1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nerovision Express 2 Transcoding Problems

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by Hywel, Sep 1, 2004.

1. DariusJ

DariusJ Member

Thanks Creaky.

I know you keep saying my logs are incomplete but the last line of the log is the last thing NVE records before the 'puter hangs or reboots...go figure?!?!?

Regards
    Darius

2. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

i know...it's a puzzler.. i take it no other program causes reboots ?, i'm just wondering if it's something daft like overheating..

3. DariusJ

DariusJ Member

Creaky,

Ive tried flogging the computer with other tasks and never had any problems. Its a 3.06 P4 with Hyperthreading, 1 Gb of memory, heaps of hard drive space, a gigabyte 8SQ800 Ultra m/board and a Nvidia Geforce4 Ti4200 (8x agp).

All drivers are up to date as is bios and any other firmware I can find. Machine plays video files, DVDs, games such as half life and the more mundane such as MS Office all day with only a rare problem. Thats what's so frustrating. Heat problems or memory problems would be my 1st stop if the crashes/hangs occured any where else.

I have seriously been eying off a the new Gigabyte Pentium D / Nforce 4 chipset motherboard and thinking that that may be the only way around the problem!

Regards
    Darius

PS: If its a clue - I havent loaded any other video related software since the clean re-install of windows but the issue seemed to affect any software I loaded that transcoded avi's to dvds (eg AVI2DVD, Power Director). All of these were loaded after the inital problem as part of my vain attempts to get around the hassle.

4. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

Hi Darius,

I've got to say I'm completely baffled. The Log file is not any help as it's not reporting any error message before it dies. I've never seen this exact situation before.

Did I read correctly, that you tested other DVD Authoring software and ran into the same issue?

Do you have anything unique about your system that you can think of? Anything at all? From what specs you have provided, I can not see any problems.

Do you have a friend with a computer who might be willing to download a demo version of our NeroVIsion software and see if he can encode those files on his system? At least this way we'll know if it's a system issue or the source file. And I'm very strongly leaning towards a system issue, but I have no idea what or how at this point.

Regards,

Craig
    Nero Inc
    USA

5. DariusJ

DariusJ Member

Craig,

I just love mystifying the experts!

Yes, other software has had the same problems. Prior to re-installing Xp I tried other DVD software, ranging from shareware to professional packages and all had the problem. They were installed after Nero so I wasnt sure if it was a system problem or something nasty done by Nero (no offence).

I have recently installed NVE and a DVD drive on one of the computers at my company (Used Nero Burning Rom for ages) and was trying to get time to try your proposal.

I was also thinking about doing another complete reinstall of windows and trying one of the other packages without Nero being on the system (again no offence intended!).

My system strikes me as perfectly normal. The only things I didnt mention (and I cant see them being an issue) are it is connected to an ethernet network with no other computers on it, a Billion ADSL router/hub/modem and a Brother Multifunction centre. Wirless mouse and Keyboard. There is a raid array set up in the machine but I tried avoiding that early on (not using the Raided drive for any transcodeing work).

Cant think of any system issue myself. Usually I'd blame memory but that should show up elsewhere. Ditto for the CPU. Only thing I thought of changing was to drop in another video card and see what happened (a few people in some discussions here and elsewhere seemed to blame video cards for problems).

Regards
    Darius

6. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

Video Cards can cause problems, and if I remeber right one of our Engineers found a problem with a card, but that was just a GeForce card and it only affect playback with Nero ShowTime.

To be honest, if I were in your shoes, I would at this point uninstall Nero and try another software. Just so that I can be sure to either rule out Nero or be able to point a strong finger at Nero.

I've recommended competitors software in the past when I've found our software does not work for something, or does poorly at something that others do better at. When I'm on the forums, I'm here to help resolve the issue, not push the Nero software.
    But I've not had to do this too much in the past few years as our Nero software has become quite solid since Nero 6 first was released.

Still, I think this needs to be your next step. We need to know for sure if this is a Nero issue, or something unique with your system.

Regards,

Craig
    Nero Inc
    USA

7. DariusJ

DariusJ Member

Craig,

I have copied one of the AVI's to a machine in my office (the 2.2gb one) and lo and behold it transcoded beautifully to a DVD. I used the highest quality setting and 2 pass encoding and no problem.

Interesting thing. It also transcoded much faster. The machine I used is a P4 2.8 with 1 gig of ram on an Gigabyte 8KNXP motherboard. It is also using a Ti4200 8 x AGP card althouth using older MSI drivers not Nvidia. (This may be something as I think that the card in this machine and the other machine are the same one - but with different version firmwares)

By the basic specs of the machines the work machine should have been slower.

I am going to be in China for a week but on my return I shall try out deleting nero and replacing it with something else. I shall also check out the MSI drivers for the video card (and any possible firmeware update). Then again I might just replace the damn thing altogether.

Regards
    Darius

PS If you ever get to Adelaide in South Australia I owe you a beer!

8. whoombat

whoombat Member

is it possible that using 1 pass instead of 2 pass would increase/decrease the chances of my conversions to work successfuly?

9. DariusJ

DariusJ Member

Whoombat,

1 or 2 pass and / or any different quality setting didnt solve any problems for me!

Darius

10. creaky

@fdr -

- i'd say there's your problem

plsu did you mean to install 'InCD' ??

11. fdr

fdr Member

Hi Creaky and thanks for looking at the error log. However, what does the error message mean and what can I do about it? For the 3 preceeding DVD projects I had no problem at all and NVE worked just fine even with INCD installed. Anyway, let me know what you think!
    :)

12. creaky

@fdr -

- a few google searches didn't pick up a single hit, but to me that's doing a comparison that isn't matching up..... maybe Craig from Nero will have a look at that one...

as to InCD, if you're ok with it, fine, it's just one of those things that crops up a lot and is always worth ruling out. i myself have no need for packet writing software such as InCD..

13. photog

photog Member

creaky said: "i myself have no need for packet writing software such as InCD.."
    I concur!
    Ron McDermott

14. mintech

mintech Member

Hi there Craig,

First sorry for my english, not so good at that.. :)

I do have a problem with one of my avi file that i split up. I split up into 4 parts so that i can fix it in a 700MB Cd-R.Each file is around 360-370MB, then burn it using NVE3 V3.1.0.14 and Nero Express 6 V6.6.0.15 . In NVE3 i burn it to make a VCD , i choose the file, do not create menus and burn it. While transcoding it just stop and nothing happened , the elapsed meter on the progress bar is counting but the preview window just stop there. I try to abort but i would not let me, so i use task manager to end process. The same error at the same frame happen on the second time i try.I also let the the same file and the same setting to run for 24 hour, and the same thing happen, but my pc do not freeze.

For Nero express, i choose the same file and disable the menus. It encode till 100% then it just stop there, click abort and it let me abort then save the log file. For NVE3 i can't save cause i have to shut it off using task manager.

I do try other avi file, i mean in 4 files that i split i can only use 2.Same happen with other avi file that i split, in 4 files i can only use 3, the other one will have the same error happened. STOP AT TRANSCODING.

I also try to clean boot, disable everything on startup, defrag uninstall and install back NVE and Nero Express but the same thing happen, STUCK AT TRANSCODING

This is my PC Spec :

P4 2.8GHz
    1024GB Ram
    3 120GB Maxtor HDD
    1 200GB Sata Maxtor HDD
    Sony CD-RW CRX215E1
    Asus 9250
    SoundMax Integrated Audio
    Windows XP Pro with SP2
    and all driver is updated.

For splitting the file i use Easy Video Splitter V2.01

Regards

Min

15. mrcreativ

mrcreativ Member

I was loosing my mind with NVE 3. Everytime i tried to put more than one .avi file on a dvd, i got this error msg in the log:

[15:56:55] DVDEngine ########################################################################################
    [15:56:55] DVDEngine ERROR
    [15:56:55] DVDEngine cause: 128 (nmc_processing_exception)
    [15:56:55] DVDEngine source: DEGuardNMCConversion
    [15:56:55] DVDEngine description: SEH EXCEPTION caught during INeroMediaConverter::DoConversion().
    [15:56:55] DVDEngine ########################################################################################

No matter what I did, if there was more than one video, transcoding always failed towards the end.

I read in this same post somewhere that installing the codecs from FFDSHOW would change the DIVX or something like that and solve the problem.
    Thats what I did and made my first DVD Video.

Hope this helps.

16. creaky

@mrcreativ - good idea, that's my usual trick (to crossreference bits to similar posts), nice one, hope it helps some others on this thread

17. geocurt

geocurt Member

Forgive me if this is redundant, I've done my best to read the entire thread and I never found a definative solution to my issue, which is the VisionExpress3 application hanging during the transcoding process.

The movie is about 800MB in size, it's .avi format, and I bought this Lite On burner specifically to transfer old videos like this one to dvd for my wife to watch on tv.

Now, I consider myself fairly computer literate, but I really don't understand the world of video production. I got this burner with this software because I wanted a wizard driven application that would make most of the decisions for me.

Problem is, in 6 attempts to burn this file to dvd, I have frozen the application during the transcoding process each time.

My wife's computer:
    Windows XP SP2 (run windows update every two weeks)
    Integrated Intel Extreme 3d graphics
    768MG 2100 DDR
    20GB available on HDD

I try to run the job with all processes turned off.

Can someone please summarize for me how I can make this application work WITHOUT using multiple other applications and becoming a 'codec expert?'

I'll also mention that I know we have Divx installed on the machine and don't understand anything else about what codecs we have/need. How do I 'decide' what codec I want Nero to use? I thought you just choose the DVD radio button and the application handles it - silly me...

I will appreciate any help.

18. mrcreativ

mrcreativ Member

I don't know what to tell you.
    However, U could post your log and one of the experts here might be able to help u out.

And what exactly do u mean by 'hanging'?

19. geocurt

geocurt Member

I'm afraid I'll need help to find that log.

What I mean by hanging:
    The time continues to tick off on the overall progress bar, but the process does not do anything. The preview window stays on the same frame. The buttons are active, and most work (but not abort). I must manually close the application with Task Manager-->End Task.

I should add that I've tried running the application both active and minimized.