1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero Ultra 7 Question

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by MoneyPit6, Feb 19, 2008.

1. MoneyPit6

MoneyPit6 Member

This is my first time here and I did a search for my problem but didn't see anything about it so please forgive me if I've made a mistake?
    I'm using Nero Ultra 7.0.1.2 on XP to burn movie clips to a DVD disk. When I add the files the small icon on the left in the title I've just added is all distorted and if I try to burn it that way, it comes out distored on my DVD player. I've tried several brands of blank DVD media. The video clips play fine on my computer. It also doesn't seem to matter what format the clip is MWV,MPEG,AVI, they all seem to do it about 20% of the time.
    I hope I have explained my problem in a way that someone can help me? This problem has been ongoing for 2 years and I've wasted many blank disks. Thanks Dave :)

2. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Your Nero can use an update - many fixes since the version you're using.
    Update it to the latest - 7.10.1.2.

You might also want to try another program - here's a good free one - DVD Flick

3. born2ride

born2ride Regular member

binkie

with that updated do you perform a clean install first?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2008
  4. binkie7

Usually I don't - I just run the update.

But it's not a bad idea to uninstall with the clean tool 1st, reboot then do the install.

5. MoneyPit6

MoneyPit6 Member

I really hesitate to do an update as I'm using a 'custom' instal. I really have no need for a lot of what Nero is capable of doing. I JUST burn CD's and DVD's.
    I would however consider an up date if someone here would point me to the exact update I need, and also where do I get the "Clean Tool?"

6. binkie7

You can find the update and clean tool for Nero 7 on this link.

I do a custom install too - that same applies when updating the software. You still get a choice to do a custom install and pick what you want to install.

7. MoneyPit6

MoneyPit6 Member

Thanks binkie, I'm doing the update download now (322mb) and I found the clear tool along the left side under 'Tools and Utilities' I'm hoping this clean tool won't cause the same problems as when I did a reformat? After reformatting it seems that Nero thought my copy was stolen because the option to "create a DVD movie" wasn't avaiable in the menue. I sent Nero an email explaining this problem along with my serial number ect. and they NEVER did answer that email. So I'm not totally sure I'll use the clean tool, but thanks for it anyway. I'll keep it on file. Thanks :) Dave

8. binkie7

Well using the clean tool you may have to do the patent activation thing but as long as you pick I think the 2nd option - something about doing a reinstall you're fine though this is only good for I think 5 times.
    After you will need to contact Nero, explain the situation and have them activate it.
    So you might just want to give the update 1st a go.

9. MoneyPit6

MoneyPit6 Member

Yes I agree binkie, as contacting Nero hasn't worked in the past and the program cost me $100.00. Best to be safe than sorry. :) Thanks :) Dave

10. binkie7

Not a problem Dave.

Yep I agree better safe then sorry :)

Keep us posted - if the update doesn't do the trick then give DVDFlick a go.

11. MoneyPit6

MoneyPit6 Member

OK it's fully downloaded now going to try the instal now. This must be a whole stand alone new program encluding the updates by the size of it? It's not an 'add' on right?

12. binkie7

Yeah Nero is pretty big. They call it an update but it's as big as regular install. There have been quite a few updates since the version you are using.
    Running it will really be an update - so you're good there.

13. MoneyPit6

MoneyPit6 Member

Well I installed it and it did an auto delete on my older version so the clean up tool wasn't needed. It did an update of my Direct X as well. As you said binkie, it did offer me the choice of a custom instal. BUT I'm sad to report nothing changed. :(
    I tried those movie clips again after the update and they still become distorted while they are going through the "add" process.
    By the way, I did try DVD Flix yesterday and it started out like it was going to work ok but when I returned from dinner it had put up an error. Something about transcoding error see log file?
    After that I downloaded DVD Flix Beta version # 1.3.0.0 but I haven't tried it yet.
    God this can get frustrating huh? :( Thanks Dave

14. binkie7

Darn :(

Okay what are these clips from? There is something about them that neither program likes.

15. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

the option to "create a DVD movie" wasn't avaiable in the menue

need to load the dvd plugin serial

got the log from dvd flick we can read up on?

16. MoneyPit6

MoneyPit6 Member

What do you mean, what are these clips from? binkie? I have no idea if there's anything either program doesn't like. The formats vary so it's not that. They play GREAT on Win. Media Player 10 on my pc.
    As far as DVD Flix goes I have no idea where this so called log was? I clicked on the link that DVD Flix gave me and nothing came up.
    I'm going to try the Beta version of DVD Flix next chance I get. I'm too frustrated to try anything more today. I've learned not to do too much messing around when I'm in this mood lol thanks for all your help so far :) .... Dave

17. binkie7

I was wondering if they might be from a video camera, camcorder, maybe a flv converted - that type of thing.
    But if it's from all different sources and 2 programs give you a problem maybe something more w/ the pc itself.

Try this codecs pack - ffdshow

18. MoneyPit6

MoneyPit6 Member

blinkie: Theses clips were downloaded from web sites and they are in various formats like: MWV,MPEG,MPG. ect. Doesn't seem to matter what format the clip is in, Nero will sometimes distort the clip when I add it to be burned.
    Does this codec pack work with the 'beta' version of DVD Flix? or should I try the latetest version before the beta one?
    I'm pretty sure there are no issues with my pc because this problem only happens about 20% of the time. Thanks. Dave

19. binkie7

Yes it will work. It's the same one I use that I see Nero use at times (you'll see ffsdshow in the system tray).

What's sites are you downloading them from - are they like youtube clips? Or just regular movie downloads :)
    I'm thinking now that it may have something to do with how these files were created origianlly (?)

20. MoneyPit6

MoneyPit6 Member

blinkie: Yes sites like youtube. I've always thought it was something to do woth how these clips were created. I've often thought if the clip, for instance was originally created in WMV, If I could convert it to say AVI? it might just be OK? I've messed around a little bit with free file converters but for the most part, I couldn't figure out how they worked. Thanks for your help. I'll let you know if DVD Flix beta with your codec pack fixes my problem. Dave :)