1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero vs. Roxio

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by bas1, Sep 27, 2004.

1. bas1

bas1 Member

Can I install both Nero and Roxio? Would there be any file conflict? If Roxio v5 is already installed should it be removed before installing Nero?

Bev

2. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

Bev
    Roxio can cause problems w/ some burning program. I would remove it and then go to Roxio's Website and D/L roxiozip and get rid of the rest that is left behind.
    If you use Nero the do not install INCD. One good thing about Nero is it has a whole lot of good programs w/ it and between the 2 I would install Nero only.

3. bas1

bas1 Member

Thank you for your help. I have three DVD writers.

Roxio Basic 5 is installed on 8200 Dimensions Desktop and Inspiron 8500 laptop. Sonic Record Now is installed on both computers. Nero is not installed on either.

Sony 530UL external unit connected to desktop that came bundled with Sonic/Record Now. I have this software installed on desktop and laptop.

Dynex DVDRW8 which I just installed in my Dell Dimensions desktop. It came bundled with Nero OEM. I have not installed it. Sonic/Record Now will work with this unit.

Built in DVD/CD RW on 8500 laptop came with computer and bundled Roxio CD/DVD5. This RW will also work with Sonic/Record Now.

Both computers will work with Sonic/Record Now.
    8200 dimensions when using Dynex or Sony and CD basic 5, software cannot locate the writers because both writers were adds after putchasing the computer.

What a mess. Any suggestions? Nero is not installed on either computer. Roxio 5 basic is installed on both. Sonic/Record Now is the only software that will work with all three writers.

Bev

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I'll second Car.Mike's recommendation. Nero 6 is very stable, compatible and performs wonderfully. Personally I'd never let a Roxio install disc near my PC because it's infamous for conflicting with other burning apps.

If you do decide to install Nero then you must make sure that all remnants of Roxio are gone using this tool after you perform the normal uninstall:

http://softwareupdates.roxio.com/gm/support/tools/roxizap.exe

5. bas1

bas1 Member

Nephilium. Thank you for the link. I previously tried to get into roxio and could not. This link will do it.

Last question, Will Nero conflict with Sonic/Record Now?

Bev

6. Nephilim

They shouldn't. I've had Nero 6 Ultra and the Orlogix version of RecordNow on my system for quite some time and haven't had single problem with either one conflicting. I've never heard of anyone else having problems with the two conflicting either.

7. bas1

bas1 Member

car.mike and Nephilium, thanks for the help.

I add/removed Easy CD Creator basic 5. After that I ran roxizap.exe via the link you provided, Nephilium. Then I installed Nero from the OEM software provided by Dynex with DVDRW8. It works just fine so far. Then I executed Sonic Record Now and it could not find my two DVD drives. After add/remove of Sonic Record Now, I reinstalled it and both software packages seem to be working now.

I like the directness of Nero.

I would like to do the same on my Dell Inspiron 8500 which has a DVD RW supplied by Dell but I am afraid that Nero will not support that drive.

Thanks again.

Bev

8. Nephilim

Nero is one of the most compatible burning apps out there. If you install it and it doesn't work you always have the option to uninstall it :)