1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero Ultra 7.9.6.0 - Nero Vision 4 BSOD

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by jgiorla, Jun 19, 2007.

1. jgiorla

jgiorla Member

Hi everybody! Long time lurker first time poster.

Let me add a bit of background to the situation. I recently purchased 4GB of DDR2 memory, and I switched over to Windows XP x64 SP2. My machine is running stock except my qx6700 is at 3.2 GHz @ 1.36v (rock solid 12 hours of Prime). Needless to say I am enthusiastic, everything works like a charm. Everything except my favorite program... Nero Vision. I freshly installed XP x64, with all the updates. I have tried the latest version 7.9.6.0, as well as my older "favorite" version 7.5.9.0 (I think 7.5.9.0 is the most stable of all Nero 7 versions). No luck with either of them.

I am converting a PAL dvd to NTSC, like I usually do with Nero Vision. When I had 2GB of memory and XP 32bit SP2 everything worked perfectly. I rip the VOBs with dvd decrypter, I select the M2V file, and the AC3 file of my choice. Then I load up the VOBs into Nero Vision, select NTSC, Automatic fit, Progressive, 2-pass or 1-pass, and AC3 5.1. and voila', I have get a nice NTSC copy. perfectly quality, nothing to complain about. Now I am trying to do the same thing and this is what happens: nero vision starts encoding, and its crunching along. 2 to 3 minutes into the job, the pc freezes for 2 seconds, BSOD MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/329284), and reboot. I was quick enough to read the BSOD when it flashes infront of my eyes.

Now, may I once again say that all I have changed in the last week are my RAM, and my operating system. I have not tried encoding any other files to DVD (like AVI or WMV files for example), but I have a feeling those will crash too. When I go home tonight I will run memtest on my memory, just in case I have a bad stick (which I doubt because nothing else crashes), but its possible. I am also going to try to put my old 2GB of Corsair memory in, and try the encode with those. In the mean time, I would like to hear from those people with XP x64 SP2 that are running Nero 7. Have you encountered this problem? I am aware that Nero Scout and InCD dont work on x64, but I dont even have those installed. All I have installed is Nero Burning Rom, Nero Recode, and Nero Vision. I am more prone to think that my OS is the problem, not my hardware. Otherwise other things would crash too.

Please help, this is driving me nutz. I dont want to partition and dual boot to XP 32bit just to be able to use Nero 7. I cant live without this program.

Thanks,
    Julian

2. jgiorla

jgiorla Member

small update

ran memtest86, ram is fine, so its definitely not my hardware.
    ran nero recode, works perfectly. nero vision is the only app crashing.
    tried to encode dvd from a 2CD xvid rip, same BSOD.

clearly something is wrong with nero vision 4 and XP x64. Anybody else experiencing this?

3. jgiorla

jgiorla Member

anybody have a clue? does anyone have xp x64 with a working nero vision 4?

I emailed nero tech support hopefully they will get back to me.

4. AlterEcho

AlterEcho Member

I am having the same problem.

I am using Win XP (32-bit) and the only program crashing is Nero Vision. Mine crashes when opening Nero Vision.

Event Viewer shows nothing. Application Data\Ahead\NeroVision shows nothing. The log spits this out:

[01:53:23] NeroVision Log created (Date: 06/22/2007)
    [01:53:24] NeroVision Processors: 2 (Intel)
    [01:53:24] NeroVision OS: Windows XP Professional Edition
    [01:53:24] GCCore Detected DirectX Version 9 or higher

5. jgiorla

jgiorla Member

thats not exactly the same problem thou. Nero 7 works perfectly in 32 bit XP for me. in x64 XP thou, nero vision does not crash when it opens, it crashes while encoding the dvd. and I have tried just about every version of nero 7 now, from 7.2.7.0 all the way to 7.9.6.0, and nothing works.

I am using nero 6.6.1.15 now, which comes with nero vision 3 express, and it works perfectly. but I dont like it because neither Vision nor Recode are multithreaded. while in Nero 7 they are both multithreaded.

looks like im doomed to dual-boot. sigh. why! *punches the table*

6. AlterEcho

AlterEcho Member

Hang on.....I am working on a solution as we speak.....

7. AlterEcho

AlterEcho Member

BTW...what video card are you running?

8. AlterEcho

AlterEcho Member

I was able to correct my issue.

Try these two things and see if they work.

Try earlier version of video driver.
    Remove all video capture devices, especially anything using firewire (could be a meistb issue).

Since you are using XP 64 (must have your reasons :) )
    Nero could be having an issue with either hardware accleration or a capture device being incorrectly enumerated.

Let me know

9. jgiorla

jgiorla Member

I have no video capture devices. I am running two 8800 GTXs in SLI and my video driver is the very stable Forceware 158.22. AlterEcho, I can assure you this has nothing to do with device drivers or hardware accelleration. This is an issue with either cpu cache addressing or memory addressing. In both cases the WOW64 emulator is responsible me thinks.

I resolved the issue for now, by splitting my RAID 0 array into two single 150GB raptors, and installing XP Pro x86 on one drive and x64 on the other. I decided to use x64 as my gaming/internet/download OS since every game works great and its more secure for online activity, while I use x86 as my audio/video editing and encoding OS.

So far so good. But I still hope that ahead fixes the issues on x64, because I would like to use only x64 on my ex-RAID 0 array. I hate compromises.

10. jgiorla

jgiorla Member

I fixed it.

The problem is the 4x1GB of memory. If I pull out 2 DIMMs, nero vision works great. What bothers me is that this is for sure a problem with nero vision, and not with my memory or motherboard, because everything else is rock solid. I have stress tested for hours.

so looks like im going back to 2GB and 32bit XP just be able to use Nero. wonderful.

11. AlterEcho

AlterEcho Member

Just got back from vacation, today.
    I am also running 4 1gb sticks. After reading your reply I decided to test my memory sticks.
    I added back my firewire capture device and went back to the newest drivers from nvidia. I promptly got the BSOD. I then pulled 2 sticks and no BSOD. I have also stressed my memory and no errors. I think I am going to test voltages, next.

-=AE=-

12. jgiorla

jgiorla Member

At this point I am pretty sure that Nero Vision has problems addressing 4GB of memory. Whether its because of the 4x1, I dont know. I dont have 2x2GB sticks to test this second configuration. All I know is Nero Vision 4 and 4GB of memory = BSOD. In both 32 and 64 bit XP.