1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero Showtime2

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by Barrs73, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Barrs73

Barrs73 Member

Hi all, Been searching the forums for an answer but I cannot quote old threads. I wanted to know if anyone has an answer to a problem with Nero Showtime2. I have a message that comes up with every original and burnt DVD I try to play.

"Unable to read part of a file on the DVD. Playback may be affected."

I have the last updated version of Nero 6 Ultra Edition before Nero 7 came out. Is this message to do with Graphics card? My dad has Nero 6, but a more capable computer, and he has no problems.

I had also downloaded the latest Directx9c, but that did not help.

If I am able to let the DVD run it is pixalated and some DVD's do freeze.

Thanks to anyone who can suggest anything. I am pretty basic with anything to do with the computer - but learning!

2. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

Hi.

It just sounds like you're getting a poor quality burn that your reader is unable to overcome. It may just be that your DVD reader is faulty or the lens is dirty. There are kits you can buy for cleaning.

Tips for getting a good quality burn:

- Use good quality media like Verbatim, Taiyo Yuden, and Made in Japan labeled disks, especially those from Sony and Fuji.
    - Don't burn at max speed. A good rule of thumb is to limit your burn speed to half or less the rated speed of the media as long as your burner supports the speed.
    - Keep your burner firmware up to date. Firmware can be found at the burner manufacturer's web site and at the database linked below:

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_all.php

- Don't multitask when you burn. Close all unnecessary applications.
    - Keep your hard disk defragmented and make sure there is ample space for the DVD files.

Edit: text added below

What happens to the playback when you use Windows Media Player, VLC Media Player, or Classic Media Player, or any other player?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2007
  3. Barrs73

Barrs73 Member

Hi laddyboy, thanks for replying, to answer your questions:

Most of the movies I've been trying to watch are ones bought from a shop, so I don't think burn quality is an issue there, but I will have a look at the DVD's firmware and update if necessary - and let you know if this solves the problem. EDIT: Just checked at LG and other places - no firmware for my DVD burner available.

I have Windows Media Player 11, but that won't play any dvd's due to copyright infringement. My dad looked into it and don't you have to buy the full version??

I have also got PowerDVD to watch DVD's on and they all work fine on there - no problems (I've read a few threads that recommend PowerDVD anyway), but I can't stand not knowing why Nero Showtime has this problem.

I'm happy with Nero as I have used the other components to recode and burn backups of movies without a hitch.

Thanks for your help again.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2007
  4. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

VLC Player and Media Player Classic are all free as is WMP.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_players/media_player_classic.cfm

I'm not sure why Showtime has the problems it does. Someone else posted Showtime problems yesterday. You are not the first to experience these kinds of problems. Most prefer PowerDVD over Showtime, myself included. Do all your DVDs have the same region code? PowerDVD has also been known to cause other programs to act strangely. I have Showtime, PowerDVD, WinDVD, MPC, WMP, and VLC Player all on my system and all coexist without problems. Others have reported problems. If you're really interested, you might try uninstalling PowerDVD and see if Showtime works better. I wouldn't bother myself. LOL.

5. Barrs73

Barrs73 Member

Thanks laddyboy,
    I'll have a look at those programs and see which one I prefer. It seems like it's just one of those things!!!

I did have showtime on without PowerDVD and it didn't change anything and the regions are all the same.

You have a good forum here, so I'll keep an eye on things and maybe someone might have the answer one day!!

Thanks again.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2007
  6. Barrs73

Barrs73 Member

Hi, just to add to the quirkiness of Showtime 2 and for everyone's info I have just backed up Aristocats to my hard drive and watched the movie through Showtime without a hitch, but once I burnt a DVD then tried to watch it again from the DVD through Showtime the same message popped up.

"Unable to read part of a file on the DVD. Playback may be affected."

Laddyboy mentioned it may be a burn speed problem but it also happens when I try to watch originals - straight from the store.

Just thought I would add this incase it makes sense to someone.

Cheers.

7. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

If a title plays back OK with another software player, it's not a burn quality problem.