1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nerovision Express 2 Transcoding Problems

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by Hywel, Sep 1, 2004.

1. jdhannan

jdhannan Member

i uninstalled the entire nero suite and reinstalled just nerovision and its twice as far now as its ever gotten, it seems much better
    if this works, i'll try again to make chapters and tell u how it went

2. Talksalot

Talksalot Member

Craig,

I'm going to download the latest update to NVE3 and disable burn at once on my next attempt. Pretty sure I had that option checked. Also I suspect my problem with this has much to do with conversion software. Have been using TempEnc to convert .avi to .mpeg which I discovered was the cause of audio loss on recent conversions.

Are there any brands or titles of software you could recommend using to convert .avi to .mpeg which are known to be compatible with Nero? It's been like a needle in a haystack finding one.

3. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

If you are going to use the AVI file in NVE3 anyway, then I would simply keep the file in the AVI format. There is no need to convert the AVI file to MPEG format.

If you really want it to be in MPEG format, you could always use the NVE3's 'Export' feature from the Edit window to export to MPEG1, MPEG2, or MPEG4(NeroDigital).

P.S. In Nero Vision Express 3.0.1.27, the 'Burn-At-Once' option is now working properly, so you do not have to disable this if you prefer not too.

Regards,

Craig
    Nero Inc
    USA

4. Talksalot

Talksalot Member

Craig,

Thanks for telling me that. I was under the impression .avi files could not burn to DVD without conversion. Only advantage of converting to .mpeg seemed to be file size, but was concerned about quality. Wasn't sure how to use the export feature, never used during the course of my efforts and wasn't sure what it did. In my mind the word 'export' did not mean 'convert', but rather move something to another place. If I ever need it, nice to know it's there.

I would like to keep burn at once working, so that's good news too. :) Glad that was fixed... I'm determined to get these files burned, but hope to make a nice menu for them also. Keep thinking I'm getting closer to that goal and refuse to give up. The information you provide is a great help and I can't thank you enough for it.

5. jdhannan

jdhannan Member

i finally got a hard drive image of the dvd i was going to burn, it went thru it just fine.
    i went back and tried to create chapters, but that still causes nero to stop responding
    then i tried to make an entirely new dvd video, and every time i added a video more than a few megs in size, the whole thing stopped responding...
    considering the number of people who told me "Get Nero" when looking for dvd software, this is pretty frustrating

6. stephentx

stephentx Member

Craig,

Thanks for the information on Nerovision 3 update 3.0.1.27. I'm still experiencing the same "freeze" situation as before. About half way through the encoding process, Nero stops using CPU (0% used) and just sits there. I did not have burn at once activated. I have a Dell 4600 512MB RAM, 80GB hard drive, XP Home SP2, no other software loaded like InCD or another burining software package. I even booted in safe mode to try it, but no dice. I tried burning to Image, it freezes at exactly the same spot. Burning to folder, same thing. The files being burned are fine, reording them in the compilation allows me to encode them up to about 2/3 of the way, then stops. So, I've rulled out corrupt files. It's almost like there is some limit or max that is being reached that stops Nero from going forward. Truly frustrating.

7. photog

photog Member

stephentx
    How many files? JPG's? How much FREE memory? Music - MP3's? LAME not mp3pro? Animated menus/transitions?
    Last night I encoded 770 jpgs, used burnatonce, to nrg image in 2:10 with mp3 sound and assorted fairly ordinary transitions as well as checking the box to copy files as jpg' to dvd.
    Ron

8. jdhannan

jdhannan Member

Just to clarify the exact thing thats going on -
    I try to create a new DVD Video, go to Add Files
    I pick a video and add it, and it displays this little window that says the name and progress and stuff, but it disappears after 1/8 of a second and then the main window is totally frozen, it wont even gain the focus.

9. stephentx

stephentx Member

Photog,

I'm compiling music video clips, 26 files, totals 4.2G, (114 minutes)just short of the maximum capacity of single sided DVD, most clips 4 minutes each, using transition in Nerovision 3, picked them all myself, did not use the random feature. Looks like Nero is taking about 154Mb max RAM when it freezes. When this memory is added to my other programs, I still have a lot of extra capacity in memory, which totals 512Mb. I have, easily 300Mb of RAM unused. Nothing else is running but some windows processes. No other apps are open. Taking out the clip that occurs at the freeze, only results in nero freezing at about the same time point in the compilation. The task is reported at taking 1 hour 34 minutes, Nero freezes at about 1hour 7 minutes. I'm using the automatic settings in the video options, standard setting for video quality, have Smart Encode turned OFF, as it's not that smart...wants to reduce my project to 3M/sec bit rate when there is capacity on the disc available...compilation is 4.2G as mentioned above. Sample output "automatic". Sample encoding "one pass". Dolby Digital 2.0 output. Aspect ratio, "automatic". Since this was a saved project, in the previous version of Nerovision, I'm wondering if I should scrap it and start from scratch, although I'm pretty sure this shouldn't be an issue, as the saved project is just telling Nero what clips to compile and what transitions to use. I've been working on this project for weeks, and waiting now, over a month to burn it to DVD. Ugh!

10. photog

photog Member

stephentx
    Know how you feel. For months I have waited for each new version to solve my locking up problem but ...
    Your problem appears to be the same I have with jpg files. My RAM usage was and still is much greater than yours. I have 1GB of RAM Swap file min 1500 MB max 4.5. NVE3.0.1.27 uses about 850 MB. Microsoft recommend 3 times the amount of physical RAM for swapfile size.
    I had the same experience with 3.0.1.18 - encoding stopped at (would you believe 775 JPGs and deleting the file which stopped had the same result. it still froze after the same number of files.
    If your audio is MP3Pro (variable bit rate that may be causing problems.
    Dont give up.
    Ron

11. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

Hi Stephentx,

We did come out with NVE30127 to address issues we had with projects creating in previous versions of NVE. To be honest, the best way to debug this is to break this project down into segments to see where the problem first occurs. But this will entail some work, and you should write to the Hard Drive as Video_TS folder to avoid potentially wasting media.

I would first add the 26 files, without any audio or Transitions. IF that works, then add the transitions, and then finally add the Audio if that works.

Once we know if the issue occurs with the Files, Transitions, or Audio files, we can then tackle debuging that aspect.

For Example: If you find when adding audio files you have problems, we need to see if it's any specific audio file, or if a certain number of audio files cause this. To do this, you would add your 26 files, add your transitions, and then add only 1 to 3 audio files at a time to try and isloate the specific audio file that causes this issue, or the number of audio files needed to cause this issue in our software.

If you find Transistions cause this, then start with adding just the 26 files, and then add 5 transitions at a time till we see how many transitions it takes for this to occur, or maybe a specific transition that causes it.

Sorry, I know this is a lot of work, but it's really the only way to get to the bottom of such issues.

Hi JDhannan,

In one statement you are indicating issues with creating chapters causing NVE3 to freeze, and then in another you indicate just adding content of a few MB's to a DVD-Video project causes NVE3 to freeze.

I have a few questions in this regard.

1) Do you have the latest NVE30127?
    2) When you say a few MB's, just how much is a few?
    3) And what type of Video files are these? Does it occur with AVI files, MPEG-1 files, MPEG-2 files, VOB files?
    4) How are these Video files created?
    5)Do you have a Digital Camcorder? IF you do, do you find that if you capture some content to AVI format or MPEG-2 format, and try and use in NVE that you have the same problems of adding the content or creating chapters causing NVE3 to freeze?

Hi PhotoG,

Not sure, but are you stating in your postings that you are succesul in your burns now with NVE3, or that you still have troubles? :)
    Sorry, but it can be read both ways, as your response is not very clear. If I am reading it correctly, your last attempt with 770JPGs with transitions was a succes when writing to the hard Drive as an NRG image file. But you fail to say if you are able to burn the image file to DVD and play in a DVD Player or Nero ShowTime.

Regards

Craig
    Nero Inc
    USA

12. photog

photog Member

Craig
    Sorry, to mislead you. i was reporting success. V. happy so far. Your patience has not been unappreciated!
    Am I correct in believing that NVE has a problem with MP3pro audio files encoded with MeroMix, by the way?
    Many thanks,
    Ron

13. photog

photog Member

Craig
    Forgot to add that I ALWAYS burn to an NRG image. Revently I have been selecting BurnAtOnce (since .27). Nero has NEVER failed to burn an image to disk!
    Taio Yuden / TDK / Ritek printables (Even Shintaro!)
    Ron

14. stephentx

stephentx Member

Craig,

I started the process that you describe, except Nero isn't consistent when it fails. I was lucky enough to get an error log notification, and have cut and pasted the error message here:

[17:20:09] DVDEngine ########################################################################################
    [17:20:09] DVDEngine ERROR
    [17:20:09] DVDEngine cause: 128 (nmc_processing_exception)
    [17:20:09] DVDEngine source: CDVDProcessor::processSector
    [17:20:09] DVDEngine description: buffer overflow
    [17:20:09] DVDEngine #############################################
    ###########################################

In another attempt, I got this error message:

[14:44:29] DVDEngine ########################################################################################
    [14:44:29] DVDEngine ERROR
    [14:44:29] DVDEngine cause: 25 (dvdvideo_spec_violation)
    [14:44:29] DVDEngine source: VOBU_S_PTM is 413859332, but shall be equal to VOBU_E_PTM (3840031386) of preceeding VOBU.
    [14:44:29] DVDEngine description: _DVDProcessor::VerifyDesc()
    [14:44:29] DVDEngine ########################################################################################

I'm taking VOB files, and placing transition sequences between them. When the failure occurs, it does occur right before a transition is to take place. Only once have I seen it occur at the start of a new clip after the transition has occured. Maybe you can decipher the error message?

The error "shall be equal to VOBU" happens to any clip that is placed within the last 30 minutes of the compilation. It's not clip specific, I've tested this several times. So, at this point, I'm stumped and going to use another program to try to create my DVD. Any help here is sure appreciated.

Stephen

15. xeroid

xeroid Member

I have been following this thread as some time ago I had very similar issues to what many here have been experiencing. I was running Win2KPro with Nero 6.6.0.3 and NVE3. Everything was cruising along smoothly. I upgraded the OS to WinXP + SP2 and everything fell apart. Using 2KPro I was burning every type of video file (AVI, VOB, WMV, MPEG1 etc.) without a hitch. After the upgrade I couldn't complete a video burn to save my life. I even would get bad audio burns (read coasters) on occasion. After reading this thread I decided to try Nero 6.3.1.10 with NVE3. Since I made this change I have burned at least 100 DVDs, SVCDs and VCDs and another 300 or so CDs. My video disks are from several video type files and jpg compilation disks. I have not had one coaster. So perhaps it isn't NVE3 that is the driver here but something with the Nero 6.6.0.3 and later versions and the interaction with WinXP + SP2.

Last but not least, if you are doing any sort of tinkering (read overclocking) with your system you are asking for trouble, unless everything is playing nice with each other. You must also keep in mind that if you have even a small issue with your mobo's voltages this will upset the way data travels throughout your system. Someone mentioned that they would try to import a video file into NVE3 and it would only show up for a moment while NVE3 was analyzing the file and then stop of lock up. This sounds an awful lot like the memory timings are not set right in the BIOS or the voltages to the memory sticks is fluctuating. My mem timings are not aggressive and my voltages are rock solid to all buses on the mobo. I even perfom other tasks while burning and I have complete and flawless burns. I am not bragging, just trying to shed some light on the problem and offer some potential solutions until Nero can figure out what is going on here.

Jay

16. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

Hi PhotoG(Ron),

We did have an issue with MP3Lame audio files, but that was resolved.

However, we still have some issues with MP3 files created with VBR. The timing is off and the end result is a video that is out of Sync with the audio or you have small 'crackling' noises. This appears to be a filter issue as it shows up in Nero ShowTime as well during playback. We are working on this issue now.

Hi Stephentx,

Could you send me the Full NVE log file at techsupport@nero.com so that I can send this to our Engineers to look over? This would help a lot. If you could also provide the details as to what steps you are doing, what video you are adding, etc. Basicly what you have entered into this thread. If you like, just send me your log file with this threads link, and I can have the Engineers pull that data off the forum directly, or I will. :)

Regards,

Craig
    Nero Inc
    USA

17. a.steele

a.steele Member

...good advice!

Some other good advice, IMHO, is to use TMPGEnc DVD Author!
    I use TMPGENC to extract video segments from a MPEG-2 file, and create individual MPEG-2 files.

I then use TMPGEnc DVD Author to compile a DVD, with menu etc - works great - which then exports to a directory. I overfill the DVD by approx 20%.

I then use DVD Shrink to examine the directory I have created, and it then compresses and creates an ISO image.

I then use Nero to burn the ISO to a DVD.

This process works superbly. Very fast. Rock solid.

However, I still very much want Nero to be able to do all this reliably too!

18. stephentx

stephentx Member

Craig,

5 logs have been sent to techsupport. Thanks.

Stephen

19. dtwynn

dtwynn Guest

Running XP Pro with 1 gig RAM, I've been able to create video DVDs using avi & mpeg video files as follows:
    1. Use Nero Cleantool to remove all relevant registry entries.
    2. Defrag your working drive (usually C:\)
    3. Reinstall the latest Nero package including
    NVE 3.0.1.27
    4. Install FFdshow 20041012 codec package
    5. Install Xvid-1.0.3.exe
    6. If in doubt, save to HD first then burn later.

20. dtwynn

dtwynn Guest

Furthermore - it seems that NVE,when it crashes, does not do so "gracefully", ie there is no screen message to indicate what has gone wrong; it just falls over.
    I have found that if a particular codec is required during transcoding and that codec is not found, then NVE just stops - sometimes freezes, sometimes reboots, sometimes reverts to a cryptic failure message.

There are utilities available to display all installed codecs and to display which codecs are needed for particular video & audio files.