1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nerovision Express 2 Transcoding Problems

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by Hywel, Sep 1, 2004.

1. marcogilb

marcogilb Member

Ok I am going to sleep !!!

I tried to pass those file thru a "Type-1 to Type-2" DV converter and it told me that those are not "DV Type-1" files.

Good night.

2. jastewart

jastewart Member

You might as well all share my misery in the latest installment of this dismaying saga. Can I send Ahead a bill for testing their duff software?

I ran the cleaning tool, re-downloaded (just as well I have broadband) and re-installed all new packages.
    NVE now - for the first time - completes the analysis phase and goes back to the main NVE screen ok. BUT - I gave it an 900M "mpg" file to use with 30 mins of video (ref Windows media player and my knowledge of the programme) and NVE tells me that it is 10 hours long and takes up over 8G !!
    I then decided to edit the file using the NVE "edit movie" button. The editor screen came up, I selected the file in question, dragged it to the timeline and all I get is a static timer icon - with the app "not responding"

If it is of any interest, when NVE is "analysing media files" it races impressively up towards the 90% and then crawls the rest of the way - i.e. not 90% at all in time terms.

I repeated the test with a 500M file (approx 20mins of video) When teh analysis stops, this is reported as being 4h 59min long (!!!) and takes up 4.2G
    Again, go to edit, drag file to timeline, and it hangs yet again with no disc activity or anything

I tried AGAIN with a 60M file (2mins - reported as 40 mins) When editing, I noticed that the programme is already on the time line. It has a "tooltip" with the correct programme title, but is ony 5s long. When you press Play (green triangle) it "plays" for 5 seconds with a blank screen. This 5s segment can not be deleted ( I tried rt-cliek to Delete...) AGAIN dragging the file from the file panel (top rt) to the time line causes a hang

I'm getting very bored with this testing

We're clearly not there yet...

Is installation of the Nero media player essential? I didn't install it as I didn't like the way it seemed to take over all file associations (ok, maybe that was partly my fault, but I'm sure it defaulted to "I'll play all these from now on" - which I object to...

J Stewart

retail-support@nero.com wrote:

>Dear valued Mr Stewart,
    >
    >thank you for your email and your interest in our software.
    >
    >Important note: You can only start the GeneralCleanTool if you have Administration Rights on your PC!
    >(If you are not an Administrator an error message occurs)
    >
    >First make sure you have your Nero 5 or Nero 6 serial key to install Nero/Nero Express with. It should look like 15xx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx or 1Axx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx.
    >
    >The Serial key should be located on the inside of the Nero Jewel case, or on the back of the paper sleeve the Nero CD came in.
    >You can find your serial number by the following way:
    >Please open the registry by clicking on
    >'start' in Windows
    >then click 'run'
    >and please fill in "regedit" and confirm with "OK"
    >To open the registry key go to:
    >HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\ahead\Nero-Burning ROM\info
    >In this registry path is the following entry: 'serial'.
    >When you double click on it, you can see you serial number.
    >
    >Also all the Plug-ins will be removed with this tool. So please make sure you have saved any plug-ins you purchased separately, so you can re-install them afterwards.
    >
    >Then download the GeneralClean Tool to your Desktop from:
    >ftp://ftp9.nero.com/attach/General-CleanTool.zip
    >
    > Unzip the file with WinZip or WinRar and then double click on the EXE file to run it.
    >Select 'Clean All' option and then click on the 'Clean' button to uninstall all Nero products. Then reboot your system. It will clean the registry and remove all Nero entries.
    >
    >After that, download and install the latest Nero/NeroExpress version from our website at www.nero.com using your Nero serial key to unlock from Demo mode.
    >
    >For Nero 5.5 use this link:
    >http://www.nero.com/us/631933457317970.html
    >For Nero 6 use this link:
    >http://www.nero.com/us/nero-up.php
    >
    >InCD 3 or InCD 4 can be removed completely under Win 9x after a reboot.
    >
    >
    >The GeneralCleanTool recognizes if a program is still running and will request a shut down so it can remove files associated with a program after a reboot.
    >
    >Should you wish more information, please do not hesitate to contact us again.
    >
    >best regards
    >
    >Claudius Hoerth
    >Nero Support
    >
    >Ahead Software AG
    >Im Stoeckmaedle 18
    >76307 Karlsbad
    >Germany
    >Fax : ++49 (0)7248 911 888
    >http://www.nero.com
    >
    >________________________________________________
    >
    >SIPPS - Another highlight from Nero!
    >
    >Test SIPPS - reduce your phone bill!
    >
    >Download the free demo version at http://www.sippstar.com/en/download.php
    >______________________________
    >
    >
    >We highly value your opinion. Please click the link below to enter our Customer Satisfaction voting page:
    >X-Vote: http://crmqm.nero.com/CrmQm/Customer.php?f_sData=YT0xJm09NTYwMjg0JnU9NzImbD0y
    >

3. jastewart

jastewart Member

PS

>Dear valued Mr Stewart,
    >
    >thank you for your email and your interest in our software.
    >

That ought to read:
    >Cheap valued Mr Stewart,
    >thank you for your email and your waning interest...

4. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

Hi Marcogilb,

If TMPGEnc has trouble with the file as well, that's not a good sign. If you downloaded the file, it could have some corrupted bits, that would not affect playback.

If you like, you can send me an Email at techsupport4@nero.com and to arrange for the files to be sent to me directly. But I can not promise the issue can be resolved, but there are a number of programs to check the AVI file with.

Hi Jastewart,

I've tested NVE30114 with a 6gig AVI file and have not had any trouble with it. So we would need to know how the AVI file(s) were created?

Or are you just using MPEG files? In either case, how were they created? If I can find this out, I can then use the same utility to create some files so I can see what the problem is.

The Nero Media Player is not needed, and has nothing to do with the operation you are attempting.

Regards,

Craig

5. thealgy

thealgy Member

Hello,

I tried to burn a vcd from a slideshow containing 80 pictures, about 4 Mb each picture, no transitions, and it hangs on transcoding. I did a clean install of Win XP, downloaded and installed all available updates, after that installed the latest version of NVE. Also downloaded and exectued the clean utility from Nero, nothing found.
    The transcoding process crashes while Win XP complaining about to less virtuel memory. (Real 256 MB, virtual 1 Gb)
    At my other computer, Win ME, it crashes (most of the times) with an internal 1004 error, in the created logfile it complains about no more segments free (3), it uses almost all the available memory (512 MB).
    I converted all pics to approx. 1/10 of its originals size, it doesn't help.
    Each time NVE crashes during the transcoding process.
    No slideshows on VCD yet, anyone found a workarround?

Greetz, thealgy

6. Lawmanxxx

Lawmanxxx Guest

Hello all! I have been following this thread with much interest as I too have been experiencing many of the same problems with NVE. I have been using various Nero products for CD writing for 3 1/2 years problem-free and so when I finally bought a DVD burner, I updated to the latest versions and proceeded to make a shiny new coaster set that my wife wants to use in the living room. Following the many good pieces of advice from Craig and the other posters here I set about trying to resolve these problems. Many harsh words and a bunch of mini-frisbees later, I was ready to give up on NeroVision Express 3. I have about 30gb of T.V. episodes that I downloaded with a bit-torrent client that are all in .avi format and it seemed to be impossible to convert them to a format that I can then burn onto a DVD. I tried TMPGEnc but it politely informed me that it doesn't support avi conversion (something about an avi compressor?) I then tried Cucusoft's AVI to DVD Converter but it does not actually convert avi's to DVD! It converts them to an mpeg 2 that requires an additional program to decompress the audio segment and still another one to Author it! All this and I still haven't burnt a damn thing yet. If all this misery is what it takes to burn a simple avi to dvd, then forget it. How I wish there was a program that would do all of this in one step! Well, as you know, there is. This brings me back to NeroVision Express. Being the stubborn type, I resolved to make my favorite program work.
    I started over by uninstalling Nero and running both the registry and application cleanup utilities. Then a fresh install of the program as well as the K-lite codec Pack, Xvid codec, and ffdshow. I then ran a few of my avi files through G-Spot to confirm that I had the right codecs. All was well. I opened up NVE and loaded my files, made the menus and decided to burn to my hard drive. The transcoding went off without a hitch and I burned the resulting video_ts folder to dvd with no problem. This time. Go figure...
    It may be obvious to many of you more experienced users that I am a newbie, and as such, it's probably naive of me to say this, but: Considering the many different formats available in file types, the fiasco that is the DVD+/-/rom/vr media, and the millions of different and incomprehensible DVD programs out there, it's amazing that anyone can get anything done! I have spent over a hundred hours just searching for software that probably won't work.
    Thank you for letting me vent my spleen in your fine forum. I hope Craig and the Ahead staff can fix this good but flawed software soon.
    Lawmanxxx

7. photog

photog Member

I have encoded 3 DVD slideshows with 3-400 jpg images each, simple transitions and mp3 music. I also saved the images via the check-box on the opening screen. All three were encoded without incident. Memory usage as shown by taskmanager was 1.00GB5 max.
    In each case I burnt to IMAGE RECORDER before burning to disk (T/Y OEM) with Pioneer DVR-A08.
    Very happy so far ...

Ron McDermott

8. marcogilb

marcogilb Member

Hi Craig,

I used Cucusoft to convert my problematic avi files to mpg (avi to vcd) and it worked without any problem.

Then I used those mpg files in NVE and it worked.

So I guess there really is something in those avi that bugs NVE, but Cucusoft has no problem with it.

Thanks anyway for you help.

9. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

Hi Marcogilb,

I'm glad you were able to find a workaround. More than likely the AVI file had some header information Nero and TMPGEnc did not like or could not interpit. The main thing is that you did find a solution. :)

Regards,

Craig
    Ahead Software
    USA

10. photog

photog Member

Craig
    Is there any chance at all of a conversion utility for version 2 projects??
    Ron McDermott

11. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

Hi Ron,

Let me check with our Engineers. I'm going to Germany on the 15th, so I can have a deep discussion with them on this. But to try and get a quick response, I'll send an Email to see what they have to say.

Regards,

Craig

12. photog

photog Member

Thanks, Craig. Have a great trip.
    Ron

13. warr121

warr121 Guest

Hi guys, i am looking for a little help. I am new to burning dvd's and I am having loads of trouble. I bought myself a IoMagic 2x16x4x16 dual layer dvd burner, and I am using nero to burn. However, after I have finished burning, the dvd is jumpy in play back, on my PC and set top dvd player. I was reading the forums, and followed ScubaPete's instructions when dealing with Dusty107 on (Nov 14), but still no luck. The tools i am using are: IoMagic dvd 2x16x4x16 dual I did the up grades from Nero Nero6603.exe and NVE30114.exe. Also, i think that it may have something to do with the decoder, but not sure. anyways, I am at a loss, any help would be great, thx ppl.
    P.S. when i am burning to disc, i am trying to burn a AVI file that plays fine before i burn it.
    thx again

14. Lawmanxxx

Lawmanxxx Guest

Warr121: I have recently had the same problem with my avi's. While trouble shooting a transcoding problem I uninstalled the DIVX codec and installed XVID. This caused playback to shudder and hang a little bit, so I reinstalled DIVX and this went away. Others in this forum have said that they don't like this codec, for various reasons, but it solved the problem for me. You can download version 5.2.1 for free here: http://www.divx.com/divx/windows/

15. Talksalot

Talksalot Member

Craig,

First I'd like to thank you for taking interest in this problem. I've been banging my head on NeroExpress ever since purchasing a Sony DRX-710UL DL Burner which bundles Nero6 Ultra with their product line. Having used Nero for some time and having great respect for this software caused me to blame either the burner or WinXP for not being able to create Video DVD's. ISO archives were no problem at all though. Am having similar trouble as others on this forum with transcoding MPEG's that do not need it, and even tried shrinking first with Nero Recode to see if that would improve file compatiblity.

Admitedly, I'm a noob with video files, but nothing should be so rediculously hard to accomplish if a user is willing to learn and experiment. After turning these files every direction, I gave in and started Googling for answers. There are other forums which posted questions about this, but none with as much data gathered as this one, or someone connected with Ahead willing to address them.

I've subscribed to this thread in hope that you'll return with something to help us all... Godspeed!

So far software that helped most was mentioned on G4TV called DVDshrink [freeware] @ http://www.dvdshrink.org/what.html The other, 'DVD Decrypter' is next on that list. I was able to backup balance ball exercise videos to DVD, but haven't tried this on a game DVD like UT2000K [*coughNOCDcough*] or movies yet. The software is supposed to be as good if not better than DVD XCopy, which was removed from the market, but I'd like to use Nero's authoring software to customize my burns. If anyone has information on equally feature rich (working) authoring software in the meantime, I'd be interested.

16. warr121

warr121 Guest

Thanks for the Info Lawman. I was doing some more reading in the forum while waiting for a response, i have learned that there seems to be many conflicts with many software aps. So i removed a few including the one you mentioned, and low and behold, problem fixed. well for now anyways. =)
    Thank you again

BTW, you guys have a great thing here for people that are new to software conflicts, i thank you for your help.
    Scott

17. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

Hi Talksalot,

There are a number of issues that I wish to bring up while in Germany, and most of them are covered in this topic or elsewhere on this forum.

The issue with Re-Encoding MPEG-2 compliant files has been largely addressed in our latest NVE 3.0.1.14, as a number of users who reported this issue previously have found out. There are still one or two that I've been working with who still have issues in NVE 3.0.1.14 re-encoding MPEG-2 compliant files, and they are sending me the samples of the MPEG-2 files so our Engineers can look at them and determine why they still are being encoded.

If you find that your MPEG-2 compliant files are still being encoded by NVE 3.0.1.14, then I will need to know how the files are created so that we can obtain the program and resolve the issue. Or if you are willing, send me an Email at Techsupport4@nero.com so that we can arrange for you to send or upload some sample files so I can get our Engineers to look at it and hopefully resolve.

If you are running into other issues as well, please list them here with as much detail as possible, so I can go to Germany 'fully armed' as it were. :)

Thanks!

Best Regards,

Craig
    Ahead Software
    USA

18. capnply

capnply Guest

Craig, can you get Ahead to update the release notes so that we can see what is supposed to be fixed in NVE 3.0.1.14? By the way, I have had a sort of resolution of the lack of NVE 3 support for the Hauppauge PVR250/350, which boils down to:

They shouldn't ever have worked anyway, even in NVE2, as NVE can't handle the output of hardware video encoding cards

A bit of a shortcoming eh?

19. xeroid

xeroid Member

My story:

I recently installed XP w/SP2. I have used the PVR-250 to download several videos to my HD. I burned 6 of these MPEG files to DVD, no problem. Then I tried to burn an mpeg1 video and I get the error that started this thread. I have uninstalled the Hauppauge drivers and software and reinstalled it. I have uninstalled Nero6.6 and reinstalled it. I still can't get this program to do its job.

Prior to the XP install I was using 2000Pro. I have never had any problems burning DVDs with a variety of input file types (avi, mpeg1, mpeg2, etc.) If you guys at AHEAD are still following this thread I would appreciate some help here. This software was working fine, even with XP and the PVR-250. Now it is not. Perhaps it is time to switch to Roxio.

Xeroid

P4 3.0
    1GB OCZ Platinum 3200
    ASUS P4C800 Deluxe
    9800Pro
    Audigy 2 ZS
    Hauppauge PVR-250

20. xeroid

xeroid Member

Addendum:

I tried exporting a project as an mpeg file. The process went about 60% then gave me a message there was an error during the export process. Interestingly enough the exported file could still be played in Media Player 10. What gives here?