1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero problem or a servere lack of understanding....

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Ptangyang, Feb 25, 2005.

1. Ptangyang

Ptangyang Guest

Hi

I'm a newbie to all this, and stunned by how tricky it can be to just burn some video to play on a stand alone player.

Anyways, i've now d/l'd divx to dvd to convert my full range of video bits to something that i'm told a dvd player will understand.

I am now trying to burn VIDEO_TS files to DVDR. I'm hoping this is right.

I go through the instructions for nero only to not be allowed to hit the burn button when needed. Bit of further investigation seems a few people have had problems with nero burning dvds. So i get hold of alcohol 120%.

No idea where to start with this. Should I be "making an image" or "burning an image" or copying? and what files should i burn? The VTS file? IFO? BUP?...

can anyone offer any help please? does my nero issue sound like something you've come across before and can be rectified, or should i perservere with alcohol?...and if so, wnat should my next step be.

apologies if this is basic stuff, but i've trawled the guides etc to no avail.

many thanks

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Seeing how you have Nero and have already converted your files to DVD compliant go ahead and click on my link in the signature. There is a guide there that shows you how to burn your DVD with Nero.. Good Luck and welcome to AD :)

3. Ptangyang

Ptangyang Guest

well i'm stunned! i'm suuure i just tried what you suggested and it wouldn't let me burn. its writing as i type - so many thanks for your help, and your warm welcome.

4. Ptangyang

Ptangyang Guest

...it burned perfectly well, but won't play on my dvd player (alba 108). any ideas?

5. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

What is the brand of media you are using?

6. Ptangyang

Ptangyang Guest

maxell - could that cause issues?

7. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Could be try it in another player like a friends or something to see if it works in it? Does it play on your PC fine?

8. Ptangyang

Ptangyang Guest

yep, plays on the pc well. the dvd player shouldnt need a crack to play this type of file should it?

9. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Nope.. Some DVD players are just picky about the brand and type of media that it will read..

10. Ptangyang

Ptangyang Guest

cool, i'll try on some other brands. thanks

11. LivnDGirl

LivnDGirl Regular member

Here is one source that helps determine if your DVD player will play back ups.

http://www.toddvideo.com/dvd_compatible.html

That said, you can look up the model of your burner on the manufacturer's website and compatible media should be documented.

I have never had any problem with Verbatim Datalife, myself. Good media.

12. Ptangyang

Ptangyang Guest

great, i'll try some alternatives. thanks

13. Ptangyang

Ptangyang Guest

it's working perfectly with PC line DVDs. Many thanks, great forum this.

14. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Ptangyang, are you in the UK? If so, did you get the PC Line discs from PC World (cold shiver down my spine when I say those 2 words together!)?

15. Ptangyang

Ptangyang Guest

yeah, sure did but i was young, crazy and knew no better! that said, they work a treat. got my online purchasing up to speed now so won't be relying on them again.