1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero interferring with DVD shrink?

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by aragami, Aug 26, 2007.

1. aragami

aragami Member

I used to use Nero vers 6 and I used to be able to use DVD Shrink and DVD decrypter.

Since my version of Nero wouldn't allow me to burn video files to DVD I upgraded recently and went to using Nero 7.10.1.0 and now it lets me burn .avi files I have on my computer to DVD.

Now however when I try to use DVD shrink or Decrypter I'll put the disk in and then it takes FOREVER to read and I keep getting a cyclic redundancy error message on Shrink.

With DVD decrypter I keep getting:
    I/O Error!
    http://www.screencast.com/t/XO9Hmeie (screen shot of the error message using Jing)

I had absolutely no errors before installing the new version of Nero when it comes to reading a disk.

Then again it might not be Nero directly causing the problems but let me say my burner gets heavy use. With the new Nero I've been converting .avi to DVD in compliations able to be played on most DVD players. Some of which caused burns which would last for 5-8 hours. I guess burning for so long (ok... recoding, compliation and burning which Nero does... the whole process does).

I am wondering if it's Nero conflicting with my DVD decryptor/DVD shrink or not. It seemed to happen right after I upgraded versions of Nero.

I also am having a hard time playing a DVD just to view on my computer too...

2. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

first off it's not Nero causeing your problem....... that error that you show is a reading error from the disk! it does say Check Condition meaning that there is a problem with the DVD not Nero. I would clean the disk with a mild cleaner that doesn't leave residue on the disk with a lint free cloth. When wiping the disk clean.... do NOT rub in circles! Take the cloth and wipe the disk from the inner hub circle in a straight line to the outer edge! this is the proper way of cleaning a CD or DVD as to not cause any marks on the DVD in circles for that's how the laser reads the disk! If you cause a circular mark on the disk the laser will have trouble reading your disk and that's why you are cleaning the disk anyways because the disk is having reading errors. Hopefully it's not from scratches but from finger prints or smudges that when cleaned reading the disk should be no problem. If your disk has no scratches and after cleaning your disk properly and you still have reading errors.... then you might have a bad press. If you have a bad press then you need to replace that disk with a new one! Also consider that DVDDecrypter and Shrink are old programs and will have problems with newer DVDs with newer encryptions and you should try out a newer ripper like DVDFab HD Decrypter, it's free, always updated, and found here: http://www.dvdfab.com/free.htm
    see if this helps you! good luck and happy burning.....

I also just recently switched from Nero 6 to Nero 7..... same version as you have and I don't have any problems so far! But know that Nero isn't your problem .... it's the disk.....

3. aragami

aragami Member

The disks I burn to are the bottom of the spindle and the top portion burned alright.

What's causing me to worry is that two disks in a row aren't wanting to read on DVD Decrypter or DVD shrink or on VLC player or any other player on my computer.

I just tried a DVD I burned and it seems to run alright on my computer but anything that is mass released for viewing doesn't seem to want to work at all.

UPDATE:.... ok it must of been the 7-8 hour burn I did the other day cause now all disks are running fine again. Overnight I was thinking that my DVD drive might of got too hot so I turned my computer off. In the morning it still didn't want to work. I went to work and now after work when I try it again it seems to be working alright.

I guess it had to cool down? Must of got too hot to read anything?

4. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

it should never take more than 30mins to rip and burn.... taking hours your drive can slip into PIO mode! not good.... read about DMA issues:
    http://winhlp.com/?q=node/10

5. aragami

aragami Member

I only have .768 ram (I have an old computer and upgraded my ram at the begining of the year. I was stunned when me and a friend were pricing mother boards on newegg and they start out at 2 gigs now and go up to like 6. Meanwhile at the time I only had 256 MB ram. I upgraded RAM the most I could, which was .768).

I always figured it was my ram or lack there of that cause the burning/ripping processes to go slow. Although ripping would take 1 - 1 1/2 hours and burning would take about 2 hours to do.

My brother left his tower unit when he left to go over seas and he ok'd me to use it, I guess I should put it to use as it is VERY up to date and he actually works on it every year to make it the best it can be with what's currently being clearanced on the market in regards to last years hottest item that as recently be advanced past and is just now obsolete but was made within the past year).

6. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

sounds like you do need an upgrade. using Nero 7 with low ram..... not good. You can pick up a new computer for less than 500.00 that would be better than what you seem to have. good luck to you.

7. aragami

aragami Member

ok... someone suggested the disk and it turns out that is what it is.

I've been only trying 2 disks this whole time and I noticed the one I wasn't trying as much is severly scratched... wonder if I'm gonna have to pay for that (rented)... :(

The other one I was trying the most didn't appear THAT scratched but it didn't want to work after 30%. Tried a DVD I own just now and it made it to 100%.

As for upgrading my computer... I can't afford a new one right now. I do get overtime in a couple months (Holiday Season + Retail work = Big money) and I might be able to get something better then this then. Hopefully.

8. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

as you can see ....... that someone was me!!!! the only one in this thread that is responding to you!

Last edited: Aug 27, 2007
  9. aragami

aragami Member

Whops, I apologize. I'm terribly sorry about that.

I wasn't aware, it's been a long day... hell week. I am SOOO looking forward to the next two days cause I'm off and I can finally get more then 5 hours of sleep a night.

I know my computer is a dinosaur and hearing that a under $500 can beat mine makes me feel kinda... sad.

It's like when you heard that the car you own and paid thousands for is now listed in the Blue Book for only $700 (if your lucky).

Thanks for your help, you've been pretty kind and sorry bout all that LOL.

10. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

hey man....... don't sweat the small stuff! And you know about depressiation!