1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

nero recode2 problems after latest update .

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by dlc2000, Jan 12, 2005.

1. dbminter

dbminter Regular member

I have not tested this on Nero DriveImage yet. Only on the latest build of Alcohol. I wasn't certain what file types NDI handles, so had not tested it because the images are all in MDS/MDF format. Alcohol hasn't been updated in about a year, so, for a year, images had worked fine before, and Recode installed with NVE 3.0.1.4 does not have the issue. The two versions before 3.1.0.0 had fixed the problem for Recode An Entire DVD and Recode Main Movie, which hadn't worked starting with 3.0.1.14, and Remake A DVD still has the problem in the NVE revision just before 3.1.0.0.

2. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

Hi Dbminter,

Hmm, I won't be able to test that till I return to the US. I only have a few more days here in Germany, and I need to use that time for other issues.

I'll get back to this issue next week then.

Regards,

Craig
    Nero Inc
    USA

3. dbminter

dbminter Regular member

Went over a log from a Burn process failed during the compile for an image written to HD that was 944 MB, in the target range of when it will fail. However, only two log lines bear out any indication of failure.

This one, near the beginning:
    Project type: Copy entire DVD
    Target size: Custom (2283008)

12:38:45 File burn_dvdfiles.cpp, Line 407
    Compile DVD: Cancel

Burn settings:
    Target: Image Recorder
    Number of copies: 1
    Write speed: 0 KB/s
    Temp folder: D:\ (5508845568 bytes free)
    Direct burning: true
    Target media: DVD+R/RW, DVD-R/RW, DVD-RAM, DVD-R DL, DVD+R DL
    Shutdown when finished: false
    Advanced Analysis: false
    Compress Adaptive: false

And this bit near the end:
    12:45:56 File NeroRecorder.cpp, Line 641
    Burn failed (3)

12:45:57 File burn_dvdfiles.cpp, Line 301
    Compile DVD: exit

What I think I'll do is get a complete log like the one above, then downgrade NBR 6.6.0.8 to 6.6.0.6 and get a log from a burn that completes. That way, the two logs of the same disc, one that burns and one that doesn't, can be compared. I'll probably also try to do the same for a single layer image that says it is burning 2nd layer.

4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi chancee, welcome to aD,

If you have read this thread you'd see we have a Nero tech here - if there was a solution I believe we'd have it by now. It takes some time to trial and error the solution. As Craig said, he thought it was something with DVDD and AnyDVD But there seems to be another program OR perhaps part of a program maybe even a piece of the OS that is a catalyst that blocks Recode from working. I only have problems picking up VIDEO_TS folders up from my HD. I have no problem working with a DVD disc as I'm doing now.

Be patient, I'm confident the answer will come.

Pete

5. dbminter

dbminter Regular member

BTW, if anyone wants to try it, someone told me they fixed their Recode crashing problem by installing
    NVE 2.1.2.21 by itself from the Nero FTP site. He said he uninstalled "NVE 3114" so he most likely meant 3.0.1.14, and installed the NVE 21221 file. This will be an older version, about a year, of NVE, so Recode will be older, too. But, it's something to try if you're game. :) Running this NVE21221.exe and using it "upgrade" your NVE down. I would, though, recommend uninstalling NVE first all together.

6. jackmills

jackmills Member

I have Nero Recode 2.2.6.11 installed that was packaged with NVE-3.1.0.0.

I too was having the same problem with Nero Recode crashing upon selecting any option from the menu. So a little research later (process explorer+dr watson logs), I renamed the file in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\DSFilter\NeNDGui.dll to NeNDGui.bak and Recode started fine without crashing. I was able to succesfully use the first two options (Recode 1.Entire Movie to DVD & 2.Main Movie to DVD) but the third one: "Remake a DVD" poses a problem. When I select the VIDEO_TS folder from "Import Titles" I see no files, just blank. Yet, I am pretty sure my DVD (and several other saved on my Hard disks) are copy-free. Why is it so? I do not use AnyDVD/DVD Decryptor or any such program.

Additionally, renaming NeNDGui.bak back to NeNDGui.dll immediately after recode is launched, does not crash it anymore.

But please do help me with the blank folder issue. Or am I doing something wrong?

Cheers & Thanx!

7. dbminter

dbminter Regular member

jackmills

The no Titles in Remake A DVD is being investigated by someone from Nero right now. Well, not exactly right now :) but he's aware of it and has been working on it. It's been a problem with Recode Main Movie and Recode Entire DVD, too, for a few revisions. Starting with the last two, only Remake seemed to still have it. It started in NVE 3.0.1.14.

In the meantime, if you saved older NVE installs, 3.0.1.4 will have a working Remake option. Or, you can install DVD Shrink and use it to Remake A DVD along side of Recode until the issue is resolved. Also, some other possible fixes have been listed. The most promising one that seems to have worked in most documented, albeit not many documented, cases here is to enter a Nero Digital key along the Nero key you already entered. The reports are all the options that had not detected Titles before will after entering that key.

The renaming the DLL is a new one. Thanks for that info! It could help narrow down that one particular DLL or other parts that use it to track down the problem. It makes sense, though, on the main menu items crashing. If there's an error regarding that DLL, and its name has GUI in it, then the main menu, the GUI (Graphical User Interface) having a problem like crashing on any commands is not too far an assumption. Occam's Razor. ;)

I've noticed one particular issue with 6.6.0.8 and Recode, so, just on the off chance, I'm going to try your suggestion and see if that works for it. (Probably not as it seems more likely related to the DVD-R DL engine since it was introduced in 6.6.0.8 and installing back to 6.6.0.6 removes it.) Tried it out and, yeah, the Burning 2nd Layer still appears for DVD-5 images.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2005
  8. jackmills

jackmills Member

Thanks for the suggestions dbminter! Yes, I installed Nero Digital Key as you said and indeed, Nero Recode works fine. There are, infact, now two more options for Nero Digital on the main menu (totaling 5), so I guess it must have been an issue with Recode unable to somehow detect the version type (ultra, digital etc.) & thus showing only three options initially and crashing thereupon (bug in NeNDGui.dll which is the Gui file perhaps?)

Aditionally, the blank Video_TS folder issue I wrote to you about when using the 'Remake DVD' feature has also disappeared. It works fine now and shows all the contents.

Also, renaming the NeNDGui.dll file is unnecessary now as recode does not crash anymore. But previously, I must admit, it did seem to work.

Many thanks for your help!
    Cheers!

Last edited: Mar 18, 2005
  9. dbminter

dbminter Regular member

This is all just speculation, so, it's nowhere near a diagnosis of the issue. :)

I doubt the .DLL is the direct cause. Given how the issues go away apparently when a Nero Digital key is entered, it may be a manifestation of something scubapete or ccampbell, I forget who, said had been a problem is a few previous revisions regarding Nero's checks of keys. So, it may not be the .DLL; the DLL may be doing what it's told to do with incorrect data and if not prepared to handle it could crash. So, it could be a problem with the key check or blacklist engine.

Again, all just speculation on my part. So, take it as theoretical chatter only. :>

10. dbminter

dbminter Regular member

I came across this error message that could possibly be helpful regarding the Burning 2nd Layer issue.

I regressed NBR back to 6.6.0.6, but, Recode still had the Burning 2nd Layer in it. So, 6.6.0.8 may leave something behind. But, more importantly, I mounted Recode's image to a virtual drive and tried to get Recode to read it in. Remember from before when if Recode would try to read in discs, images or physical discs, it created with Burning 2nd Layer in its display for DVD-5 discs, it would say it ran out memory, and said there were about 50,000 minutes remaining in the analyze? After regressing back to 6.6.0.6, Recode returns a different error message trying to read its discs:

"An internal error occurred. A VOBU address is out of bounds. This may be caused by an invalid DVD navigation structure."

Maybe that will help.

11. dbminter

dbminter Regular member

BTW, I've not seen anyone else list this error here. If anyone would try it for themselves and see if they get it, too, i.e. if it's just me, there's no real need to hurry with this issue, please do it and report back your results, success or failure. Thanks.

With Nero Burning Rom 6.6.0.8, 6.6.0.8a, or later, if a version is out by the time you read this, installed and any version of Nero Vision Express from 3.0.1.4 or later, preferably the latest, please use Recode to create a disc image to your hard drive from a movie. A mounted disc image, or a physical disc, either DVD-5 or DVD-9, any will do. In Recode An Entire DVD mode, Compress or Delete Titles, whatever you want to do/need to, to make the target size of the disc image 1,000 GB or greater. For this test, please make it at least 1,000 and nothing less. The closer to 1,000 the better because it will be quicker. There is no need to check High Quality recording or two pass analyzing. Create the image to hard drive and when it succeeds (It should.) is there is a display in the results that reads Burning 2nd Layer?

Please post your results. After 3 or 4 such posts, there won't be a need to do it anymore. No need to fill up this thread with a lot of the same results.

Thanks!

12. dbminter

dbminter Regular member

I had been laying the blame on NBR 6.6.0.8 when it is actually both/either NBR 6.6.0.8.x and/or NVE 3.1.0.0. Meaning, if you have NBR 6.6.0.8.x installed and any version of NVE installed, or if you have NVE 3.1.0.0 installed and any version of NBR installed, you'll still get the Burning 2nd Layer in Recode's log. I checked the ChangeLog for NVE 3.1.0.0, and, sure enough, it has DVD-R DL supported, too. So, the NBR 6.6.0.8 DVD-R DL engine must also be in NVE 3.1.0.0. Thus, I believe it is this DVD-R DL engine since both NBR and NVE have only had 1 major addition in common, the ability to burn to DVD-R DL discs.

So, for those wanting to test as I suggested above, you can follow the steps I listed, or you can also just install NVE 3.1.0.0 if you have an older NBR installed, too, to test.

13. drlight

drlight Member

I get message burning layer 2 also and the disks never work, do you have the same problem using DVD +R media?
    I am following this and waiting for solutions because my saved nero cover designs don't open when I reverted back to nero 2.1.1.16 or something.

Al
    NEC2500A flashed with read lock disabled.

14. dbminter

dbminter Regular member

It's a problem with the images. No matter if you use DVD+R or not. So, even rewritables are affected. But, if you mount the images as virtual drives and try to read them back into Recode, you'll get an out of memory error. Or you should. :) You'll get the same result from burned discs, too. So, I wouldn't bother using any more write once discs. I regressed NVE back to 3.0.1.24 and NBR back to 6.6.0.8 because of the DVD-R DL engine. If either app is installed, Recode will take in its plugin/DLL since it is installed by both apps.

15. drlight

drlight Member

If i remeber I got the Burning layer 2 message when burning certain films?

Do you find this,
    is it somthing in the origonal film structure?

16. LABOY

LABOY Regular member

Jackmills: Thanks to you--I just encoded my first movie with NeroRecode. The trick was when you stated, "I renamed the file in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\DSFilter\NeNDGui.dll to NeNDGui.bak and Recode started fine without crashing." This worked like a chrarm for me!!! While I still prefer to use DVD Shrink for encoding it is good to know that there is an alternative.
    Again, kudos, for your tip. That's what makes this forum so vaulable to me..

17. dbminter

dbminter Regular member

drlight;

Go back over some of the other posts in this thread. It lists my results where it seems to be based on the size of the target image/disc you're writing to. When it's below a certain rate about 920 MB, you don't get a Burning 2nd Layer message. Then there's a range between that and about 954 MB where Recode will fail in the Compiling DVD line. And, anything 954 MB or greater will generate the Burning 2nd Layer. Don't ask me why ;) it just seems to be an arbitrary error.

If NVE 3.1.0.0 or NBR 6.6.0.8 or 8a are installed, either one, Recode will behave this way, because, I believe, both those versions of NVE and NBR have had the DVD-R DL engine added to them. And, given the line says Burning 2nd Layer, Occam's Razor would say it's not too far a leap in assumptions to think the DVD-R DL feature might be the cause. :>

18. rudenoise

rudenoise Member

I had tried everything to aleviate the situation of recode 2 from crashing; even to reinstalling my OS. I read a post (thank you whomever you are) about renaming the file "NeNDGui.dll" to "NeNDGui.bak"...and voila! It worked! I'm able to recode and get a good burn! I must of wasted over 40 hours trying to correct this buggy software... GOOD GRIEF NERO! We get the privledge to PAY FOR THIS.

19. drlight

drlight Member

I gues i was put off trying it after wasting so many disks, but I take the plunge and do what you suggested and it works well.
    I guess it may effect the nero digital option in recode though?

Al

Last edited: Mar 27, 2005
  20. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

NICE WORK GUYs

Good enough for a "stickie" for a solution for Recode crashes ~

Good enough for an "Atta Boy" ~