1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

nero won't rip with dvd shrink

Discussion in 'Audio' started by bbamx68, Jul 17, 2004.

1. bbamx68

bbamx68 Guest

I just got a new computer,An intel 3000 cpu with an 80 and a 127 gig hd 1 gig memory running xp home and first thing I did was install nero 6 then I installed dvd shrink,I have dvd43 and patin couffin installed just like on my older amd 2000 cpu(I had same memory and hd's)I can bring up dvd shrink and it works fine until the backup is done and starts the burn,I get to writing leadin then it goes to writing tracks and bam,it fails right there.I have norton internet sec. and i've even tried disableing it,no other dvd burn software,also if I try to burn right from nero my burn button is grayed out.I've burned dozens of dvd's on my amd system but this one is driving me crazy.Please anyone have an answer or sugestion,i'm tired of making mini frizbees

2. brobear

brobear Guest

[bold]Why in the world did you post this in the Audio section?[/bold]

First of all lets take some things out of the equation. There are several possibilities so we'll isolate the various programs.

The DVD43 needs to be put in the off position. Only let it run when necessary and never with another ripper going. They compete for same system resources.

No problem ripping with Decrypter. Although Shrink does the job itself and in this case using Decrypter just adds to the time. I use Decrypter a lot, just not with Shrink.

With Nero you have a packet writing program, InCD. If you installed it, go into ADD - Remove Software and delete it. Then reboot.

In DVD Shrink uncheck the choice to burn with Nero. Let the program burn to the HD. This way the only program running is DVD Shrink. If you get the transcoded file to HD then no problem with Shrink.

Use the Nero burning ROM to burn the prepared folder. If that works, go back and check the burn with Nero and use Shrink and Nero to burn together.

Then again, if you left the InCD in, that could have been your problem. BTW, some people have been experiencing problems with this month's Nero downloads. The separating program technique should indicate if you're having problems with Nero.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][bold]'brobear'[/bold]

[​IMG][/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2004
  3. bbamx68

bbamx68 Guest

Thanks for your reply,I checked and I dont see incd in add remove programs.I have no problem with dvdshrink putting files on my hard drive it all screws up with nero.I've tried to burn with nero from my hard drive but it keeps failing,last night in several attempts I actually burned on movie but then another movie got to about 80% and bam NGI've closed dvd43 so i'll try again,I have dvdxcopy express both ripper and rf.I tried dvdxcopy expressrf but that crashed too.and just so you know i'm using memorex 4x dvd's..again thanks its amazing how much help you can recieve from eveyone,it shows there are real good people out there

4. bbamx68

bbamx68 Guest

I just tried to use only nero but after I trnsfer files my burn button is still grayed out,

5. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

Why not try disabling the Nero burn option, save the ripped file to an ISO image, and burn that with DVDDecrypter.
    It works perfectly for me.

6. bbamx68

bbamx68 Guest

I've tried dvd decrypter and it get all the way to dvd has been decrypted but it doesnt do anything like burn,I cant even find the files after I decrypt them

7. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

What I meant was to use DVDDecrypter to burn the ISO image created in Shrink.
    To get DVDDecrypter to recognise this file, yiou will need to switch it into ISO mode from the "file" menu.
    When this is done, navigate to where you saved the image from Shrink, and all will be well.

PS - if you turn OFF the "burn with Nero" option in Shrink, and tell it to save as an ISO image, you can tick a box that will automatically open up DVDDecrypter in the right mode to burn the image.

8. brobear

brobear Guest

The Shrink and DVD Decrypter guides are located here at AD and Doom9.org, and DVDShrink.info. They explain the process of using Decrypter as a burner with Shrink. After checking the guides, if you have a specific problem we may be of help. ScubaPete has gone into great detail on some of the other threads about this process, so a search would be in order.

Trying to burn a set of files with Nero alone is a problem with the burning ROM (you read the files separately and only see them sometimes when you choose all files setting). Use Recode2 and import the files and see if that works. There doesn't seem to be problem with DVD Shrink. Let us know if the Recode2 works. BTW, the best way to use Recode2 is to rip with DVD Decrypter and import the file to Recode2. With Recode2, you don't need Shrink. Recording on the fly, you can use a program like AnyDVD and use Recode2. Recode2 can use the file created on the HD by Shrink to save time with this video.

Here is a bulletin on 321 software that is pertinent to other software. It would be a good idea to check out the bulletin before going farther with trying to solve the problem. Just click the link or paste in the browser. It would be a good idea to copy for future reference. http://cgi.tripod.com/321ripforum/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=321gen;action=display;num=1089105482
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][bold]'brobear'[/bold]

[​IMG][/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2004
  9. brobear

brobear Guest

Looks like Wilkes showed up with some timely info while I was out.

10. bbamx68

bbamx68 Guest

Well one thing I think was really messing me up is when I first started burning dvd's I bought dvd xcopy, then when they banned burning I installed the rf version,I was told it needed patin couffin and dvd43 to work, then Iwas told about dvdshrink.I always thought dvd shrink needed those other two programs to work.I took your advise and uninstalled both of those,I also went to download.com and redownloaded nero 6 ulta the reinstalled dvd shrink.I've burned several dvd's with a couple errors,the memorex 4x +r dvd's work great while the comp usa 4x dvd +r's seem to faulter.I was wrorried my norton internet sec/virus protection was the villian but I seem to be going ok now.i'm going to leave this thread open a couple days until i'm compfortable,I wasa never able to get dvd decrypter to work with dvd shrink or neroIt decrypted the dvd but thats where it ended.as long as shrink works I really dont need decrypterThank you so much brobear and wilkes.I hope someday i'll be able to help someone else with the knowledge you provided me,just need to learn more first

11. brobear

brobear Guest

Glad we got you going. As you learn you will figure out some of the procedures we may have missed. One thing about software, you can run into interference problems and if you read the bulletin, you know what I mean. I always turn of anti-virus when recording and any packet writing software.

Good luck and we'll be here to help.

BTW there is a 321 Rip patch that will eliminate the need for DVD43, gives RF the ripper back. The DVD43 free issue needs additional add ons from what I hear and the top line version is a trial which expires and you have to buy. I use the retail AnyDVD when I need it, which isn't often. Leave these programs off and only open as needed.

12. bbamx68

bbamx68 Guest

Hey what can I say,when you are right - you are right,I think what i'm going to do is as soon as I get my new memory and video card i'm going to reassemble my amd 2000 unit and just use it for burning dvd's,that way it won't be connected to the internet and cant pickup a virus.With this computer i'm connected to cable so its always able to pick up some kind of bug with norton disabled.I was going to get that unit up and sell it to recoup some of the money I spent on this intel 3000 barebones.Only reason I bough this intel is I couldnt beat the price.Anyway i'm always glad to hear good tips and hopfully I'll be able to return the favor to others.I have read many topics by scubapete but the one about dvd's I needed to reboot during it and just never found it again.

13. brobear

brobear Guest

If you posted or subscribed to the thread you mention it is recorded in your account info. BTW, hopefully you are using the XP operating system. Activate the firewall or get one like the Norton's personal firewall. I use Internet Security from Norton which is a suite. You set the firewall to block all traffic and then turn off the A/V. It's easier than throwing a switch. I'm on full time DSL so I know the situation. It sometimes makes a difference when recording. Especially with incoming mail and the PC sometimes wants to call out. Read the part about Spy and Adware in the bulletin. Here's a link to it here at AD. http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/93395

14. bbamx68

bbamx68 Guest

Yes i'm running xp home and I have norton int sec installed,I'll tell ya I was burning good before but everytime I try to burn a dvd+r shrink/nero crashes right as nero takes over,had a couple dvd-r's burn to 78 and 98% before being terminated.I just installed a memory freeing program because burning kills my memory ,I have a gig of pc2100,getting a gig of pc3200/400 on monday,maybe that will help.Well have good night,maybe hear from you tomarrow

15. brobear

brobear Guest

As I posted somewhere earlier, if you have the latest version of Nero, that may be the problem. Others who downloaded the version are experiencing problems.

16. brobear

brobear Guest

It may be a little extreme, but if nothing else seems to work, delete the whole Nero suite, reboot, run your cleanup utilities and registry tool, if you have one. Reboot. Now try burning from Shrink using DVD Decrypter with Nero off the system.

I keep the downloaded Nero setup files in dated folders, might be an idea in the future. If problems occurr, I can revert to a stable platform. They don't always get it right with the upgrades on the first try.

17. bbamx68

bbamx68 Guest

Thanks for the tips, do you recomend a specific registery checker that will make sure nero is completly gone,how does decrypter work with shrink if nero isnt installed???, if you dont mind..

18. woof811

woof811 Regular member

how to copy a dvd with dvd shrink and dvd decrypter as follows :-
    1, open shrink and select open disc ( shrink will now analyze your dvd )
    2, select backup , under target device select ISO disc image
    3, make sure the tick box is checked that says launch dvd decrypter to burn output image
    4, click ok
    your done dvd shrink will now recode your dvd and use dvd decrypters burn engine to burn the iso image

19. bbamx68

bbamx68 Guest

Thanks, I was burning ok last night but today I get into the nero part after writing leadin and it shifts to writing tracks it fails say (power calibration error-disk terminated)I uninstalled nero and shrink then restarted and used reg clean,I rebooted ,reinstalled both nero and then shrink and now I get this,I have been burning on my other computer since december 03 and I never had anything like this,makes me feel stupid

20. brobear

brobear Guest

bbamx68
    I would have left Nero off until I tried the Shrink/Decrypter burn. If you still have trouble, do as I suggested. Take off all Nero, reboot, clean, reboot and try the Shrink/Decrypter ISO burn. Nero is having a problem and the new update should be out soon. You may or may not be involved, it was stable until the last upgrade/download Ahead put on the website.