1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero Newbie

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by sullymate, Mar 18, 2007.

1. sullymate

sullymate Member

I have just purchased Nero 7 Ultra Edition Enhanced package from Best Buy.
    I have never attempted to copy a dvd - but desperately want to learn. I know nothing about doing it - have never tried - and am completely computer dingy.

However - my will to learn and copy is driving me to write this for request.

I have no idea where to start - had a friend that recommended 1click dvd copy and dvd43 to burn movies - but I have heard excellent things about Nero - and due to a move in the coming months overseas - I wanted something on disk - just in case.

Anywho - any advise on how to get started - what to download and how to burn - would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks - M.

2. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Hi sullymate
    Welcome to aD

Nero won't do copy protected movies so you'll need to remove the copy protection. You can accomplish this by ripping w/ DVDFab decrypter (free) to your hard drive then using Nero Recode to compress & fit on a single layer dvd. Or run AnyDVD in the background - not free but has a 21 day trial.

The 'big' 3 that will handle all the latest copy protection are AnyDVD w/ CloneDVD, DVDFab Decrypter & RipIt4Me.
    I wouldn't recommend DVD43 - hasn't been updated in about a year and has been known to cause conflicts.

Here's a great site for guides, software needed and FAQ's to get you started. You can use Recode in place of Shrink if you like.
    bbmayo's link.

Post back if you need more help or have anymore questions.

3. sullymate

sullymate Member

I found some information you had provided to another newbie with the same website recommendation - so I went there and downloaded the rip it 4 me - but not before I downloaded dvd shrink 3.2 & decrypter 3.5.4.0.
    Now that I have done these three downloads - do I still install / need Nero?

Also - I have the dvd to copy - what is the first step to successfully doing it?
    When I tell you I know "nothing" about this - I mean literally "nothing" - sad but true...

Like do I stick my movie into my computer - but then what is the next step?
    I feel like a dummy - but I have some movies that I "MUST" copy.

Any assistance is SSSOOO greatly appreciated.

Thanks - Mari

4. binkie7

I would still install Nero - has many different apps that you may want to use at some point once you get your feet wet burning :)

Plus Shrink uses Nero burn engine so you can autoburn w/ Shrink & Nero.

If you haven't installed RipIt4me yet - install Decrypter and Shrink then install RipIt4Me. There's a guide in the link on how to install.

Now once everything is installed pop the dvd in the drive and open RipIt4Me. There's another guide on the same site on how to use it.

You can use 1Click mode. Decrypter will rip the dvd, fixvts will clean it up and then RipIt4Me will open Shrink.
    Once Shrink is open uncheck the unneeded audios for the main movie (I just leave AC3 5-1) to help reduce the compression.

Click backup in Shrink and since you installed Nero pick your drive under 'select backup target'. Now click on the burn settings tab - reduce the speed to 8x or lower.

Click 'ok' and let Shrink do it's thing and burn.

Now once everything is done both decrypter and shrink will have left the video on your hard drive. Will take up approx. 12 gig of space.
    If everything is okay with the dvd you just burned go ahead and delete those 2 folders where the movie is to get the space back.

I hope this helps.

5. sullymate

sullymate Member

Okay - I have installed dvd shrink then decrypter then followed them with rip it and lastly Nero.

I don't have one click or 43 - forget I mentioned those -

working with what I have currently (dvd shrink 3.2; Decrypter 3.5, Ripit4me; and Nero) - do I have enough to burn?

Please advise. (sorry to be such an nin-kem-poop about this). :0)
    M.
    or do I need more?

6. binkie7

You should be good to go now to back up your first dvd.

Give it a go and keep us posted.

7. sullymate

sullymate Member

When I got to the shrink part of your earlier thread I clicked the "back up" as you indicated then it opened up and gave me the option to use Nero to under "select backup target" then I kept the other part of that section on file selection for c:barbie fairytopia - then I got an error message saying that the file was already there - so I chose my desktop and now I have these icons on my desktop now for Video_TS through VTS_07_1. I did not know what that was - then I got an error message saying the disk in the drive needed to be blank - put a new blank dvd in the writer and am sitting with my fingers crossed while it is writing to disk.

8. binkie7

Ok - if you leave the default folder to save to (instead of creating or picking a new one) for Decrypter and Shrink - they will overlap. Both programs create a folder on your hard drive with the dvd name.
    So when using RipIt4Me create another folder that Shrink can save the files to and pick that under 'select folder for temporary files'.

9. sullymate

sullymate Member

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you - many times over.

It seems to have worked - while I am running the "new dvd" in the other room for verification - I am thrilled!

Thank you so much! I am just a common military wife - that is usually too busy to research this - but SSOOO well worth it!

Thank you again for your advise and assistance - Mari

10. binkie7

You're very welcome Mari

Now you have 1 under your belt so your on your way :)

If you need anymore help just pop back.

Happy Burning!