1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero Vision won't show video as it's transcoding anymore

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by arridian, Sep 6, 2022.

1. arridian

arridian Member

Here is a screenshot of when I tried to change the file associations for Nero. It had a bunch of programs listed for mp4 and mpeg, but Nero wasn't in the list of any of them. :(

fileassoc.

2. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

In your screenshot, you don't have .mp4 highlighted to get to the Change option that I mentioned.

Another option is to right click on the emustration file and choose properties. In the General tab, click on Change for the Open With. You should get a screen similar to the one I described and an option to Choose an app and browse to the Nero Video.exe. You could also select Open With when you right click on the file and proceed from there. Unless Microsoft has really screwed things up in Win 10, you should have the same options as in Vista and Win 7. I happen to routinely use Vista.

When I use the Change option in Vista, this is what I see. It's just a different display of what you see in Win 10. If you notice at the bottom of the screen, there is a Browse button. In Win 10, I think it would be "Choose an app."

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2022
  3. arridian

arridian Member

I did the right-click the mp4 thing and chose Nero as the associated file to open it and it come up with this error: error. after I click OK, it runs Nero as normal, and it still won't play the video.

4. arridian

arridian Member

error. better image

5. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

Well, after all the messing around we did, we found that it won't play a mpg4 in either the Content screen or on the Timeline, let alone display during transcoding. I think this is a throw back to the unsupported AVC codec in h.264 mpeg-4. I have never understood why you can import a mpeg-4 to create the DVD-Video based on what I've said previously about your version of Nero in regards to possibly being a hack. Would you try the Export function to export the file to file using both the mp4 and AVC options?

6. arridian

arridian Member

I exported the file using both the mp4 and AVC options, and it worked without a problem. I wasn't sure while it was creating them whether the video should be played during the render or not, but it wasn't displayed. Curious thing however, I found that there are multiple AVC options listed. Here is a screenshot: neroavc.

7. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

Yes, you should see the video being rendered during the export operation.

Will either play in the Content screen?

Would you give me a copy of both exported files?

Do you have a discrete graphics card? If so, what is it. Is hardware acceleration enabled?

8. arridian

arridian Member

Neither of the videos will play in the content screen. Here are the videos: https://we.tl/t-KXEs0AolqS
    My graphics card is an NVIDIA GeForce GT 730. Here is a screenshot: videocard.
    here is a screenshot of the "control panel" for the card. It only comes up for a second then goes away: videocard2.

9. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

Thanks much for the files. Nero Video encoded them properly which takes us back to why they won't render.

Go to Device Manager, Display Adapters, NVIDIA................
    In the Driver tab, select disable, ok, yes and reboot.

Try any of the videos in the Content screen.

10. arridian

arridian Member

Results!
    When I disabled the video card and restarted, it changed the resolution (expectedly), but videos now play in the content screen! When I re-enabled the card, it wouldn't. Not sure where to go to now, maybe mess around with the card's settings?

11. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

Hallelujah! Does it render properly during encoding to DVD-Video?

What I was after is a follow up on my question about hardware acceleration. I know that it affects Nero on different systems in different ways, from working in the forums for 12 years. I don't have Win 10 and you indicated that the GeForce Experience died immediately so I thought the easiest way to see if hardware acceleration was the culprit was t0 disable the card. Although one would think that's the problem, based on your results, I realize that it's not perfectly clear since the card is using Directx 12 and, as I indicated earlier, your version of Nero Video used a different version of Directx, which you installed. I could ask you to uninstall Directx 12 but an expert might say that could result in numerous problems and I don't want to screw up you system. I'm not sure. The thing that gets me is that one doesn't need hardware acceleration in Nero. It only speeds things up during transcoding/encoding and doesn't affect rendering, such as the problem you're seeing. Maybe 5 years ago, NVIDIA disabled hardware acceleration in their latest drivers for cards earlier than GeForce 600. AMD did the same thing for it's legacy cards. I have a GTX 560 on this system and I have to use an older driver to use hardware acceleration. However, I could use the latest driver and still play a video within Nero Video. My best guess is that the problem is Directx. Perhaps that's the reason v11 is incompatible with Win 8 and later. Nero AG would need to answer that question and I don't think it's supporting v11 anymore. I have a problem with launching into the Welcome/Launcher for Nero Platinum 11 and 12 on this Vista system. I asked Nero about it via message at their Facebook page and they said they would look into it. It's been two months without an answer but the next version of Nero should be available in the next week and all hands are usually really busy making sure it doesn't need any tweeks before issuing it. Of course, the Facebook page is not the official way of getting support.

Despite the fact that I'm convinced your version is a hack, some of the operations you're doing do work. The major handicap is not being able to play a video in either the Timeline, the Content screen or the menu playback so that you can do editing before authoring the video to the desired final form. In other words, you can't use most of the capabilities that Nero Video has unless you disable the card.

The only way out if you want to use the full capabilities without disabling the card, as I see it, is to upgrade to Nero Video V2023 when it comes out. If you went that way, I would suggest buying a permanent license rather than a subscription (which is cheaper). Note that the permanent licenses usually come down in price after the first few months that a new version is released. I'm recommending the permanent license since changes each year are usually not that significant (in my mind) and not worth automatically having to pay for the new subscription each year. Of course, whether or not to just buy Nero Video or the full suite depends on how many things you do with your media.

You can also buy v2016 or later for Win 10 around the web but, sometimes, they're overpriced or the the serial numbers aren't usable because they've previously been used on other systems. The only way I would buy an older one on the web is to buy an unopened box version. I could go on and on about this particular subject. I find Amazon to be the best site for purchasing Nero. Nero has some partners at e-bay but I don't know which ones they are. It's a real crapshoot.

12. arridian

arridian Member

Yes, when the card was disabled, it did render properly encoding to DVD-Video. I'm wondering if it's possible to get a trial of a newer Nero program so I could at least test it to see if it worked? I'm not sure how much it would cost to buy it, but it'd be problematic to buy it and then not work properly. However, in the meantime, I will check out Amazon and see what the prices are like.

13. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

All "new" versions of Nero have a 30 day money back guarantee. There's no question in my mind that v2016 and later will work properly.

I took a look at Amazon and there wasn't as much there as I've seen before. If you see something that's a possibility, run it past me first. This is a safe bet- https://store.nero.com/order/checko...urce=pp...nv2022....&ecid=etr.am.......R14766

What bothers me is that it says it's an unlimited license. I'm not sure if that's a permanent license rather than a subscription. Let me ask Nero about that on Monday. Edit: I found the answer. The unlimited is a permanent license. You buy the software and use it forever. Updates are free but, you will need to pay if you want to upgrade to a newer version.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2022
  14. arridian

arridian Member

Just want to give you a huge thank you for helping me with this and finding out the problem. I saw on Amazon that they have Nero 2018. Would that be doable? I forget when Windows 10 originally came out.

15. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

You're welcome. I didn't look it up but I think Win 10 was officially launched in 2015.

As I've said before, v2016 and later are Win 10 compatible. You need to give me the address for the specific copy your looking at. I see Nero 2018 Platinum for $99 which seems to be legit. Note that you won't get the 30 day guarantee and this particular seller also doesn't show a return policy. You would have to ask.

16. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

Are you going to give me the address? I want to give you my best advice on what you're looking at.

17. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

I was looking at post 55 and realized that the Nero 2018 Platinum price is $10 higher than that for a permanent license of Nero Platinum 2022 right now. I suspect v2023 will be out in a couple days but haven't asked Nero about it. The initial price will normally be higher than what the v2022 version is right now.

If you would, let me know what you ultimately decide to do.

18. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Why are you pissing around wasting money when there's vidcoder for more hands on or handbrake which are free & regularly updated

19. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

Since this is a forum for Nero software, I try to keep solutions in that context. I don't know if Handbrake can edit video, add effects, etc., which Nero Video can do and he may want to.

20. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

The forum is irrelevant when free is available even more so for op as all he wants is dvd to mp4 nothing else