1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero Soundtrax - Creating New Tracks?

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by cmotes, Mar 26, 2005.

1. cmotes

cmotes Member

I am converting old cassette tapes into .wav and eventually CD format using Nero 6 Ultra. I am using the Soundtrax application to reduce noise and manage the files. After recording the files (don't want to use the wizard) I am stuck with one very long track. I would like to parse this track up into multiple sub-tracks, but I'm not clear on how to do this. I can "insert track" from the main menu in Soundtrax but I can't drag any pieces of the file down into the new tracks, so they're empty. Using the wave editor I can insert tracks but those changes don't carry over to the master file.

How does one parse up one long track into multiple tracks in Nero Soundtrax?

2. Digidave

Digidave Regular member

Hi cmotes: I've recorded hundreds of albums to my harddrive for the purpose of putting them onto CD's. I've never actually used Nero Soundtrax though. I've always just used Nero Wave Editor. It's a lot of work, but if you open the Wave Editor you just click to open a file & go to where you have your Wave files stored & click one of them. It will go through a prosses of creating a Peak File & you will see sound waves. You now can edit out the bad parts. Then what I did was create folder & called it "My Albums", in that folder I made another folder & titled it the same as the album title. Then in the Wave Editor you highlight the first song & click the Edit button & go down & click on Copy to file. A box will pop up & you just go to the folder named after your album & click that. Then you have to name the file that your putting into that folder. You would name this the title of the song. I always put a number before the name so they would stay in the same order as on the album. Then you can go back to your Wave Editor & delete the first song. It will delete what ever is highlighted. You just do this to every song & you will have every album in it's own folder in a .WAV format that you can burn using Nero.It's a lot of work like I said but it was the only way I could figure to do it. I then used dBpoweramp converter to convert them to .wma format to add them to my Windows Media Player. You could convert to any format you wish though. When you go to close the Wave Editor it will ask you if you want to save, just say no & it will leave the original file intact in it's raw form. I suggest you play around with all the editing buttons to see what you can do. There are alot of things I never used, but cutting out the pops & the spaces between tracks was really nice.If you click the Enhancements button then the Declicker, this will take out a lot of the popping noises all at once. I hope this all makes sense! It took me awhile to get it all figured out. But, well worth the effort.

3. ashroy01

ashroy01 Regular member

The SoundTrax manual says that all Wave Editor functions are available in SoundTrax. If you have SoundTrax you probably have Wave Editor as well (SoundTrax is for more professional use). I use Wave Editor but maybe you could find these functions in SoundTrax as well. To put it simply insert your your track splits as normal (remember to add one at the very beginning for Track 1.) Then, under edit, select Save Audio Tracks as files. You'll get a dialog box displaying your track names - they'll be track 1, track 2, ... and so on, you can rename them here. Lower in the box is where you can choose what format you want them saved as: wav, mp3, mp4 etc. Choose where you want them saved to and you're done! It can take anywhere up to 15 minutes to save depending on what format.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2005
  4. Digidave

Digidave Regular member

ashroy01; I am experimenting with this & I got to the point of renaming the tracks. I can't figure out how to do this. Can you fill me in?

5. ashroy01

ashroy01 Regular member

I included a lot of details, it's easier than it looks.

You're at the "Save Tracks as Separate Files" dialog box?

You've got one big track split into sections you want to save as individual tracks. Remember to put a track split at the very beginning (Track 1!) this is easily forgotten.

1. From top to bottom your first option is directory - pick or create a folder for your new tracks.
    2. Next you should see a medium sized box with your track names - if you've already named them, good, if not (track 1, track 2, etc.)you can name them now or leave them, you can always go to the folder after you're done and do it.
    3. Next is where you select your format. Click the drop down arrow and these are your options on how you want your tracks saved. I can't tell you what to pick because I don't know what options you have - it depends. (If you have .wma here you could select it and skip a step.) Wav is the safest, I guess, you can always convert it to something else, right? ***Note: If you select mp3 or wma or anything with compression, it will use the default, cd quality - 128 bits. If you want to change it, you need to click the "Options" button (to the right).
    4. Playlist - whatever.

When you save you'll see the saving progress bar pop on the screen, it will do this for every track, once you're done, check out your folder and see if they're in there. You're done! You can convert your files now if you need to.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2005
  6. Digidave

Digidave Regular member

I got everything except the renaming part. I don't see a way to do this. I can't "Right Click" on them & I don't see anything that will allow this. You also stated "if you've already done this, good". Did I miss something? How would I already have done this? You help is greatly appreciated!!

7. ashroy01

ashroy01 Regular member

you probably couldn't have already named them, forget I mentioned it.

left-click the name once to highlight
    left-click again to edit the name

track one should already be highlighted, just click it once, a box forms around the name, that's called a text box, hit backspace and type in your track name.***

Don't include any of these characters in the title name: /\?<>|*
    If you do, you'll get an error message when Wave Editor goes to save it. (I did that, got 32 out of 35 right, but had to do them all over again because I used a few forward-slashes///)

It's a text box so you can use any tricks you use when typing. If you use long track names like me you may want to copy and paste part of it so you don't have to keep retyping the long names. Mine usually look like this: ## - Song Title [bold]- Album Title - Artist[/bold] so I would copy and paste the part in bold to save some time.

*** you can rename any windows file like this: click the name once to highlight then click it again to rename, just don't doubleclick :)

Last edited: Apr 14, 2005
  8. Digidave

Digidave Regular member

I finally got it!! When the "Save tracks as Files" comes up I did get all the Track 1, Track 2 & so on. But, when I double clicked them to rename them nothing would happen. After playing around with it for awhile, because I figured it was possible & I just had to get to the bottom of this little dilemma, I finally got it to work. It seems that this little box is extremely fussy. I have to have my pointer in just the right spot & have to time the double clicks just at the right speed. So, in conclusion, I want to say Thanx for help, time, & effort to Ashroy01. Peace Dude!

9. sclgwhite

sclgwhite Member

A few years ago I bought Magix "audio cleaning lab". Since then, I wait until the annual revision appears, watch the Fry's Electronics ads, and get the previous years' version free as an upgrade. It is all you will ever need to do the kind of stuff you are doing. You can clean, trim, add surround sound, add echo, etc. There is a dialog box for entering track titles, and when you burn the CD the CD title and track titles burn, too, so if you play them in an appropriate player, that data displays. Their burning engine has never failed to work for me. This software will do lots of sophisticated things I will never need, but it is simple to use, and I use it frequently.