1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

nero multi-session DVD

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by scorp8019, Oct 26, 2004.

1. scorp8019

scorp8019 Member

I recently clean out my hard drive and re-installed windows. before i did that i backed up all my files on a dvd. I used up about 3.5 gigabytes which left me with about 1.3 gigabytes of unused disc space. I didn't want to waste it so i made it a multi-session dvd which would allow me to add more files to the dvd later. now that i have windows re-installed i realized that windows wont read my multi-session disc. can someone help me out? is there any software that will let me read and extract my files from this disc Or is there an other operating system that is compatible with this nero multisession disc?

2. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

So, the question is, did you make it a Multisession the first time you wrote to the DVD, or only the second time?

When you first write to a DVD, you must at this time choose if it's to be a Multisession disc or not.

If you did not do this, and you wrote to the disc a second time, then the first session is lost.

So the question is, what process did you use, exactly?

Regards,

Craig

Ahead Software
    USA

3. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Wrong forum. Thread moved :)

4. scorp8019

scorp8019 Member

ive only recorded once so far, it was at this time that i chose it to be a multi-session disc... there's still 1.3 gigabytes left on the disc unused. i can see my files are still there when i open the DVD using nero... but when i try to browse with windows, i see nothing. I was just wondering if there was a way to extract those files... obviously i cant do it through windows. Windows cant read my multi-session disc.

5. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

I would recommend using a different model DVD-ROM drive to read the disc. I've seen Multisession DVD's created that would not even read it from the Recorder that created it, though using software like Nero it does detect the session(s).

Normally, just going to another system with a different DVD-ROM drive would allow me to read it. Sometimes, by adding a second session, the disc would be readable on a drive that could not read it previously. It's because of this compatibility issue, that we warn you before creating a Multisession DVD that some drives may not be able to read the disc.

Regards,

Craig
    Ahead Software
    USA

6. scorp8019

scorp8019 Member

Yes, I remember the warning,LOL. I'll try another dvd-rom drive. I was fooling around with the nero software and found that i can save the track on the dvd to the hard drive. cant really do anything with the file except burn it on another dvd... if all else fails i guess ill just do that. thank you so much for your support. I really appreciate it.

7. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

Once you use the Save Track feature to save the session to your Hard Drive as an NRG image file, you can use the Nero ImageDrive utility to mount the image as if it were a DVD-ROM, and then you can copy back to your Hard Drive. Or just run from there.

Wish I could provide better suggestions. :-(

Regards,

Craig
    Ahead Software
    USA