1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero Recode2 - Error reading xxxxx vob

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by zhelpz, Nov 14, 2005.

1. zhelpz

zhelpz Guest

I am trying to figure out if this is a dirty disk issue ...

I was trying to back up my "fear dot com" dvd.

I was using the regular ammo - AnyDvd in background with nero recode2.

But when I tried to pull up the file in recode2 - it took longer than usual - then gave an error that said something like "error reading ... vob/vts" - I cant remember exactly what it said

Please forgive me for not being specific - after trying two times I came on the site to search previous threads trying to find something similar. I did not find anything, went back, tried again, and then it went through when I pulled it up, and started encoding. **GO FIGURE**

I was trying to do the process for the third time so I could post the exact error message. But since it went through, i dont recall the exact message.

So at this point, if anyone is familiar with what happened, I would like to still get some feedback. Wondering if it was an decoding issue (which this movie is not hardly a new one) or if it is just some type of reading error when the disk is not as clean as you think, or due to scratches or something else?

------
    [bold]This is an UPDATE to what I previously wrote:

Here is the EXACT message

"Nero recode2 encountered an error and cannot continue"
    failed to read from the file VTS_02_1.vob[/bold]
    -------
    Now does anyone know why this has occured?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2005
  2. JaguarGod

JaguarGod Active member

Possibly this one was badly authored or your disc is not good. I do not think this movie has any special protection.

Do you get this before the Quick analysis??

Try ripping first with DVD Decrypter in File Mode and then import it into Nero Recode or DVD Shrink. To rip turn off AnyDVD. Right click on the fox and uncheck "enable AnyDVD". Then launch DVD Decrypter in FIle mode and press the Decrypt button.

If Decrytper fails and this is a non-Sony movie, then odds are you have a dirty, badly pressed, or badly authored disc.

3. JaguarGod

JaguarGod Active member

Sorry, missed your edit. This may be a Sony movie then. Right click on the Fox icon and select "Show Information". Copy what it says about the disc and post it here.

Also make sure you have the most curent AnyDVD. Right click on the fox and select "Settings". Then go to about. The most current version is 5.5.2.1.

The error in VTS_02_1.VOB probably means that the VOB mavigation is screwed up. You can also try to run it through IFOEdit. Go to this thread and follow the "Rebuilding the main Movie":

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/255980

It is about 1/3 of the way down and has a picture of you error, but from DVD Shrink. After you do the "strip streams" function, load VIDEO_TS.IFO and press "Get VTS Sectors". Then take it into Recode again.

For this to work, your DVD has to be on the hard drive, so rip it first, by dragging and dropping the VIDEO_TS folder on your HD.

4. zhelpz

zhelpz Guest

JaguarGod

This is what AnyDvdShow Info says:

Summary for drive E: (AnyDVD 5.5.1.1)
    Drive (Hardware) Region: 1

Media is a Data DVD.
    Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 2 (opposite)

Video DVD (or CD) label: FEAR_DOT_COM
    Media is CSS protected!
    Video Standard: NTSC
    Media is locked to region(s): 1!

RCE protection not found.
    DVD structure appears to be correct.
    Structural copy protection not found.
    Found & removed Autorun from Video DVD!
    Bad sector protection not found.
    Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 1!

-----------------------------------------------

Also, looks like I need to upgrade - They must have had another upgrade since last month ... <----- [bold]I have my Automatically Check for updates box marked, on the last update it updated automatically -its not updating this time. So I went to slysoft site and it showed the version I have as the latest ... Going to afterdawn software ...[/bold]

5. zhelpz

zhelpz Guest

Laffin!

Wait a minute - BOTH OF US need to upgrade - I just went to the afterdawn software site and it now says AnyDvD 5.5.3.1 - - slysoft is not playing around!!! Let me do this real quick
    ------------------------

Ok,

So I have updated it to 5.5.3.1 - still the same problem - I think you were right when you said it could be a bad press. And especially sine that one time it went through - I dont know enough about these types of errors to say one way or another. Does Sony make WB films? It has the "warner Brothers" label on it.

6. JaguarGod

JaguarGod Active member

Oh no, Warner Brothers is not owned by Sony. I didn't know Fear Dot Com was a WB film. I hope Sony never buys WB. Most the Sony movies released now are complete crap. So far I think Sony has Columbia, Dreamworks and MGM. There are probably a few more, but I can't think of any more.

You said it went through once, so did you happen to copy it that one time? If not, then try DVD Decrypter. If there is no Structure protection, it will definately handle it.

If Decrypter fails, then you should take the movie back and say it doesn't work, or look really closely to see if it is smudged or dirty.

As for the AnyDVD update, the version I had was a beta version. Probably a few bugs were fixed for a couple of newer movies in the new release. Thanks for the info though, I didn't know about the newer one.

7. zhelpz

zhelpz Guest

Jaguar,

Yes, its the weirdest thing - I actually got lucky - I was going through the steps trying to help somebody and forgot it was in there - then it went on through the analyzing stage *shrug shoulders*.

I saved that file to HD and finished putting it to a +R Fuji - so far it seems to be playing fine. However, I still might take it back anyway and have them exchange my original - you never know. We pay the money to get something - it should work like its supposed to.

I am glad to know WB is not owned by Sony!!! *L*

Well even though it went through - this thread still may end up helping someone else in a similar situation - I did look at the link you provided - at first site it seems a little complicated, but you explained it in a way that it can be followed.

[bold]I appreciate your help & time, and if I run into this type of problem again I will have something to use for assistance[/bold]