1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero Recode 2 past its target size to burn!

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by Norm9, Nov 19, 2007.

1. Norm9

Norm9 Guest

Hi there,

I have a small problem, Nero Recode2 is usually great at this, but i've not seen this for months, as there is only one audio to uncheck in the Main Movie (178MB) & the Extra's (42MB) as the filesize is 4666MB past its target size of 4.36MB!

I had this similar problem in Feb when binkie7 helped me & i checked that answer, but this totally different as there is no other audio to uncheck, but i think (but not too sure) the alternative is to let DVD SHRINK have a go at it?

Thanks for any replies.

2. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

3. Norm9

Norm9 Guest

Thanks for the link, but there was no mention of Nero Recode2 in that page given, as im very familiar with Recode as i was given this link months ago by binkie7, as i've come across a new problem.

I've gone with my instinct & put it through SHRINK - Result was 2.45m later the (default 4.5GB) size came back as 4504MB which was still too big & thought if i put it through DVD SHRINK again it will decrease it more? but lo & behold it came back the same size?

So im thinking as it was very late in the night/almost mornin-half asleep/awake (matchsticks on eyes) Shrink must have gone back & shrunk the original folder instead of the folder already compressed?
    So maybe i should go & change the file size to 4.3 (4464MB) & hope for the best?

4. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

5. Norm9

Norm9 Guest

Thanks IHoe for the tip on that, i was thinking i'd seen it before as it was bookmarked in my Afterdawn archive folder from Alkohol's blog! & must make it a favourite here as well.

But i found out the problem: DVD Shrink had done what i thought it had was, it shrunk the original (uncompresed) folder again by default instead of the compressed folder- omg!

So it only took about 45 instead of bout 3hrs! + the usual burn time.
    You learn something new every day, aint that the truth!

6. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

glad to have helped out...... welcome to Afterdawn!!! another happy member!

7. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

if its taking 3 hours plus you should make sure your drives/burner are in DMA mode and not in PIO mode

8. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

9. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

thanks Ivan i forgot he link lol

10. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

yw! happy burning and gobble gobble!

11. Norm9

Norm9 Guest

Thanks for the link, (& bookmarked) as i had the window minimized to show both side-by-side to check each drive off. I've included the details of each drive, just in case.

The Primary drive:
    Device 0
    Transfer Mode -> DMA if available
    Current Transfer Mode -> Ultra DMA Mode 5

Much the same with Device 1, except with
    Current Transfer Mode -> Not Applicable (does that mean anything?)

Secondary Drive:
    Device 0 OK
    Device 1 OK
    But im wondering Current Transfer Mode: -> PIO Mode, does that mean anything?

ZoSoIV
    Thats been the way for the past while, that if a filesize is over 7GB it takes about 2hrs to encode & under it takes about 45-60m.

12. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

yeah two hours is way to long it should take about 15 to 20 mins. max..yeah you're in PIO mode you need to get them back to DMA mode so uninstall the IDE controllers reboot and let windows reinstall tham and you should be fine or follow the guide posted to get back in DMA mode

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/260038