1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero mysteries

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by lukeinoz, Aug 4, 2004.

1. lukeinoz

lukeinoz Guest

I'll try to be to the point

*I have looked through the forums for answers to these questions with no luck. I am a newbie but I am trying to educate myself.

*recently bought a Medion8083 from ALDI which comes with Nero Ultra 6.3.1.3 SE/OEM

*when I do video captures in Vision Express I am not getting audio.

*if I do a video capture in Power Director (also included with the computer) I DO get audio.

*when I take a video capture that I've done in Power Director (which DOES have audio) and then open it in Nero Vision Express for editing...no audio.

*I assume this is a symptom of only having an OEM version of Nero...would that be right ?

*If yes, I can't believe there isn't anything, anywhere, that I can find which tells me what functions the OEM version of Nero will NOT perform. Very sloppy. For all I know the software just could be buggy, which doesn't inspire confidence.

*I would like to upgrade to a full version of Nero however the above scenario has made me reluctant.

*Has anyone else experienced the above...and was the audio problem I am experiencing resolved with a full version of Nero ?

*If I bite the bullet and buy the serial number/upgrade...how can I tell if I have gone from an OEM version to a full version ? Is there some kind of message ? Do things look different ?

This is the first time I've ever done anything like this so I'm a bit nervous. Any advise sincerely appreciated.

Cheers,
    Luke

2. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

The OEM version of NeroVision Express SE does support audio. I don't think any developer in their right mind would only allow the Video portion and not the audio. :)

It's true that with some Capture cards, mostly USB or capture cards with their own MPEG encoding hardware built in, are known to cause trouble when it comes to our NeroVision Express software captureing both the audio and video. For example, the Dazzle Digital Video Creator 80 USB capture device. With this device, the current version of NVE will only capture the video portion, not the audio portion. This has been addressed, and a future release will resolve this.

But there are other capture cards that we have seen this issue with, and we are working on those as well. We do have a list of capture cards posted on the Nero Website that we have confirmed are 100% compatible with our software. And any capture card that follows the DirectShow standard will be compatible with our NeroVision Express software.

As for Video capture with other software, that has been confirmed to have both the Audio and the Video, we should not have any trouble with this.

I would recommend upgrading to the latest version of NeroVision Express from the Nero Website and see if this resolves your issue. If not, go over the configuration of your sound on your system. I have found in some case the MUTE option is enabled for Line-In or for Video files and this can cause problems. Double-Click on the Sound Icon in the Systray and under Options and Poperties select all the components. Then go to OPtions and Advanced Control and make sure no features are muted. See if this resolves your issue.

Regards,

Craig

3. lukeinoz

lukeinoz Guest

Thank you for the reply Craig...very much appreciated.

No audio options are muted.

I tried to download the Vision Express today from nero.com as you suggested. I had been reluctant to do this because I was reading stories of people doing this only to have their whole Nero package shutdown on them...although this seems to be in illegal OEM versions that are being sold separate from any hardware...which is not the case with my version.

Not being able to afford a high speed connection, downloading a 20MB+ file with a 56k modem is no small task as you can imagine. I made 2 attempts to download the file...both of them resulted in the following message after successfully downloading and then opening them:

"CRC failed in Nero Showtime\ShowTime.exe. Unexpected end of archive".

If I can't rely on the Nero site itself to get updates...where can I get them from ?

This is becoming increasingly disheartening. I want to use the product I paid for in Nero (and I DID pay for it, I am not using some dodgy pirated version) but I keep hitting brick walls. I have had no response from the Nero technical support email address.

One of the main reasons I bought a new computer was to start transferring my old analogue video tapes to a digital medium. One of the BIG attractions to the ALDI computer was the fact that it came with Nero which I had read is a good program for the task of capturing analogue video. My situation remains unchanged, I get a great video capture picture...but no audio.

Feeling very deflated after two 20MB downloads from the nero website that only gave error messages :eek:(

Luke

4. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

Hi Luke,

I'm very familiar with the CRC error message, and it's always caused by a corrupted download, or when installing from a CD a failed install due to dust, scratches, or even a defective disc creatging by the replicator.

I have a 56k modem at home as well, and it does take more than one download attempt at times with files of this size before you get a download that is solid. :-(

Our Tech Support team normally responds to emails within 3 to 7 working days. We are currently at a 4 day working day response time on our emails, as of today.

Do you have a colleague that can download the program for you? Preferably one who has DSL or Cable connection. :)

But to be honest, if you can wait a 4 to 5 working days, we expect to post a new version of our NeroVision Express that will support some new capture cards we had issues with, as well as improvements in our MPEG Encoder. Among other changes. I would prefer that you upgraded to this new version that is on the way.

You can send me an email at techsupport4@nero.com and I will see why your Email has not been responded to yet. (If it has not yet been 4 working days I can understand why you may not of had a response yet.)
    And I can see how I can help you directly.

Regards,

Craig

5. lukeinoz

lukeinoz Guest

Hi again Craig

Well, the bad news is that I still haven't been able to download the latest Vision Express update...although I'm working on that...and it sounds like the one that's about to be released will be worth the effort.

The good news however...is that I seem to have fixed the main problem of no audio with my video captures. Bear in mind that I am not confident with a lot of this stuff. I know a fair bit about the net...and I'm not computer illiterate, but I don't know much about the technical side of a computer. If something "breaks" or stops working...well, I don't have the practical skills to know how to fix it.

Despite this, I eventually decided to put the Nero disc into my new computer and see if I could reinstall the software. I was nervous because I really didn't know what I was doing...but as soon as I did it and the first screen popped up I noticed that there seemed to be stuff there that wasn't on my computer when I bought it from ALDI. I installed it all again...choosing everything...and was delighted to discover that my captures now have audio. Whatever the problem was, it was fixed by the reinstall.

The upshot of all this is that the problem WAS NOT with Nero...it was a combination of the fact that Nero (seemingly) wasn't fully installed when I bought the computer from ALDI...made worse by my lack of experience and confidence with troubleshooting.

Everything is working really well now (so far) and I want to thank you Craig for going out of your way to help me...really appreciated and it's gone a long way in building my confidence with using and purchasing Nero software.

I've clicked on the link in the Nero technical support auto response to advise your team that the problem is solved...however could you please put forward my initial concern that there doesn't seem to be a list at nero.com that explains exactly what functions are locked in the OEM version of Nero...as for some time I assumed that THAT was why I wasn't getting any audio in my video grabs and I must admit I was somewhat dissilusioned by the idea that that was why it wasn't working.

Many thanks Craig.

Cheers,
    Luke

6. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

Hi Luke,

Very good news!

As for the OEM comparison being posted on our website, that has posed a problem for us for some time.

We have 3 standard OEM packages to offer our OEMs, and they can choose which they prefer to offer. Most OEMs prefer OEM Package 2 & 3. However, our software is modular and if an OEM chooses, they can have their OEM build custom made, and a number do. And some OEMs will have one OEM build for one model recorder they ship, and then another OEM build for another model Recorder. So we could end up with 5 to 10 different OEM bundles listed on our website for comparisons. And the End user would never be able to know which one they have.

We have not posted a comparison to date, becuase we are worried it would only cause more confusion. We had hoped the OEM's would post the content of their OEM bundles on their website to avoid this confusion. But most do not do this.

Currently, we are trying to find a way to provide a comparison on our website that would not confuse the End User, and one that would not upset the OEM who bundles the solution.

As you can imagine, it's very hard to do. :-(

Regards,

Craig

7. Purdal

Purdal Member

I have been experiancing the exact same problem I bought a Pioneer 107D burner and with it was Nero OEM, which worked ok. I couldnt capture video with the OEM, so I ended up buying Nero 6, because I thought the problem was with the OEM. But the problem I am having is Nero Vision Express 2 will not capture audio. All the settings appear to be correct, and I can capture the video but there is no sound. When I check the audio settings all I can hear is a thudding sound coming from the speakers. So I have upgraded my sound card's drivers (SoundMax Digital Intergrated Audio)but it made no difference still no capture. Also the controls on the audio config window are greyed out.

If I capture the video through the tv card software (Leadtek WinFast 2000 XP) I can burn with Nero and get a really good dvd. I have also been able to capture with Ulead Movie Maker 3 (trial) but what I really want to do is use the Nero. I have posted to a couple of other forums and come accross other people who have experianced the same problem, but there does not seem to be a fix.

I sent an email to Nero support and they replied that I should uninstall and reinstall Nero, but I have only just bought the Nero 6. So any other suggestions?

Regards Flash

8. Purdal

Purdal Member

Follow up:

I did take the advice offered by Nero support, I uninstalled Nero and downloaded the latest files from Nero.com, reinstalled the program. Checked all settings, checked to ensure that nothing was muted and tried to capture. No joy. I still have no audio. And my card Leadteck WinFast Tv 2000 XP is supposedly supported by Nero...I have no idea of what to do next.

regards Flash

9. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

Hi Purdal,

I do not have that model capture card here in the U.S Lab to test, but I will obtain the card within the next week and see what is going on.

Give me a week or less and I'll have some information to provide. Either that it works, or that we need to reosolve the audio issue in our software for this capture card.

Regards,

Craig

10. Purdal

Purdal Member

No worries thanks for your reply. Would be grateful for any help you can provide.

Flash

11. lukeinoz

lukeinoz Guest

Hi again Craig.

I struck another "mystery" with Nero over the weekend. Because I initially couldn't get audio in my captures with Nero, I experimented capturing with a couple of the other Video/DVD authoring programs that were included on my computer from ALDI. According to Nero's documentation I should be able to open pretty much any media file in Nero and work with it, yet I can't open any of the mpegs I created with other programs at all. I have followed the instructions for opening existing files to the letter. Initially Nero looks like it is importing the file...but then nothing happens...no files.

Any ideas ?

Kind thanks,
    Luke

12. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

I'm kinda working in the dark with that one. :)

No error message or anything occurs? And I assume you have our latest NeroVision Express installed?

Would you be able to send me a very small 2MB sample of one such file that fails to load to me at techsupport4@nero.com so I can take a look at it?

What were the names to these 'other' programs that are causing this issue? Maybe I have one of them here that I can test to confirm this issue.

Regards,

Craig

13. mooseo

mooseo Member

I'm having similar problems with not being able to capture audio with Nero Visonexpress.

I am using some no-name capture card (that has a Zoran chipset, but I can't find any new drivers). It is supposed to have audio and video. The video portion works great with Nero; however, I get no audio.

When I go to the audio properties, it gives me 3 option for capture devices

Zoran USB Live! Pro Audio (2)
    USB Live! Pro 16k 16bit Audio(2)
    NVIDIAnForce(TM)Audio

With the Zoran selected, I get the volume bar active, but no audio capture. With e USB Live! selected (this is the name that the video capture recognizes), if I go to the Audio Input selector and try to select "Input", it crashes the program. If I go to the NVIDIA (built-in soundcard on my ASUS motherboard), I get lots of Audio Input selections, but none of them work.

I don't really care which audio input it uses, as long as one of them works.

I have upgraded to 2.1.2.18 but this did not affect the problem.

thanks for any suggestions.

14. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

Hi Mooseo,

First you need to make sure your sound settings are not muted. Double-click on the sound Icon in your TaskBar, or from the Control Panel.

Go to Options->Properties and check all the boxes there. Then go to Options->Advanced control and make sure nothing is muted.

What operating system are you running under? If you are under XP, it has the ability to capture as well. You can see if it has the same issue of no audio playing. If it does, then drivers could be your problem.

More than likely, Zoran USB life, is the option you should be selecting for the sound setup.

Regards,

Craig

15. mooseo

mooseo Member

Hi,
    Thanks for the thoughts. I've checked, and nothing is muted.

I'm running XP... just loaded MovieMaker 2.0, and it works. It doesn't seem to be able to use the Zoran sound capture input, but it can capture from my sound card. I'm not sure that it is capturing at the same resolution, though... seems to want to do 320x240... but I'm not really sure... Nero can load the files and burn them to DVD, so I seem to be in business.

So, a passable workaround, thanks.

16. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

Looks like I need to add that to a list of capture devices we need to obtain and provide support for.

Where did you get the capture card device? 'No Name' makes it difficult. :)

Regards,

Craig

17. mooseo

mooseo Member

Hi Craig,

I certainly agree with you that the no-name makes it difficult! It is literally a small black box with a USB cable and a few RCA jacks. On the bottom it says
    "USB Video Adapter (With Audio)"
    "Made in Taiwan"
    and it has a serial number.

I even just found the box under my desk which says:
    "Easy, Quickly , Friendly USD Video Adapter With Audio"
    and a model number, GA-VD200...

A google search on this model number brings me to this company selling it:
    http://www.computex.com.tw/georgia/detail_productmain_virtual.asp?id=29352&index=08976&pcode=GW022

Device manager just lists it as a Zoran device
    (driver 4.0.25.95 from 9/12/2001).

My guess is that it is functionally identical to this product by Belkin:
    http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&Product_Id=88962

But I think that I got it for about 1/2 the price.

Since I didn't easily get Windows MovieMaker to capture audio from it, I have no real way to tell if the audio portion works at all...

For using Nero, it would be nice to work out why it crashes when I select one of the two audio components (it offers to send an error report to Microsoft... don't know if there is info in that file which might help you) and also why it can't access my sound card for audio capture.

cheers,
    mike

18. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the feedback and links. I'll create a but report and add the links so we can obtain the device.

And if you sent the error report to Microsoft, they will be in contact with our engineers, and foward the error report to them.

Regards,

Craig

19. Purdal

Purdal Member

Follow up

Hi Craig, seems I made a mistake when I checked with the Nero site, the winfast supported card, the Leadtek Winfast 2000 XP Expert. The card I have is Leadtek Winfast 2000 XP Deluxe. Not that it should make any difference in my opinion, but it does. Still cannot capture audio. <sigh>

Regards Flashfire

20. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

If anything, it will just be the same card with bonus software.

I'll be trying to pick the card up tomorrow, if Fry's Electronics, Comp USA, or Best Buy carry it.

Regards,

Craig