1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero upgradable from Essentials? Time limited? (Essentials not Vista compat)

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by Hex1975, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Hex1975

Hex1975 Member

Hello guys/gals..

Please forgive the noob question, but I did a couple of searches (nero upgrade and nero essentials) and didn't find a direct answer to my question.

OS = Windows Vista. I recently purchased a Sony DVD-/+RW (DRU-120C) drive and it came with Nero Essentials 7. The serial number is buried somewhere in the installation process, but I'm unable to find it in the registry (at this point I've uninstalled the included Nero and run the Nero Cleaner). When I reinstall it I do not see the serial number show up, although I do remember seeing it the 1st time I installed it.

Can I upgrade from this essentials version(7) to 7.5.9.0 if I can find the serial number? If not and I download 7.5.9.0 is it time limited or limited in some other form? Also, and help finding the serial number would be greatly appreciated, although I think I can find that with some more digging.

Thanks in advance... I've already learned a good bit from browsing the forums.

2. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Regular member

Last edited: Mar 5, 2007
  3. Hex1975

Hex1975 Member

Nero actually had a nice little feature where I could install the Essentials CD and it found the serial number. Very happy with this. I did not see any notice of limitations, but right now I'm having the same problems with my burner (Sony DRU-120C) locking up very shortly ~5% into the process (even at 24x) that I had with several other programs I tried. I've checked to make sure DMA is checked... not sure what else to try.

Not trying to get off topic, though. Nero found the Essentials serial (prompted me to put the cd in) and I have yet to see any limitations... I'll post if I find any. Now I just have to get this working. :)

4. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Regular member

If you are running Vista, what version do you have? You need one of the last two 7.5.9.0 or later.

5. Hex1975

Hex1975 Member

I have 7.5.9.0 installed now. I really think I have a bigger problem. I've tried to burn something just using Vista(Home64)... dragging files to the cd and then telling it to "Burn" I've tried ImgBurn, DeepBurner, and now Nero. I've yet to get a single cd to burn. The drive Sony DRU-120C shows as a DW-G120A and should have pretty new firmware. I just borrowed a CDRW from another computer (working in a computer lab has it's advantages) and I get the same result. Even at 8x it made it to 5% and then stopped, then told me it failed. At least no Nero lockup, though.

Should I make a new post for this? This post is getting well off topic and 1/2 of what I was asking I've figured out.

Thanks again,

Hex..

6. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Regular member

I believe that is what you need Packet Writing software for. If you decide to install it, InCD is for that purpose. Vista is supposed to have something like it built in, but I never used it. I will do some research and let you know if I find anything.

I just checked and Vista is supposed to have something called the "Live File Format", which allows for adding files as you seem to want.

The help and Support section goes into detail about which format to use and what is compatible with which versions of OSes. I am using the Beta version of Vista, so it may not even be in the final version, but look for "Format a CD or DVD" in the Help and Support. At the bottom you can get more information.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2007