1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

nero recode2 problems after latest update .

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by dlc2000, Jan 12, 2005.

1. dbminter

dbminter Regular member

Try to download the current link. Sometimes, they don't change the date or version number on the site. Sometimes, you need to check the contents of the FTP site, too.

2. dbminter

dbminter Regular member

I haven't run extensive tests yet, but, the DVD-R DL issue (Just my name for it. May not even be caused by it.) may be partially resolved with the install of NBR 6.6.0.12. I created images both in the failure range (945 MB) and one in the Burning 2nd Layer that does not fail range (1069 MB). I decrypted both the mounted images and the discs these images were burned to. The packet header not found errors were not present when decrypting the mounted 1069 MB image nor were they present on the DVD-RW this image was burned to. While the Burning 2nd Layer message does still appear in the Recode log, it does not fail to complete analysis, as it used to in the 945 MB range and the 1069 MB image decrypted fine.

HOWEVER, there are still errors in the 945 MB image where the Compile of a DVD used to just fail all together. While it does not fail to Compile the DVD like it used to do, it DOES have, yes, you guessed :) the packet header not found errors on decrypt of the mounted image file as well as the DVD-RW burned from the image. BUT, here's the weird thing. The old discs like this, with the packet header not found errors caused Recode to run out memory attempting to read the contents it created back in. It no longer does that, either from the mounted image or from the burned disc. There's no immediate way to tell about these discs without.

So, as long as your DVD image isn't in the failure range in the range of image file sizes I posted earlier in this thread, it should, at least, not fail to Compile anymore. BUT, whether these discs acutally work without problems, I still need to test.

So, drlight, try installing Nero Burning ROM 6.6.0.12 and see if Recode creates discs that will play now. My above tests were with Nero Vision Express 3.1.0.0 installed. I need to perform actual play tests now, of course, but, getting past half the previous errors when testing any new revision may be a good sign. :) Let us know what results you get.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2005
  3. dbminter

dbminter Regular member

craig/scuba;

There appears to still be a slight problem from before involving the packet header not found errors in Recode image files with NBR 6.6.0.12 installed. It is very small and I only happened to notice a symptom by accident. Something caught the corner of my eye and I previewed the video with the slider in Recode to be sure.

It involves making Images of a specific size, 933 MB to 957 MB. (Technically, some part of 932 MB is part of this range, because you can move the slider a few ticks between each MB.) My test Image was 945 MB. What had been happening with 6.6.0.8 (or NVE 3.1.0.0 and any version of NBR) was if the Image target file size was within the given MB range, the Compiling DVD part would fail. Just fail in that step. It does not fail anymore, but, the output has a minor error. When decrypting with the latest version of DVD Decrypter, discs will have packet header not found errors. It manifests itself in this form: when Recode had read in discs before that it had created with packet header errors, Recode simply failed at the opening analysis, due to an out of memory error. Recode will read in these discs now, but, there will be one very small area of corrupted video in the final Title. The area, by that I mean one press of the arrow keys in the preview pane in Recode will be, on my screen, solid green in a significant portion of the video. On playback, the player will pause at these segments and then resume playing, "jumping" over the video. Where the error occurs depends on what the target size of the Image is, but, it will always be in the final Title, the Title X where X is the largest number in the Titles sequences imported in.

The packet header not found errors on decrypting with DVD Decrypter had been a problem before with any disc image greater than 957 MB, but, that seems to have been fixed with NBR 6.6.0.12 installed. But, they seem to have been shifted to the 933 to 957 MB range, as opposed to failing to complete the Compiling DVD stage now.
    The maximum size is now somewhere between 986 and 987. (986.0 will fail, but not 987.0. It's the ticks inbetween the two values where the maximum size lies. Starting at 986.0, only 1 packet header error is generated on decrypt.) The 933 value remains the same, though.
    Before, 960 MB was a range where Compiling did not fail, but, the resulting image still had packet header not found errors. 1065 MB did not have packet header errors.

The files written to folder as opposed to an image file do not have errors in them. Only when Recode writes the Image to HD. I should try uninstalling NVE 3.1.0.0 because it also had had similar problems and no new version was available to replace it.

Okay, went back to an older NVE, and still had the same problems. So, in the meantime, I am still recommending writing files to a folder only with Recode for now. That should solve the problem I and drlight (Anyone else?) have reported.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2005
  4. KERZ

KERZ Member

............ there was too much to read on this problem with RECODE2 so I hope I'm not duplacting a fix here..............

I'm running nero 6.6.0.8 (updated from 6.6I had a problem with RECODE2 crashing as so as it started up. the fix for this is simple. change the NeNDGui.dll to xNeNDGui.dll ( C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\DSFilter), restart the 'putter and presto.

5. Spurgeon

Spurgeon Member

This thread gets a bit confusing, I've re-read it several times as there seem to be several issues, some possibly related, others not. The crash on start issue has been addressed as a serial number issue, it would be useful I think for nero if you sent Craig (previous threads your serial for replacement) then the nero digital gui dll doesn't need renaming.

I'm no expert at DVD issues and so 'newbie' is my right title, but in problem solving / fault isolation I have a lot of years behind me.

Back to my previous post I did check all nero ftp servers for the phantom 3.1.0.0c version of recode refered to in changelogs. I have updated the nerofiles in nerovision folder with the dll's from the latest update of nero, still does not resolve the visibility of files in recode if source not coming from the dvd writer. I hope this issue will be addressed sooner rather than later a it seems to affect quite a bunch of functionality; recode and remake options but not nero digital in recode2; it also seems the nuisance factor is quite high to several people not being able to read from more than one source.

Dbminter - It seems your issues IMHO may be coming from your image files (going back through all posts), it is difficult to duplicate the error conditions, which you define and I'm not using Alcohol and am not familiar with it, but briefly looked at its' installation, I doubt compatability when installed with nero, but can I suggest trying isobuster (the unregistered version will do) to create a new image from your mounted image; rename the image extension from tao to iso and mouting that in nero imagedrive to see if that resolves the issue. That is if your source images are previously saved from a prior version of a different program or copied dvd from another program etc. I think you will hate me suggesting this as I am basically saying does this happen with Alcohol completely uninstalled?

That is if you are still trying to resolve this issue?

6. dbminter

dbminter Regular member

In my case, it is not image files. It also happens on real, non protected discs. Plus, this issue only occurs with any NBR beyond 6.6.0.6 and only with NVE 3.1.0.0. Regress to any previous versions and it goes away. Hence why I think it's the DVD-R DL thing. It's the only common addition in both apps, the Burning 2nd Layer appears in the output even on single layer discs, which would be logical to infer it might be a problem because DVD-R DL would expressly have 2 layers in it, even if burning only 1 layer, due to how DL burning works. Lastly, DVD Shrink, which is the basic template for Recode back in its early days, does not have any problems creating Image or disk files from the same source doing the same edits.

I, too, know a thing or two about program testing:
    1.) BS degree in comp sci :)
    2.) beta tester for a popular Afterdawn download. ;)
    Plus, I believe drlight has the same problem as I've described. Granted, I did go into further detail. :)

Your problem about Recode nothing finding any titles should be the one resolved. You can also resolve it by renaming the GUI DLL mentioned before. If your problem is trying to read from two different source
    drives and you're not getting any Titles, I know this is still a bug in Recode beyond the one installed with NVE 3.0.1.4. It's in the NVE 3.1.0.0, too; amazingly enough, I just now finished testing that one when I came here. LOL I forget, though, if it's for physical source drives or only just for virtual drives, but, on one or both, there is an issue where Recode cannot read in from multiple sources simultaneously. You will get very weird Start, Stop, and total time values because Recode apparently gets "confused" because there weren't supposed to be 2 separate genetic patterns. (Free virtual cookie, not a web one, to anyone who names the quote! :> ) Recode apparently forgets where it is in the stream from two separate of these sources.

As for testing if it's Alcohol, I've even gone so far as to restore a virgin, factory install partition for this PC and only installing the very basics and other alternative apps, too. Daemon Tools performed likewise. Although, I think this reminds me I never tested Nero's Image thing with it. Rarely used it.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2005
  7. Spurgeon

Spurgeon Member

Thanks dbminter and sorry if it sounded like doubting what you were doing, that clarifies the issues and out of personal curiosity I will endeavor to reproduce them as at times during extensive re-builds I believe I have not had the burning second layer in dialogue on occasions (and hence a possible fix), but when precisely I cannot recall (poor record keeping!). I think it was when messing with ASPI under win98 and/or deleting wnaspi32.dll(both copies) from nero install to force use of windows ASPI, perhaps it was under win2000/XP to force SPTI; I could have been using an earlier version of wnaspi32.dll or nero's patch. I went through the lot to try and resolve the inability to read source files issue, which remains unresolved except by disk swapping as outlined in my earlier post.

Clearly Craig has said all issues will be hopefully resolved in next release of recode, so I guess it may be redundant work, but it keeps the mind going ;<)

8. michi90

michi90 Member

It's not a good idea to rename 'NeNDGui.dll', cause this is a big file
    or to install an older version of NVE and overwrite the Nero Recode folder with the one from 3.1.0.0 !

HERE IS MY SOLUTION (quite simple, I hope it works for all the others):

I solved the problem, that recode 2.2.6.11 could not access DVD titles.
    I deleted the 'dvddisc.dll' inside the nero recode program folder.
    It seems that the programmers forgot to delete it, because it has the
    same internal name as 'ndvddisc.dll' (DVDdisc.dll !!!).
    'dvddisc.dll' and 'ndvddisc.dll' have 100 percent identic properties.
    I'm not a programmer - I'm just a user.
    Sorry, but how stupid are the programmers ....... ?
    Money for nothing !

9. TDY

TDY Member

I'm going to try again for the 5th time this newer version of Nero 6.6.0.12 and the NVE 3.1.0.0 and hopefully it will work as its SUPPOSE TO DO.Ill try the deleteing of the dvddisc.dll file also if I have to.If it don't work then I'll roll it back to what dose work for me,again.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2005
  10. TDY

TDY Member

HALLELUJAH ! It works now,but I had to delete the "ndvddisc.dll" file not the "dvddisc.dll" file in the Recode directory and it works even the the "Bad Perameter" problem in Nero burnning Rom when creating a disc.There is a God !

11. michi90

michi90 Member

@ TDY

What is your operating system ?
    XP ?
    I'm using ME.
    I've tried it the other way round before I read your answer.
    I deleted 'ndvddisc.dll' instead of 'dvddisc.dll'.
    That does not work for me (still the same problems).
    So, I'm not sure, but maybe XP users should delete 'ndvddisc.dll'
    and 9X/ME users should delete 'dvddisc.dll'.

They look like twins (these files) except:
    'ndvddisc.dll' has 84 KB.
    'dvddisc.dll' has 76 KB.
    Remember 'NeNDGui.dll' has 1.548 KB !

So you better kill one of these little bastards !

Good Night !

12. michi90

michi90 Member

By the way TDY I'm not God !
    But I don't believe all these support experts.
    So I'm still using Nero 6.3.1.20 with NVE 3.1.0.0 though Ahead says
    that it is not compatible.
    6.3.1.20 is stable for me.
    Please convince me of higher versions.
    Are there any advantages ?

13. michi90

michi90 Member

So now that Recode 2 works fine
    it's time to tweak some settings.
    Stay tuned !
    Tomorrow I will post you how to switch the different 'AEC' modes
    for Recode 2 (as you know it from DVD Shrink 3.2).
    It's so simple (again).
    Maybe someone has his own idea how to do this ?

So wait and see !

14. TDY

TDY Member

I'm running XP.With this latest version I think (might be wrong) you can burn Dual layer now and I think thats why people are having problems.I have no ideal what those files do but taking out that Ndvddisc.dll did do the trick on the problem I was having ,Video_TS and some problems with Nero burning Rom not burning correctly so basically I was useing older versions of Nero to do my burns.I was talking about the God of all ages Lord of all time God,but you came close. ;-) PEACE: (\/)

15. dbminter

dbminter Regular member

spurgeon;

Sorry if I sounded accusatory, too. I didn't mean to if I did. Just wanted to show I had done more than what most people do: think they've found it from one test and leave it at that. ;) And, I must admit to a bit of foot in mouth here now... I think I, uh... had forgotten to reboot after installing 6.6.0.12...

Because, I can't repeat the problem now. In either the past known ranges or the ones that had been "fixed." I've run many tests to get the same results repeated from last night again today, and, could not get any problematic results. No Packet Header Not Found errors and no navigation problems in the video files themselves. Even the Burning 2nd Layer from Recode's output display disappeared from the 945 MB test from before, where it had been appearing, even last night. I was going to try renaming the .DLL, because I couldn't remember if I had tried that before with this issue. (Actually, now I sort of HAVE repeated the problem... a new one, one that only showed up on a playback test. In the place where, before, there had been packet header not found and cause player freezes now just causes a single pause, like it inserted a layer break, in the video.)

My only explanation is I have rebooted since then; I reboot at least once a day to prevent loss of resources. So, I think I'll wait and see if drlight posts that his similar problem went away. drlight, if you see this :) please sure you've rebooted after installing NBR 6.6.0.12, even if it doesn't ask you to reboot. Just to be sure.

16. dbminter

dbminter Regular member

I used IFOEdit to check and, sure enough, Recode did add a layer break where there wasn't supposed to be one. And it is right where the video pauses. So, the problem appears to be layer breaks are being added where they don't need to be, e.g. in a 9xx MB image? I checked the original source IFO's and the Layer Break is not near the item it's being added to. Recode appears to be adding the Layer Break in the last VTS set, e.g. the Title with the highest number in Recode.

I'm running a test right now to see if the Layer Break does not appear beyond the 9xx MB maximum where it is appearing now. AH! I see now why it didn't appear to be there anymore. It was, in fact, in there. The Layer Break is always being added to the final VTS/Title. But, for some reason, when it is between the 933 and 9xx MB range, the Layer Break is inserted into the stream at some point that is dependent on the target size of the Image. The closer you get to 933, the closer to the beginning of the Title the Layer Break is inserted. The closer you get to 985 or whatever it was, the closer to the end of the video stream the Layer Break is inserted. Past "985 MB" the Layer Break is inserted BUT it was never noticeable because the break is occurring at the end of the stream. Thus, that pause is "lost" in the typical pause causing by a DVD "reloading" the menus that occur at the end of a video stream.

So, why is a Layer Break being inserted when no layer break is needed for DVD-5? IMO, it seems to be the DVD-R DL function that was added in. This helps support the idea that this only appeared with the introduction of the versions of NBR and NVE that support it. Now, I don't know if DVD-R DL is the same as DVD+R DL, but, with DVD+R DL, both layers must be burned to due to the reflectivity. So, even if you only burn a DVD-5 size of data, both layers are burned, as near as I can see. This would also go a bit to explaining the Packet Header Not Found errors. They only occur at the end of the disc/on the final VOB, and, it makes sense. The IFO for the final VOB is telling DVD Decrypter to look for a 2nd layer and more data, which isn't there because there is no 2nd layer.

17. TDY

TDY Member

It will be interresting to see how many other people found this deleting of those files helped them out.Also like to hear what Craig the Nero guy has to say..But it worked for me and I'm happy...... :)

18. trevora

trevora Member

I upgraded to the latest version available & my burns are now successful. I downloaded packages one & two only, that's all I want to use.
    I do not do double layer burns as I only have a single layer burner, a LiteOn SOWH 812s.
    Nero used to stop burning after a few seconds & generate an error message. Thankfully, no more of those appear.
    My thanks to those that have worked towards this resolution.

19. dbminter

dbminter Regular member

trevora

You may still have a problem with double layer "burns" even when burning a single layer. That's my point. ;) Regardless of the target, Recode appears to be doing things from a DVD-R DL POV. If you write files to a Folder, you shouldn't have a problem. If you write to an Image file and the image isn't below 1,000 MB, you'll be fine, too. It's the inbetweens that people could have problems with.

But, the proof of the pudding is in the eating. :> As long as it works for you. But, you may want to keep an eye out in the future for any of the situations indicated above.

20. dbminter

dbminter Regular member

I did another burn of the same test from earlier, but, chose Folder as the target. I checked the .IFO for the last VTS in IFOEdit, and, there was no Layer Break in the files .IFO. I repeated the same job in Recode using Image Recorder for the target. I mounted the image and loaded the same .IFO in IFOEdit, and, there was the Layer Break added into the IFO.

I admit a lack of DVD structure knowledge that I wish wasn't present :) but it seems to me this is the problem with the Images, hence why writing to Files and using NBR to create the disc with a DVD-Video job worked. In fact, I'm going to test that right now: use NBR to create the image with a DVD-Video job using the output from the Files creation job in Recode, and checking the IFO in the NBR image.

Yeah, the DVD-Video job doesn't have the layer break because it's only added during Image creation by Recode. That's why using Folder mode and then NBR to make the discs worked. All it did was copy over the VIDEO_TS contents. Recode's Image creation is adding the layer break and, for whatever reason, during those file size ranges, addes the layer break at a different place. As long as the Image file size is large enough, the layer break goes at the very end of the final VTS set. But, otherwise, it goes somewhere else.

It's easily fixed, though: just use NBR to make the disc from the Folder files. If you already have a DVD-R/DVD+R that was made that wouldn't play, you may want to try decrypting all the Files off the disc, edit the final .IFO with IFOEdit, remove the Layer Break, and reburn NBR as a DVD-Video job. But, it does appear to be an issue. That Layer Breaks shouldn't be added at all unless an Image target size/target disc is a DVD-9 size. Well, I don't know if they shouldn't be added at all, but, it seems to me they shouldn't be added unless needed. And, they won't be needed unless the target image size is greater than DVD-9 or the target disc is a DVD+R DL or DVD-R DL.