1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero vision Question

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by junesie, Mar 11, 2007.

1. junesie

junesie Guest

Hellooo
    So, when I add some avi files to my DVD project, I go to the limit(4.38gb), then I do menu and other stuff, then it converts it to dvd.
    But my question is, why when it's all finished and done, is the finished project smaller than 4.38 gb? It's like 3 gb.
    It's like this all the time, sometimes I need to convert a tv episode to dvd, it shows 3gb before conversion, but when it's done, it's like 1.7 gb.

How can I get accurate numbers? I'd really like to use the whole dvd and not half of it, or close to it.

Appreciate any feedback or help:)

2. Corypolo

Corypolo Member

Hi junesie

Well, let's use a vhs tape as an analogy: when you use the SP (standard play) setting to record, you have 2 hours of tape to use, so a two hour movie uses up the whole thing, but if you change the quality to LP (Long Play), there's actually now 4 hours available.

Okay, but what if you only record a 2 hour movie at that setting?

Of course, you'll have about half the tape left.

When encoding video on a 4.38 dvd blank with Nero, Nero actually has the option to encode at different settings to accommodate from 2 to 6 hours of video content. If (as I believe is your case) you encode with a quality other than the default (of 2 hours, which is also a SP or Standard Play rate, so I'm thinking you're probably using EP or Extended Play), you'll still have some unused disk space remaining.

3. junesie

junesie Guest

Hello thank you for the reply and the explanation:)
    I use "high quality" setting and 2 pass in Nero Vision.
    So would it be possible to maybe instead of adding 4.38 of data, put in 6gb? Would it then be closer to 4.38 in the final dvd project?

4. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

You will find that AVI files of around 700mb (a standard movie) will , after conversion will become around the 4+ Gb size. If you can keep the total of your AVI files below or around the 750mb size then you shouldnt have any problems fitting it to a DVD5.