1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero miniDVD

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by GlennT, Aug 26, 2003.

1. GlennT

GlennT Regular member

hey, i just noticed the miniDVD option on the new version of Nero. This sounds good, cos you can get DVD onto a normal CD-R. But i tried making a short DVD with it, and it burnt ok to my CD-R, but it won't play on my home DVD-Player (which has no problem playing VCD's and DVD-R's)

any idea how to get this working???

also, what's the maximum (roughly speaking) you could fit onto a CD-R, without having to use dvd2One to reduce quality.

2. GlennT

GlennT Regular member

by the way, i used TMPGEnc to convert my video file to DVD PAL format, then TMPGEnc DVD Author to create the DVD files for nero.

3. Yuriv

Yuriv Regular member

The maximum you could put on a MiniDVD depends entirely on the bitrate that you use (as with most formats)...the basic formula is: The more you put on the disc, the lower the quality. A whole movie on a MIniDVD would probably be unwatchable.

There is probably nothing wrong with your MiniDVD itself, but it is an unofficial format and is virtually unsupported by standalones.

If you really want to put video on CDRs but want better quality than VCD, I would suggest using SVCD, which is more widely supported. (If this format won't work in your player either, you can use the VCD header trick explained over at www.dvdrhelp.com.)

4. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Isnt a miniDVD an 8cm DVD disc that stores 1.4GB, like the ones i have in front of me lol.

5. GlennT

GlennT Regular member

ok, well thanx for the help. yeah i made vcd's before and they work fine, i just thought that if i could make miniDVD's they'd be a little better quality (cos sometimes the VCD's are very bad, almost unwatchable, but the original avi/mpg files play fine on my pc).so long as i only use shirt clips. i was planning on basically using it to put single music video's on, or possible putting a few videos on at a time, depending on what the maximum you can fit is???

anyway i never heard of those 8cm ones, so there you go.

i guess my dvd player just doesn't support miniDVD's :(

oh well, i'll stick to VCD then

6. Yuriv

Yuriv Regular member

Actually, MiniDVD is a term used to describe authoring a DVD on a regular CDR. It was experimented with a lot before DVD-R became a household technology, but largely fell by the wayside due to virtual lack of compatibility.
    I also have never seen an 8cm DVD-R, but, like the little 8cm CDRs, would have little use for one if I did.
    GlennT: I suggest that you try out the SVCD format, which is sort of in between VCD and DVD in terms of both quality and compatibility. Try out a program called DVD2SVCD...

7. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

SVCD nearly always means a 2 disc solution though , which to me has never been acceptible.
    However I know of the MiniDVD Oriphus speaks of [ http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk/ ] and if it holds 1.4Gb you can put MPEG straight onto it , or use DVD Author to make it VOB

8. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Yuriv - was just kidding - dRD pointed out the difference between the two to me about 3 months ago. The miniDVD format is great, but not needed by me since i have a DVD Writer. Also, the 8cm DVD's are pretty useless to the general public, i think they are more geared toward promotional companies.

http://www.chrismccann.co.uk/ritek_8cm.htm

9. Yuriv

Yuriv Regular member

No prob Chris,

Keep up the good work!

10. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

lol - you too mate :D