1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero Vision slower than other encoders?

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by waveform2, May 16, 2007.

1. waveform2

waveform2 Member

Hi all,

I use Nero Vision Express to write AVI files to DVD. However the encoding phase of a full length movie takes about 5 hours. Is that simply because of the speed of my machine, or are there faster avi-to-dvd encoders out there?

If so, what's the best one to use, which also lets you do basic menus? I don't mind buying a commercial one if it's good and fast.

Many thanks!

2. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Hi waveform2
    The specs of the pc will play a big part in how long it takes.

Some programs are a little faster too like ConvertXtoDVD.
    It will do basic menus.
    Using ConvertX is about 1/2 hr faster for me.
    Has a trial you can check out - leaves a watermark but would give you an idea on the time.

What are you're pc specs? Just ram and processor speed is fine.

3. waveform2

waveform2 Member

Thanks for that Binkie. ooh it's an old machine, P4 1.6, 1gb ram.

If I upgraded to the latest & greatest PC, might benefit me in a few ways, playing the latest games and encoding a lot faster... how long does it take to encode a whole DVD with the latest speed CPU?

4. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Yeah that pc is going to a take longer the something newer.

Can't really give a diff of time on the newest stuff - lot of stuff out there now.
    But here's a baseline for you - 2.8Ghz w/ 1 gig ram using Vision is approx 1-1/2 hrs - running a clean pc.

If you haven't been keeping up on the pc maintenance - that can make a diff in time. Though I don't think it will take you to the 4 hr mark but still good to do.
    Disc defrag, cleaning out the inside of the case, running a good registry cleaner like the free ccleaner (use the issues and cleaner options) and virus scans.