1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero Recode Troubles

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Thumper33, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Thumper33

Thumper33 Member

Ok, I just got my new computer up and running with a Sony Dual Layer DVD Burner. Trouble is, Dual Layer media is insanely expensive. I'm trying to back up my movies, many are single layer, so Nero Recode works great, rips right from the original in the ROM drive to the blank in the burner.
    Here's the trouble, I have a dual layer disc I am trying to back up on a single layer. Using Nero RECODE I stripped off the extra features and the trailers and garbage, leaving just the menus and the movie. Nero stats the file size is now about 4204 MBs.......but after only a minute of burning it stats burning failed. Then when I go back, all of a sudden it shows the file size at 4460 MBs!!!! I played around with the settings, dropping the file size even lower, to around 4000 thinking the estimate was just off and it did it again. I'm now out 2 blanks. I went out and bought some R/Ws so at least I wouldn't be ruining discs in my trials, got it to burn perfectly onto a R/W, then went back, set it up the same and loaded a +R blank, and it ruined it again.

I'm stumped. It fails to burn on 2 different brands of +R, including Sony brand! The thing that gets me is ALWAYS, the file size shoots back up to the same size, 4460. I stripped the video quality all the way down to minimums, showing an estimated file size of 3400 MBs and it still jumped back to exactly 4460 MBs after runing a disc.

Any ideas? Keeping the original menus is important to me which is why I like Nero Recode......and I don't want to spend $8 for a single dual layer blank just to back up my movies.

2. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

Is this a general problem -- i.e. it happens with any dual layer movie -- or is a specific problem, i.e. a particular movie?

As for the file size always shooting back up, I'm a newbie at this myself, but I'll bet that is just the software adjusting the bit rate to get the maximum video quality.

But did you say you got a successful burn to an R/W, but not to a +R? That's odd.

I cannot help with anything Recode-specific, as I do not use that software. But I do have a Sony Dual Layer DVD recorder, and have copied dual layer dvd's to +R with the "shrink" capabilities of Roxio Easy DVD Copy.

3. Thumper33

Thumper33 Member

Well, more oddities......

Last night I was backing up Anchorman.......Nero again refused to burn it, and handed me a coaster.......so I decided I would give ShrinkDVD a try, a buddy here at work recomended it.

It burned perfectly, with no problems, although slower than Nero, as it wrote to my HD then to the disc.

Anyway, in this case, I had to make a second copy for a friend of mine. He has the movie, but not a burner so I told him I would help him backup discs now. I clicked for ShrinkDVD to burn the same project again......and it failed.

I ended up having to make HIS copy off of my copy, not the original. Now that's weird.

I can't imagine what the problem is, as it seems to affect different programs........

4. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

If your copy on the RW disc came out OK and plays right, just use Nero's disc copy program to put it on the R disc. Don't run it through Recode again.

Jerry

Just wondering what you use for the decrypter behind Recode?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2005
  5. Thumper33

Thumper33 Member

I have AnyDVD as always on.

Right now, here's what I have on my computer now because of these problems...=)

Full Version AnyDVD
    Full Version Nero 6.6.0 I think
    ShrinkDVD 3.2
    CloneDVD
    DVD Decrypter

My main thing is, I want to keep the original menus.......I'm sure I could get around some of these problems by just ripping the movie only, but I want the menus.....even if I end up cutting off some special features or language tracks for better video quality, I still want the menus intact.

6. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

I don't know why you are using Recode when you have Clonedvd and Anydvd. They are one of the best combinations out there for dvd backups. That is my first choice for any backup I make and has been for over a year. Clone lets you edit the dvd movie like in Shrink and Recode but keeps the menu working completely. Very easy to use and final burn is excellent.

Jerry
    I assume thats the Clonedvd from Elby.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2005
  7. Thumper33

Thumper33 Member

I went with Nero first because a friend of mine who has been burning for a year or so recomended it.

Recode keeps the menus intact as well, I guess I will give Clone a try this weekend....see what I think.

8. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Recode is almost the same program as DVDShrink written by the same person only Recode can't decrypt by itself. While both are good, and Shrink is free, I still feel that Clonedvd2 is a much better program to use for backups. But thats just my opinion.

Jerry

9. DVDeviant

DVDeviant Member

I tried Recode and the quality of the output video was horrible...even compared to standard analysis of the same DVD w/ Shrink. I couldnt believe it.

Anyways, like another said, why use Recode when you have AnyDVD and CloneDVD2? CloneDVD works great!