1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero VisionExpress - no audio

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by topmonkey, May 8, 2004.

1. topmonkey

topmonkey Member

Hi,
    I just authored my first DVD with Nero VisionExpress 2. The video plays back fine but there is no audio when I play it back. In Nero's history log I found the following error; is this relevant?

#27 Text 0 File DVDR.cpp, Line 4034
    Drive: _NEC DVD_RW ND-1300A
    Book Type request: none
    Changing the book type was finish with error code: -1065

As you can see my drive id the NEC ND-1300A. I was using a Memorex 1x-2.4x 4.7GB DVD+R.

Please help - my university degree depends upon it!

Thanks,
    TM

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

I don"t know what the Problem is But I can tell you that Nero Vision Express is notorius for how Crappy it is...
    Nero Vision express uses the Worst Quality Mpeg Encoder Known to Man and it will Allways re-encode your files even if your files are allready in the correct format for DVD and this re-encode just ruins the quality of the DVD.....
    Your Problem sounds Like the Audio format in your Source File was of a format that Vision express didn"t Like...
    Post back with the specs of your Source file Like it"s format and it"s resolution and Frame rate and audio format, Then I can tell you how to go about getting the file in the Correct format for DVD and to get it on DVD with the Best Quality Possible.....Cheers

3. topmonkey

topmonkey Member

Bloody Nero.

OK, I'm using .avi files at a frame rate of 25f/s (keyframe every 15 frames) with a 768x576 resolution, this is using the Cinepak Codec by Radius.
    The audio format was 16bit 44100Hz Stereo .wav before rendering the .avi.

Hope this helps you help me.

As you can see I'm a newbie, so you might have to explain things in simple terms!

Cheers,
    TM

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well Those Files should not be hard to encode to Mpeg2 and Author to DVD....
    First download Tmpgenc, (You can get it in the software section of this site)
    It is free for 30 days for mpeg2 encodeing....
    Tmpgenc has a Simple "Wizard" style interface that takes you through the Process of setting up your AVI files to be Encoded to Mpeg2/DVD Format...
    Your Files are Pal so you will have to encode them as Pal Files so I hope you Live in Europe because you might have problems playing Pal Movies on NTSC TV Sets....
    After Installing Tmpgenc run the program and the "Wizard" screen should Pop up, There are 5 steps of which most you can skip...
    In the First step you choose what format you are going to encode to so you would go under "DVD" and select "Pal" and then at the Bottom there is a Dropdown menu select "CBR Mpeg 1 Layer 2 Audio (MP2)" and then Click "Next"...
    In step #2 you just select the File you are going to encode to Mpeg2/DVD, So you just Click the "Browze" Button next to "Video" and select the AVI file you are going to encode, if you have a seperate Audio file you need to add it under the "Audio" heading, .
    After loading in your File click "Next"...
    Step #3 can be skipped so just click "Next"..
    Here in step #4 you just have to make sure the "Video resolution" is set to "720+576" and then click "next agian...
    If you get any messages or warnings while doing this don"t worry and ignore them...
    Here in step #5 you just check the Output file name and click "OK" and wait a few hours while it encodes the AVI file to Mpeg2/DVD....

After it has finnished encodeing the AVI file you will be left with a File with a .mpg extention, This file has to be authored to DVD useing a DVD authoring program ,The DVD Authoring Program will allow you to add chapters and menu"s and it will burn the DVD, You don"t want to use Vision express for this because it allways re-encodes every file which ruins the Quality so you should download a simple DVD authoring program , one that is really super simple to use is "Tmpgenc DVD author" (It is different from Tmpgenc the encoder) it also has a 30 day fully working Demo available and it is really easy to use and it will not re-encode your Mpeg file so the quality will be much better than before and you should not have the audio problems.....Cheers

5. topmonkey

topmonkey Member

Thanks Minion.
    I got there eventually. I now have a working DVD!
    TMPGEnc did the job but I found my AVIs were the wrong format (type 1 instead of type 2) so converted them with Ulead's DV converter (after realising that re-rendering [for 7hrs!] to type 2 was too poor in quality) and my audio was 44.1kHz instead of 48kHz which was easily fixed with Audition.
    What puzzles me is why type1 AVI is so much better in quality than type2? Shame TMPGEnc doesn't support it.
    Anyway, thanks again, I couldn't have done it without your help - you saved my coursework - hooray!
    TM

6. Minion

Minion Senior member

It"s Not that Type 1 is better Quality than Type 2 it is Just that converting from Type 1 to Type 2 makes you Loose a Lot of Quality...If the files were originally captured as Type 2 the Quality would be the same as Type 1....
    Instead of doing from Type 1 to Type 2 you should have gone to Type 1 to HuffYUV because the HuffYUV Codec is a Totally lossless Codec so going from Type 1 DV to HuffYUV AVI will produce the same Quality as the Type 1 accept you will be able to encode the File easilly in most Encodeing/Editing Programs...HuffYUV can take up as Much as 30gb per hour of Video but if you have the space then it is worth it....Cheers