1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero or dvd lab

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by kyle_101, Feb 25, 2005.

1. kyle_101

kyle_101 Guest

Does nero and Dvd lab do the same thng and can you use dvd lab to transcode to dvd

2. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

No, and no.
    Nero is a suite of programs, which part of Nero are you talking about?
    DVDLab is simply an authoring app. It does not encode video.

3. kyle_101

kyle_101 Guest

Well i am currently using the latest and full version of nero, but as i am sure you are aware it takes ages so i use winavi to transcode and then nero to burn, but i was just wondering if dvd lab could transcode and burn instead at better quality than winavi. What exactly is an authoring app??

4. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Nerovision Express is an authoring app. It takes video, and makes the menu and outputs a proper dvd structure to burn.
    Nero burning rom burns stuff.
    DVDLab authors compliant mpeg-2 video and audio streams to dvdr.
    "Latest and full version of Nero" still doesn't tell me much.
    What are your source files? What are you attempting to do with them? Are you editing in any way? Cutting and joining? What are you using to encode them? How are you getting them on dvdr?

5. kyle_101

kyle_101 Guest

Ok lets start from the top:
    I am using Nero 6 latest version, ultra edition.
    Along with:
    Nero media player
    Nero tool kit
    Nero photo show express
    Nero mix
    Nero vision express 3
    Basically every plug in that their is available.
    As for the source files, they are downloaded films in AVI and I want to put them onto dvd, I am currently doing that fine with no problems but I use winavi to encode them and was just wondering if there were any programs out their that produce a better quality than winavi.
    Some of the films that i download are in 2 parts and i need to join them and the only way that i know how to do that at the moment is using nero but i read that nero has one of the poorest quality encoders around. So basically i am just looking for the best quality encoder around and could you possibly reccomend a program to join the files together and at what point do they have to be joined and what format do they have to be joined in?
    Thanks

6. Tazgirl

Tazgirl Member

Right now I am hateing NERO6, maybe some one here can help me.

I installed Nero6 and got all the updates for it to make it nero6.6. When i go to run the program it says that it is running, but i cant find it anywhere. if it is running it sure as hell isn't on my computer. anyone have any ideas what to do. or a better piece of software that i can use

7. kyle_101

kyle_101 Guest

Try uninstall then reboot and re-install

8. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

9. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

I'm going to ignore the threadjacking...<grin>
    kyle_101, yes there are far better programs for joining avi's and encoding to proper mpeg-2 for dvd.
    Start with learning about virtualdub, and how to frameserve. It's particularily good at joining avi's, filtering out noise, improving color saturation, cropping the black boxes off, sharpening up edges, and a ton of other filters, including some you can get to remove the logo.
    If virtualdub can't join video, because of incompatible framerates, you CAN join them in tmpgenc during encoding.
    You should also learn how to rip audio, transcode it into AC3 for DVD spec, and how to remux during authoring to maintain sync.
    Then learn about tmpgenc (or Canopus Procoder, Mainconcept mpeg encoder, CCE, or even QuEnc), and how to encode properly. Most encoders are great at video, but crap out when attempting to do audio.
    Then learn about DVDLab or TMPGEnc DVD Author, to author the dvd structure properly, then burn the disk in Nero Burning Rom, using the DVD Video template.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2005
  10. kyle_101

kyle_101 Guest

wow that was a lot of information and now i can sit back and evaluate how truly far i am behind this game. Its gonna take forever to learn the ropes fully..Gonna go get a bottle of Jack daniels.......;~(

11. kyle_101

kyle_101 Guest

I also thought that seeing as a I am downloading dvd rips that are in good quality should i bother to go through all that, will it even enhance the quality more??

12. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

You cannot improve quality. At best, you can maintain it as close to the original as possible.
    There are things in virtualdub (and other programs) that can enhance the way it LOOKS to your eyes, so as to percieve that it's improved.
    True dvd rips, in avi format, are compressed video, so quality is lost. The best you can do is filter things in vdub until it looks as good as it's going to get (don't forget to crop off the black stuff they encoded onto it), then frameserve to an encoder.
    If you save an edited avi in virtualdub, you (usually) would select a codec. This decreases quality again. If you have the hard drive space (a few hundred gig), you can save an uncompressed avi (at about 35 gig per hour of video). Frameserving bypasses this extra save, and sends the filtered avi directly to the encoder, thus maintaining what quality there is.

13. kyle_101

kyle_101 Guest

ok thanks i will have a play about with virtual dub and see what happens