1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero Recode 2 - Unable to play recoded files...

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by bpullen, Jan 5, 2005.

1. bpullen

bpullen Member

Hi,

I've just begun attempting to burn some DVD-9's onto DVD-R discs but am having problems. I'm using Nero Recode 2. The DVD-9's are in .iso format.
    I have been mounting the images to a virtual drive and then analysing the TS_VIDEO file using Recode.
    All seems OK. The files are compressed to fit a DVD-5, recoding seems to go without hitch however the files are not playable upon completion.
    I have tried burning directly to disc and also as nero images to my harddrive. When mounting the new images, none of them will play. Sometimes I'm lucky if I get the first few frames of a scene/menu, but that's it my player locks up after that. Burning to disc is no better and I've tried various DVD players for playback.
    I've burned DVD-5 images using my DVD-R drive without problem in the past.
    As the recoded image files won't play once mounted to a virtual drive, I'm convinced this is something to do with the recoding process and not the burning, but I've tried 4 times now using two different DVD's to no avail. The log file generated by Nero recode suggests no problems have been encountered.
    Might give DVD shrink a whirl, just thought I'd post in case I'm missing something blindingly obvious.

Any help appreciated.

Bob.

2. EightPaws

EightPaws Member

Are your DVD-9's copy protected? If they are, you cannot use NERO to copy them. Try DVDShrink & DVDDeCrypter.

3. bpullen

bpullen Member

I wouldn't of thought so. They're from a news feed and in image format. Can they still be copy protected?

How can I tell if they are copy protected?

If they were would Nero Recode not refuse to shrink the DVD? (It does this, but the finished product will not play or stalls after the copyright notice)

I've heard of DVD shrink but assume it serves pretty much the same purpose as Nero Recode??

What does DVD DeCrpyter do?

4. EightPaws

EightPaws Member

DVD Shrink will read your image and shrink it to DVD-5 size. DVD Decrypter can write the image to DVD. Both of these progs can remove copy protection. Have you tried writing the image with something other than Nero? You could try DVD Decrypter to write the image and see if it is Nero that is causing the problem.

5. bpullen

bpullen Member

How do you get these programs to remove copy protection?

Like I've said I don't think it's a burning issue because the shrunk images do not play when mounted to a virtual drive.

Incidentally I have just tried shrinking using DVD Shrink and the finished result played when mounted. I'm now gonna try burning to disc using Nero and see what happens.

6. EightPaws

EightPaws Member

The default on these programs is to remove copy protection and region protection. Keep us posted on your progress.

7. bpullen

bpullen Member

Not had the chance to burn the image yet. When shrinking with DVD shrink though it said there was no encryption. Does this mean that it isn't copy protected?

Is there actually any easy way to tell if a disc/image is?

8. bpullen

bpullen Member

Getting a little annoyed with this now. Just tried burning one of my shrunk images (the ones that play when mounted to a virtual drive) using Nero, and once again the finalised disc fails to play in any DVD player!!

Just downloaded DVD Decrypter and will try that. Will have got through a cakebox of DVDs by the time I get this thing working!!

9. Shark64

Shark64 Member

10. bpullen

bpullen Member

Using the latest copy I'm afraid! Recoding with DVD shrink allows me to play the reduced files when mounted to a virtual drive.
    When burning with either DVD Decrypter or Nero I end up screwed.
    Strangely enough, these rips (or some of them) work on a really lame DVD player. On decent DVD players (including the one on my PC), they f**k up after the copyright notice. Any ideas? Is this my DVD R thats playing up? It's a fairly reliable LG modle so I'd hope not!?