1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero problems?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by magic1, Mar 12, 2004.

1. magic1

magic1 Member

Just a quickie, hope this is in the right thread!!
    I have just loaded Nero 6 , latest version and loaded all the extras with it oo.
    I suddenly has noticed that my Norton 2004 antivurus and firewall have stopped working? They are theree but the autoprotect will not work so I have had to unistall and load it back into my pc.
    Same with Norton firewall but it will not allow me to delete as it want sme to be a supervisor with access before I delet?
    Any help asap would be great.
    Kind regards,
    Magic1

2. Discmania

Discmania Active member

Loading any sofware should not disable an antivirus programme unless the disc contained a virus in the first place, but even then you would get some sort of message. The problem lies with Norton and not with Nero. I don't use Norton anymore as it completely took over my recycle bin and completely screwed it up to the point where deleted files were cloning themselves on my hard disc! You should contact Norton (Symantec) or else there are a couple of good free antivirus programmes out there that you can download and are just as good as Norton.

3. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

magic1,

Whenever you're on a PC with an OS of XP, you have to be the owner to delete and in many cases add a program. Ask your System Administrator to help you. The reason for the safety check is to keep unauthorized personal from altering the basic system too much.

You should be able to go into msconfig and uncheck everything dealing with ahead and Nero and that should allow Norton Anitvirus to operate, the same with your Firewall -

Welcome to the Neighborhood :D)

Pete

4. magic1

magic1 Member

THanks,
    It's now gone from bad to worse. I am hoping this will get through to you as I am expecting a severe crash any moment.why:
    On turning my PC on it suddenly has said:
    Primary Slave: None
    Secendary Master: Pioneer DVD rw 107d
    Secondary Slave: Artec Wrr
    Primary Master Hard Disk SMART staus bad
    WARNING: Immediate back up your date and replace your hard disk. A failure may be imminet!!!!!!!!
    What the HeLL does this mean? I will have to contact me PC guys on Monday, only had the PC 3 months XP. =This problem has onlky started since I had the Pioneer 017 and Nero 6 installed, is it just a coincidence? Please HELP ASAP if you know anyhting and how do I back up my emails? Cheeky I know but worth a shot before this crashes!!!!!!!

5. drchips

drchips Active member

Hiya,

Can you say "Bye-bye to your hard disk"??

The hard-drive is FAULTY, and ANY software on it is automatically suspected to be corrupted...

If you don't already have current backups, then you may just be backing up corrupted files.

Only 3 months old, you should get it replaced under warranty (but that will NOT cover your files).

Good Luck...

6. magic1

magic1 Member

Many thanks,
    I back up my date last week on a dvd. So it should be OK???
    How does a hard disk get to be a bad one?
    Many thanks

7. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

As a great man said, "Sh*t Happens".

As everyone knows that great, fine and out-standing American was Forest, Forest Gump !

"P"

8. Discmania

Discmania Active member

You could have a bad virus on the hard disc that has somehow gotton on your system. Also it could be the motherboard or even the processor at fault since all are interconnected but either way your supplier should sort it out. Don't worry about backing up your emails - they're saved on the server so no chance of loosing them.

9. drchips

drchips Active member

Hi All,
    This is a BIOS level error message which shows before the system boots the operating system.

Any virus causing this kind of error is, at this moment in time, non-existant in the wild, as it would have to have access to the flashing procedure of the BIOS
    - unless magic1 has been really unfortunate this will not happen as BIOS flash routines are OFF BY DEFAULT in almost every BIOS out there, they have to be enabled (BIOS setting OR jumper on motherboard OR combination of both).

The probability of a virus causing a S.M.A.R.T. failure is so low as to be almost non-existant.

A faulty processor is possible, but highly unlikely to cause this, bearing in mind the internal checks performed by the system during the varying stages of P.O.S.T. - possible, but of negligible probability.

Ther is a greater chance that a faulty motherboard could produce this fault.

By far the greatest probability (overwhelmingly so) is that the hard-disk itself is faulty, S.M.A.R.T. is run on the electronics of the hard drive itself (in the BIOS of the hard drive) and the results of the test procedure are passed to the motherboard BIOS for reporting.

magic1's AfterDawn emails (PMs) may be backed up on the server, but any personal emails as collected by Outlook Express etc are ONLY held locally (on his machine) UNLESS he has an IMAP account set up with his ISP (very rare)
    - mail is local, those are the DEFAULT POP settings, and as magic1 has indicated he MAY NOT have administrator access, it is almost certain that the POP defaults are still in effect.

magic1, your emails are at risk, back them up ASAP.

Hard drives, like everything else nowadays, are made in HUGE quantities, at the lowest possible price, so sometimes quality control is not as good as it could be, it is all the luck of the draw ....

Good Luck..
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Life is just more of the same:[/small]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2004
  10. magic1

magic1 Member

Hi Dr Chips,
    Yes, my PC guys who I bought it and had it made said exactly what you said. It's a Hitachi HD and it's a pretty good one at that but they can and do get faulty.
    It's going ion first thing Monday morning , they are going to back up my data, load the new drive and pop all the info back on.
    Hope this does the trick. Once again THANK YOU so much for your learned thoughts as this is a DVD site and I want the top people to know that I really do appreciate the info. I must say that the problems I had in the past with my old BTC 1004 was due to the firmware not working and burning my disks..but YOU guys told me this way in advance, brill!!!!!!
    Many thanks indeed.
    From a more happier chap.
    Magic1

11. astrid

astrid Member

hello all,

after reading through this thread, i'll like to add my queries.

i suffered the same problems as magic1: SMART failure, and strangely enough, the failure to run McAfee. I even tried uninstalling and re-installing my McAfee, Installation was successful but still i couldnt get it start at all. (most other application can work still)

When I click on my folders inside my drives, i sometimes get a drive not formatted error message. Scandisk failed to complete as well.

So this indeed is a hardware rather than software (virus?) problem? can anyone also explain the McAfee part? thanks in advance.