PC USB link program and a Matroska Full Codec pack, which I now have uninstalled. The wierd thing is that a Sony DVD-RW I have burns the same files that wasn't able to be burned on the DVD-Rs just fine. I thinking it may be that the DVD-Rs are crap but this wasn't a problem a week ago as I had burned many other data DVD-Rs without and problems. If I get another damn coaster, I think I'm gonna punch a hole in the wall...

2. Gins

Gins Member

Oops, I neglected to mention that I have the the burner(it's internal) in an extrernal enclosure connected via firewire. Thought that might help.

3. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Before you punch a hole in the wall, try to get better media first :)

If better media doesn't help, you can try to update your aspi layer.

4. Gins

Gins Member

Ok, since I can't afford to buy new media at the current moment, so I updated my ASPI layer but I am still getting freezes while burning a data dvd in Nero.

It seems I'm having some problems burning a particular set of files in trying to burn a data dvd, because trying to burn that particular set of files makes Nero freeze at the exact percentage every time! Is it possible that some files are unable to be burned or cause nero to freeze?

5. flip218

Is this what came with your burner? If so, it's an OEM version ... but you should still be able to get updates. I would make sure your using the most current Nero 6.

What brand of media are you using?

6. Gins

Gins Member

Yes, the Nero Burning ROM SE 6.0 came bundled with the burner, and I am using CompUSA brand PRINCO 2X DVD-Rs. I can understand that the poor disc quality can't be helped but would upgrading help?

Just in case, are there any other programs that are good for burning data DVDs?

7. flip218

Sorry but you need better media.

Yes, you can still do the updates. You just won't be able to use all the features.
    http://www.nero.com/en/nero-up.php

I say, stick to Nero ... it's not the software.

Also is your burner's firmware up to date?
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Dell 8250, Pentium 4 2.80GHz
    1.5 GB RDRAM, 450GB HD
    NEC 2510A, Sony DDU-1612 DVD-ROM
    XP Pro, ATI All-In-Wonder 9000 Pro[/small]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2004
  8. Gins

Gins Member

I went to Sony's site to check for firmware but they seemed to not have any. How can I tell if my firmware is out of date? I don't want to ruin my drive by accident.

9. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Gins,

That's like a guy with a car which has a flat tire and tells the garage mechanic, I understand that a flat tire can't be helped but would a good wash and wax help ?

Ignoring the crappy Prince media you'll continue to have the symptoms you're experiencing presently until the decent media arrives upon the scene - -

Start looking for Sony, RiData, Ritek G04's OR Verbatim "DataLife" media

cheers,

PS You can still do the wash and Wax so the car will look good when the tire finally arrives.

_X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    The “old man” Pete (ö¿ô)
    Compaq 8000, Pent IV CPU 2.84GHz, 1024MB RAM, 520GB HD.
    Pioneer 107, 8X R/W , Nec R/W ND-1300A, JLMS DVD ROM.
    128MB GeForce4 TI 4200, O/S XP[/small]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2004
  10. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

11. bj2x

bj2x Member

I have the same problem with my NEC ND-2510A. Everything seems to work great, but then the read buffer drops, dvd burners light goes out, read buffer goes back to 100% but the burning process never starts again. The only thing that keeps working is the time countdown. After a while I have to push ctrl+alt+del to end Nero 6.3.1.6. After this I have to restart to get the failed dvdr out.

Can anybody help me please, I'm distroying a lot of dvdr's.

Thanx