1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero Menu Freezes Program (XP SP2)

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by emmgee, Jun 24, 2007.

1. emmgee

emmgee Member

Hello folks. I need your help!

I'm having some trouble that I've NEVER had before with Nero 6.6.1.5 making DVD's. I've E-mailed Nero last week, but
    heard nothing back, a week later. YES, I did get the "go here to learn more" and update e-mail back. My problem was not addressed with any of the links they sent within the E-mail.

Problem:

Importing AVI and mpeg 1 & 2 files works, then I get this "frozen" look for about 45 seconds, that I never gotten before. Some parts of the screen aren't "updating" and if I click, parts turn that white blank color.

Another issue, which may be related... When editing the DVD menu/template, the program freezes up IMMEDIATELY. I can not change menu templates, make changes to a menu. When I do, I can move the mouse, so the system is ok, but cannot even cancel or close the "not responding" program. I must exit the program via task manager. The problem starts by hitting "Edit Menu" button below the menu preview pane.

I'm not having any other issue with this, making movies, burning DVD's, exporting, burning CD's, backing up things, etc.

Note that it still works to make a DVD without changing the menu. When I do that, the DVD is fine. Yet, the menu is a menu for something else, with an image of another menu text and template. For example, "How to Open A Box" menu is on ""Clipping Coupons In the Paper," which isn't the right DVD menu for "Coupons." Only when I change the menu, the program freezes.

Other facts:

- Running updated Windows XP SP2
    - Running Nero 6.6.1.5 through "SmartStart"
    - Nero 6 upgrades done from Nero.com site, so up to date (to Nero 6.6.1.15a)
    - Nero's registry checker DID NOT work, from Nero. com
    - Driver-clean tool done, one conflicting DVD driver out, but did not solve the issue after restart.
    - General Clean Tool done to uninstall program. Lower version (re-installed) does the same thing, with and without updating.
    - Nero is allowed to get passed the firewall, in case it updates.
    - Memory isn't an issue, since it's 2 gig machine that had only "Nero" running/active. no windows message on memory problems.
    - No problems in Device Manager.
    - Rebooting the system does nothing to solve this.
    - This issue recently came up, but worked before. No other programs installed since, so there shouldn't be conflicts.

I prefer Nero, because I can do so many things with the Menu and as a whole for exporting/converting, etc. Would be a shame if I used anything else, since nothing stacked up like Nero did... for a while.

2. hobbit112

hobbit112 Regular member

I too have a Nero which suffers from this malady, but mine is Nero 6.6.0.18.

I've found a work-a-round in that I "save" whenever possible. Mine freezes during editing of the movie mainly, but has also happened during editing menus and also during chapter encoding during burn to disk. By saving the project frequently, when Nero freezes, I end with task manager or sometimes by clicking the X, restart Nero, load the saved project and continue where it froze. By using this method I have been able to continue past where Nero froze.

I have not figured out what causes this. I've been suspecting a hardware failure of some sort as this is an old computer with many upgrades, but still an old computer.

3. emmgee

emmgee Member

Well, this PC is only about 9 months old. I can literally do everything else in the world on it. Strange how SONIC works, but I don't get the Menu EFX with that program.