1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero installs but wont RUN!

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by jeffko, Dec 23, 2007.

1. jeffko

jeffko Guest

...but the programs will not execute. You click on them from the desktop icon, or the program group, you will see the hourglass briefly (about one second)

Nero has sent me (after usually waiting a week at a time, the same instruction, but with a different update. Here is what they have sent:

Dear Mr. Jeffko,

thank you for your e-mail.

Did you use the latest version 8.2.8.0 for installation?

We recommend the following procedure for installation if you are facing problems like the one you
    describe:

1.) Uninstall all Nero applications using the CleanTool
    2.) Manually delete remaining Nero entries
    3.) Install the latest version of Nero 8

If the installation problem still persists, we require specific information for further analysis.
    Please send us the following files:

4.) The Log archive NeroSupport.cab
    5.) Error message(s) as a screenshot

1.)
    Uninstall all Nero applications using the Nero CleanTool

First, you should completely uninstall all Nero 8 applications from your computer. Please proceed
    with the following steps:

1. Find your Nero 8 serial number.
    2. Uninstall all Nero 8 programs using the Nero CleanTool

For a later reinstallation of Nero 8 it is necessary that you find and note your serial number
    before uninstalling Nero.

Please proceed as follows to find your Nero 8 serial number in Nero ControlCenter:
    Click "Start" in the Windows start menu.
    Subsequently click the entries "All Programs"-"Nero 8”-"Nero ToolKit"–“Nero
    ControlCenter”.
    -> Nero Control Center will open.
    Click the "Licence" icon on the left side to see your serial number.
    -> Your serial number is displayed in the window on the right.
    Please write down your serial number.

Alternatively, you can also find your serial number in the Windows registry.
    Please proceed as follows:
    Click the "Run" command.
    -> The window "Run" will open.
    Enter "regedit" in the "Open" text field and click the "OK" button.
    -> The registry window will open.
    You will find your serial number on the left side in the navigation tree.
    Simply go into the path
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Nero\Installation\Families\Nero 8\Info
    -> Your serial number is displayed next to the "Serial8" entry. It is structured as follows:
    1K2x-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx or
    2K2x-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx or
    9k2x-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx
    Please write down your serial number.

Now start uninstalling all Nero 8 applications from your computer using the Nero 8 CleanTool.
    Please proceed as follows:

Download the Nero 8 CleanTool, save this file to your desktop.
    http://www.nero.com/link.php?topic_id=109&gen_id=8
    Unzip the ZIP-file with WinZip or WinRAR and save the content to your hard drive.
    Double-click on the unzipped EXE-file to start the CleanTool.
    -> The window “Nero General Clean Tool” will open. The installed Nero version will be
    displayed.
    Activate the checkboxes in the displayed Nero version.
    Then click the “Clean” button.
    -> A status window will open.
    The execution of the tool may take several minutes.
    Please wait until the progress bar has moved completely to the right.
    In the window “Nero General Clean Tool” click the “Exit” button as soon as the erasing
    procedure is completed.
    Reboot your computer.
    -> The Nero 8 CleanTool has removed all Nero entries from your computer.

2.)
    Manually delete remaining Nero entries

It is possible that after using the Nero CleanTool, some Nero entries still remain on your
    computer.
    Please delete these entries manually.
    For this, five essential steps are necessary:

1. Delete Nero from the directory “Programs”, if applicable.
    2. Delete Nero from the directory “Common files”, if applicable.
    3. Delete the folder “Temp” from the directory “Local settings”.
    4. Delete Nero from the registry, if applicable.
    5. Reboot you computer.

Delete Nero from the directory “Programs”

Right-click the "Start" button in the Windows start menu and select the entry “Explorer”.
    -> The Windows Explorer will open.
    In the drop-down menu select the menu item “System (C:)” and click the folder “Programs”.
    Can you see the folder “Nero” in this directory?
    If that is the case, please right-click the folder “Nero” and select the entry “Delete” in
    the menu.
    -> The window “Confirm the folder deletion” will open.
    Confirm this by clicking the “Yes” button.
    If the deletion of single subfolders is not possible, follow the path
    “C:\Programs\Nero\Nero 7“ respectively
    “C:\Programs\Nero\Nero 8“
    and delete the subfolders individually by right-clicking the respective folder and selecting the
    entry “Delete” in the menu.

Folders and files that cannot be deleted may remain in the respective directory.
    Please let us know which files and folders these are and what the error message tells you during
    the deletion.

Delete Nero from the directory “Common files”

Right-click the "Start" button in the Windows start menu and select the entry “Explorer”.
    In the drop-down menu select the menu item “System (C:)” and subsequently click the folders
    “Programs” and “Common files”.
    Can you see the folder “Ahead” respectively "Nero" in that folder?
    If that is the case, right-click the folder “Ahead” respectively "Nero" and select the entry
    “Delete” in the menu.
    If the deletion of single subfolders is not possible, follow the path
    “C:\Programs\Common files\Ahead“ respectively
    “C:\Programs\Common files\Nero“
    and delete the subfolders individually by right-clicking the respective folder and selecting the
    entry “Delete” in the menu.

Folders and files that cannot be deleted may remain in the respective directory.
    Please let us know which files and folders these are and what the error message tells you during
    the deletion.

Delete the folder “Temp” from the directory “Local settings”

Please open the follwing directory:
    under Windows Vista:
    c:\User\<your username>\AppData/Local
    under Windows XP:
    C:\Dokuments and Settings\<your username>Local Settings

You will find the subfolder “Temp” in this location.
    Right-click the folder “Temp” and select the entry “Delete” in the menu.

If the folder “Local settings” is not displayed in this directory, check the following
    settings in Windows:
    In the menu bar of Windows Explorer select the "Tools" menu. Select "Folder Options", go to the
    "View" tab, and in the navigation tree under "Hidden files and folders" select the option "Show
    hidden files and folders". Confirm this change by clicking the "Apply" and "OK" buttons.

Delete Nero from the registry
    Click the "Run" command.
    -> The window "Run" will open.
    Enter "regedit" in the "Open" text field and click the "OK" button.
    -> The registry window will open.

First check if there is still the entry “Ahead” in the navigation tree on the left side of the
    window under the path HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\.
    If that is the case, right-click the folder “Ahead” and select the entry “Delete” in the
    menu.
    -> The window “Confirm the key deletion” will open.

Then check if there is still the entry “Nero” in the navigation tree on the left side of the
    window under the path HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\.
    If that is the case, right-click the folder “Nero” and select the entry “Delete” in the
    menu.

Now check if there is still the entry “Ahead” in the navigation tree on the left side of the
    window under the path HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\.
    If that is the case, right-click the folder “Ahead” and select the entry “Delete” in the
    menu.
    Confirm this by clicking the “Yes” button

Finally check if there is still the entry “Nero” in the navigation tree on the left side of
    the window under the path HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\.
    If that is the case, right-click the folder “Nero” and select the entry “Delete” in the
    menu.

Reboot you computer

Close all open windows and reboot your computer.

3.)
    Install the latest version of Nero 8

To install the latest Nero 8 version, please proceed as follows:
    (Note: do not install a previous Nero 8 version from an installation CD now, but download and
    install the latest version of Nero 8 from our website. All Nero 8 download versions have the full
    range of functions as an original Nero 8 installation CD. There is no need to install a previous
    version of Nero first.)

Download and install the latest Nero 8 version from our website using the following link:
    http://www.nero.com/eng/downloads-nero8-update.php
    Save this file to your desktop.
    Double-click the downloaded Nero 8 installation file to start the installation.
    Enter your Nero 8 serial number during the installation to make your Nero into a permanent
    version.
    (The download without a serial number is a trial version only).
    -> You now have a newly installed version of Nero 8 on your computer.

If the installation problem still persists, please send us the following files:

4.)
    The Log archive NeroSupport.cab

Please click the following link in order to download the file "GetSupportFiles.zip" to your hard
    drive:

http://www.nero.com/link.php?topic_id=209&gen_id=8

Extract the zipped file on your hard drive using WinZip or WinRAR. Start the tool by
    double-clicking on the EXE-file.

Once the tool ran successfully, you will find a file called "NeroSupport.cab" on your desktop.
    Please send us this file as an e-mail attachment.

1. The following information will be gathered:
    - All available log files of different Nero applications
    - System information given by the Windows tool "MSInfo32"
    - Information about the installed DirectX version. To get the information the Windows application
    "DXDiag" will be used
    - The "SETUPAPI.LOG" log file. This file will list all installed devices, Windows Service Packs
    and Windows Hotfixes.
    - The "TWAIN.LOG" log file. This log will list the installed devices recognized via TWAIN
    - The "SchedLgU.txt" log file. This file will show information about currently scheduled tasks
    (e.g. the JobScheduler in Nero BackItUp)
    - Certain entries in the registry:
    a. Information which settings will run the correlating Nero application
    b. Information about the CD/DVD drives' installation

2. In case the "GetSupportFiles" will crash, it will automatically recognize which diagnostics
    program caused the crash. Once the tool is run again, it will omit the program, causing the crash.
    So if "GetSupportFiles" crashes, simply start it again.

5.)
    Error message(s) as a screenshot

Please send us a screenshot displaying the problem so we can properly analyze the issue.
    This screenshot will help us to find a solution.

To create the screenshot, please proceed as follows:

As soon as the problem occurs, press the Print Screen key ("Prt Sc") on your keyboard (next to the
    F12 key).
    If you have a laptop this process may be slightly different. On a laptop keyboard you will need to
    simultaneously hold down the function key ("Fn") and the Print Screen ("Prt Sc") key.
    -> You have now created a picture of your screen.
    Windows will not give you any apparent options. The screenshot is currently only saved in the
    Windows clipboard.

Now launch the program Microsoft Paint and proceed as follows:
    Subsequently select the entries "All Programs"-"Accessories"-"Paint".
    -> The program Microsoft Paint will open.

In Microsoft Paint, go to the menu bar, select "Edit" followed by "Paste".
    -> The screenshot is now displayed in the Microsoft Paint window.

Go to the menu bar and select "File" followed by "Save as".
    -> The window "Save as" will open.

Name the file and select the "JPEG" format as the file type in the dropdown menu.
    Then click the "Save" button.
    -> The picture will be automatically saved to the "My Pictures" folder located in "My Documents".

Please send us this file as an e-mail attachment.

Should you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Best Regards,

XXXX XXXXXX
    Nero Support

Knowing full well the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over, expecting a different result is surefire insanity, I spent another 4 hours with this project last night and have gotten the same results. I need to get away from the Nero-nerds and speak to some people that may know a better idea.

I am not going to delete my passords again for these idiots from Nero. Maybe this is payback for the years I used it free a long time ago.

The only different result I had this time is this:

Unable to register C:\Program Files\Nero\Nero8\Nero Burning Rom\Nero.exe.Error code:-1073741819

I went out and bought the boxed version to see if it was the download causing problems, same deal there too. I now have Roxio 10 and use it, but I really like the Nero features too.

I hope one of you can click and point me to a Merry Christmas. I got this the day it came out, It has never worked, Nero has sent me 9 emails on how to fix this. I have built three of the four computer here at home, and the fourth is not used.

Thanks if you have read this far.

Jeffko

2. tripplite

tripplite Guest

this may seem stupid but check
    btw:what is your os (operating system)
    and specs
    FIRST GO INTO SAFE MODE
    you'll find theres a restore point right before you installed nero and any of this mess started,lets revert back to there go start>control panel> make sure your in category view(enabled in the left hand corner)>"Performance and Maintenance"> then go to the left hand corner and select restore point and find one before you installed nero

try installing it in safe mode with no other apps running,after going back in time....

COMPLETE THIS OPERATION IN SAFE MODE

nero often comes into trouble with your drivers, lets make sure there all accounted for, right click my computer>properties> select the hardware tab> and then select device manager> make sure to scan for changes and update any old drivers

also did you get nero from the official source, try and get a new setup

nero seems to have many different parts, i think your trying to launch the home area, sometimes this part of nero is buggy and doesn't launch,
    lets try to open utility's of nero one by one

(you can make a new short cut by selecting the .exe right clicking on it and selecting th option "Create short cut", you can also just launch the .exe by double clicking on it)
    go to my computer, hard drive C: or whatever drive nero is installed in, then go program folders and find the folder named "NERO"(or something similar), inside you'll find a series of folder(or one folder that opens to many folders), "NAMES MAY DIFFER"
    [​IMG]

open them up and a few if not all of them will have .exe files (usually have a name and icon thats different), FOR EXAMPLE
    LETS SELECT THE "CORE FOLDER"
    [​IMG]
    i have circled the .exe (executive program), see if it will launch, do any of them launch?, do any of them complete actions when launched?

BTW(i hate nero)
    this looks like quite the problem and if i think of anything else i'll post back
    good luck and have a safe holiday
    -tripplite

3. jeffko

jeffko Guest

Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (build 2600)
    Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. 965P-DQ6
    Enclosure Type: Desktop
    1.87 gigahertz Intel Core 2 Duo
    64 kilobyte primary memory cache
    2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache
    Board: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. 965P-DQ6
    Bus Clock: 266 megahertz
    BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. F10 04/27/2007
    1140.24 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    697.95 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space
    3072 Megabytes Installed Memory

I tried to launch the programs inside their folders, they replicate the actions. Same problem.

All of your suggestions have been tried.

It was real nice of you to spend this time, thank you.

Blessings

Jeff

4. tripplite

tripplite Guest

jeffko i feel for you man, this why i left nero, its to buggy, have you thought of just getting nero 7? really you wont be missing out on much

this leads me to believe that the entire program is corrupt,if it was a registry problem the programs would still launch, they might have locked up but for sure they would have launched, i suggest a new setup
    file, re download it

BTW: change your title to something like "Nero installs but wont RUN!"
    the better your title the better chance you have of experienced members to answer them, your title should be more informative thats all:)

stick with us im sure in a few days after the holidays somebody will get you answer!!
    good luck man!!(hpy holidays)
    -tripplite