1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nerovision Express 2 Transcoding Problems

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by Hywel, Sep 1, 2004.

1. bull3964

bull3964 Member

bamtino24, your exprience lends further evidence to my theory that the problem lies in how Nerovision interacts with either the hardware or the kernel of the system. In my experience, changing the version of kmixer.sys helped but didn't eliminate the problems (a driver that I do not think would be loaded in safe mode). Also, all types of video accleration would be disabled in safe mode as well.

2. ddv

ddv Member

I have a project with imported movies, music, a slideshow, and animated top menu. I had the "requested shutdown" problem as well as the program hanging in the middle of transcoding when I tried the following:

- burn to disk
    - raise priority to High
    - turn off "stop blank thumbnails"

Once I did this I was able to save the DVD image to disk then burn it on a DVD using Nero. I'll try again tonight as I need to make adjustments but this is certainly progress!

3. bbblues71

bbblues71 Member

I just wanted to let you know that I have been testing tons of files with Nerovision Express 3, and I think that one major incompatibility problem that people are having deals with Nerovision not entirely working properly with Divx version 5.2.1. It mainly happens when playing files coded in the older, Divx 3 or 4 methods. Although 5.2.1 is supposedly capable of decoding all of these, and it does when playing through standalone players such as WMP, etc., when trying to decode these files through Nerovision 2 or 3 things usually either stick or one gets audio and no video, no audio and video, or things become out of sync if they actually decide to transcode completely, which is rare.
    In order to counteract the problem I installed Ffdshow and, according to Divx's own instructions, disabled the support for its Divx 5 file format because, supposedly, ffdshow has problems with that one. By disabling it in ffdshow the Divx codec will play Divx 5 files. Actually, since I have never had problems with Nerovision and Divx 5 coded files, having the Divx 5.2.1 codec transcode those Divx 5 files in Nerovision was never a problem anyway. It's just the Divx 3 or 4 files that were the issue.
    Now then, now that I did that I have been able to to transcode just about all files coded with Divx 3 or 4 and Xvid files through ffdshow, and the Divx 5 files transcode through the Divx codec. One problem exists, though. I'm having a heck of a time trying to figure out what "features" (And there's plenty!) within ffdshow I should turn on (Via post-procssing, etc.) in order to equal the "quality" of the automatic pre-processing selections that are automatically turned on in the original Divx codec. Many Divx 3 or 4 files coded through ffdshow and used with Nerovision appear extremely blocky and have a lot of "artifacts" in them.
    Without using Nerovision and just playing things through WMP I had switched playing Divx 3 and 4 files back and forth between ffdshow filter and then with the original Divx codec for testing purposes and the quality of files being played back with the original Divx codec is far superior than being played with ffdshow. However, as I mentioned before, the original Divx codec has serious issues with Nerovision.
    Anyway, I just wanted to pass this info. along. I'm anxiously awaiting the day when Nerovision 3 works with all Divx files. Any projected dates on any fixes?

Brent

4. ddv

ddv Member

I wanted to report on my experience, but also ask a question.

I've been able to "burn" multiple DVD images to my hard drive using the procedure I described earlier. No problems and no reductions in features (I have animated menus).

Now - the last poster brings up the issues of transcoders. Ugh. I don't really want to worry about setting up these various transcoders - I just want it all to work (to quote my mother :) ). Does Nero provide "good" decoders in general? Would I get better image quality by obtaining a different set of decoder/transcoders? How does one decide? It would seem that once you have a decent decoder you just leave it.

Opinions? Thanks.

5. bull3964

bull3964 Member

bbblues71,

I actually haven't tried to use any divx files. Everything I've been working with has been xvid or MPEG 2.

6. bamtino24

bamtino24 Member

Hello all,

Just wanted to update you guys on my progress with transcoding. If you recall, I tried to transcode and burn to DVD in SAFE mode. Well, I managed to burn 3 movies with a single problem in safe mode.

1 .avi file and a couple of .mpg files. I also created menus, with animated buttons, everything works beautiful and the process takes around 4 hours.

My computer is 1.1 AMD Athlon with 256 RAM, so I am sure it would be faster on some of the newer models.

In regards to hanging while transcoding in normal windows mode. My computer hangs 20 mins into the process, but lately I noticed my computer hangs when I don't even use NERO, what's up with that? :(

Anyways, SAFE mode for now works for me.

Yuri

7. jastewart

jastewart Member

In 11 days no-one has replied to my query about NVE3.0.1.4 crashing during "analyzing media files...". I spent hours/days setting up other TV/recording s/w (DTVRecord et al) and simply can't afford to un-install all that just to see if NVE works. I thought the new trend was to create self-contained apps which don't have all these crazy interdependencies (e.g. uninstall one app, break many)? Why can't Nero install and use their own codec or whatever and have done with it?
    So far I have not been able to burn a single DVD and I have asked Ahead for my money back. If they pay me I will help to debug their software; otherwise, life's too short to mess about with this nonsense.

8. tobyen

tobyen Member

First, I'd like to thank you all for your clues and insights into precisely the types problems I had been having with NeroVision Express 2.1.2.18.
    The application was hanging following each screen transition, and did not write to the error log! I was able to progress to the final screen only by saving the project step by step, and when I reopened the project file, I was able to progress to the next step.

I was dead in the water at the write screen, where NVE would begin the transcoding and never progress. The timer would count, but that was it.

Thanks to all of you, I had some ideas to try in my troubleshooting.

First I tried running in Safe Mode -- same result.

Tried the 3.0.1.4 upgrade -- same result.

Tried uninstalling, cleaning and reinstalling, and then I remembered a comment someone made about DIVX 5.21, so I uninstalled that, and installed FFDSHOW -- BINGO! NVE is working again.

So thank you all, and hopefully this will be helpful to Ahead.

Tobyen
    Windows XP SP2
    Athlon XP2200+
    512 MB RAM
    80 GB HDD
    ATI AIW 128 Pro

9. dtwynn

dtwynn Guest

I'm using Nero Vision Express with mixed results. The program often disappears from the screen after transcoding for a period up to half an hour or so. On occasions it will cause the computer to reboot.

Some remedies for this behaviour have been suggested by forum members:
    1. Remove Roxio and Intervideo applications
    2. Uninstall FFDShow
    3. Uninstall DivX codecs, etc.etc.

Can someone please advise whether the codecs contained in Nero Reloaded v6.6 (with NVE updated to v3014)are all that are needed OR are additional/different codecs required. It would be useful to most of us if there is a "guru" out there who has a definitive answer as to why NVE repeatedly crashes.

I haven't seen recent input by Craig Campbell for a while. I wonder can he provide additional advice at this stage? It's worth noting that the errorlog textfiles created each time NVE "falls over" do not appear to provide any sort of clue.

Thanks all.

10. jastewart

jastewart Member

If anyone from Ahead is listening, I have had not a single reply from them over 2 weeks to 2 support e-mails and one to sales. The last one asked for my money back as I havd paid for software which has never worked once (viz NVE3) nor burned a single DVD. I would never get away with such an appalling attitude to my clients so why should they?

11. Hywel

Hywel Member

jastewart,

You're right, the attitude of Ahead to its support of its clients is nothing short of appalling. I had absolutely no help from them at all. After weeks of useless replies it only wound me up more. The only help I had was from Craig on this site. Says it all really.

12. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Not to defend poor support, but when a free trial is offered (it's the only software I will even consider) it is then that you should decide if it meets your needs, before you shell out your money.

13. Hywel

Hywel Member

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

However, when you go out and buy wood glue, then you expect it to glue wood together. The same applies to any product that states or claims it does something.

14. jastewart

jastewart Member

In my case, I was a user (and fan) of Nero "Burning ROM" and decided to update and buy a bundled Nero package. My complaint is that part of it is useless and the update has been pointless so far. If you like, I bought the new model but the features which made it new and attractive don't work. Ahead have no excuse, other than overwork, I'd imagine, for not even replying.

15. bbblues71

bbblues71 Member

I've done more testing, and I truly think that a lot of the problems people are having first have to do with the fact that "way" too many codec's and filters are installed in their system to start. To be honest, thus far all I've needed are the following. Divx and ffdshow. Technically, you don't "have to" have Divx installed if you use ffdshow. However, as I've found Divx seems to have better quality video over ffdshow, here's what I do. 1. I "try" to transcode/burn files using the Divx codec first. Since both this and ffdshow are installed, I have to go to ffdshow's configuration page and unselect all the Divx modes (Except for Divx 5, which ffdshow has problems with anyway so the Divx codec should always handle that one). Then I try to transcode. If it works, great! If not and it freezes, then I do the following. Go back into the ffdshow configuration program, select the Divx format files that I had previously unselected, and then re-transcode. Thus far, I haven't had one problem with anything getting stuck with ffdshow, so if the regular Divx codec, which does have a bit better quality, doesn't work, then ffdshow usually transcodes files without a hitch.
    One thing I'm looking into, however, is audio. Right now, no matter what the case, I have the ffdshow decoding the mp3 audio portions of the files I decode. But since I also have the option of deselecting ffdshow as being the audio decoder, I was wondering if you've had good experiences with other audio decoders, such as Lamemp3 (Or whatever it's called) or the Fraunhofer IIs Mpeg-layer 3 codec. I just don't want something that's going to take so much processing power that it'll potentially cause things to be out of sync with the video. So far I've been "somewhat" happy with ffdshow's audio decoding capabilities, but I think the quality could be a tiny bit better.

Brent

16. capnply

capnply Guest

Here's another (unfortunate) confirmation of problems with NVE and Ahead's inadequate support. I can also confirm that selecting animated menu items causes the DVD burn process to hang. During the hang period there is no DVD drive activity and the system CPU usage is about 2% (IE idle task 98%).

I have also reported that the latest NVE version no longer recognises the existence of my Hauppauge PVR350 capture card. Reverting to the previous level allows it to be recognised. So far (sound familiar?) the only response from Ahead is to ask for the infotool.txt file which I had already sent. On a previous support request for a similar problem the eventual outcome was "wait for the next release".

There are numerous other bugs, sub-optimal "features" etc in NVE 3.0.1.4 that it is obviously beta software. I would be happier if Ahead had a credible method for gathering and responding to problem reports (like running their own forums as suggested elsewhere here), but I just can't be bothered with reporting everything via their support page only to be given the run-around.

I use the Womble Mpeg Video Wizard for editing compressed video, and I regard it as an outstanding piece of software - both for its user interface and the fact that it NEVER transcodes unless it needs to. So why do NVE (and other DVD authoring and editing tools) insist on transcoding video that is already in a DVD compatible format? It seems to me that many of these boring problems with the length of time taken to transcode could be avoided if it was done only when actually required.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2004
  17. photog

photog Member

When can we expect the release of an other version of NVE? Craig?

Ron McDermott

18. jonobrien

jonobrien Member

I have been watching this thread without contributing as I have the same problems but haven't had any additional insights to help, but I now am burning trouble-free. Here is a summary of my process:

I have had the problem that partway into transcoding avis would give the
    "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library Runtime Error!"
    error.

Firstly, I have never used animated menus or buttons, so I have never ever had a problem with v2. However, in case it was related, I tried making no backgrounds at all, no button frames, etc, but I still get the runtime error.
    I think it is terrific how in v3 it burns to the DVD while transcoding, it saves so much time. But with the Runtime errors I was getting so many coasters. So I started just burning images, (and hoping I could create an image and then burn it) but it still crashed on the transcode, so at least I knew the problem wasn't in the burning.

I also tried minimising to taskbar and tried safe mode but neither helped.
    It also wouldn't matter if I did 1-pass or 2-pass VBR.
    I could get certain avis to transcode no problems, and other avis would always give the error at the same frame every time.

Until I found the solution I uninstalled v3 and put v2 back on and it transcodes every single avi fine. Albeit it does it slower and you don't have the option to "show button text only" which is really neat.

I figured there must be a certain "code" or even an actual error in the encoding of the avis, and the way NVE2 handles it is fine - whether it transcodes that certain bit OK, or whether it "ignores errors" - it does the trick. With that in mind I've been reading the posts about DivX5 and FFDshow. I do not know much about codecs, I don't know how to see what codecs my avis use. I just had installed the K-Lite Pack which seems to have all codecs I need. And until NVE3 it has suited me to the teeth.

I re-installed NVE3.

I tried uninstalling the K-Lite Pack, (I have never installed FFDshow or anything else on this PC) and I was surprised I could still play my avis!?! I tried doing a NVE3 transcode and it failed with Runtime error again. I do not know what codec it was using to transcode as I thought I didn't have anything else installed.

Anyway, I went ahead and installed the latest version of FFDshow, did a transcode to HDD image, and it WORKED!

I have burnt several DVDs straight to disc (skipping the image) and with FFDshow have not had a single issue.

Note, I do not know if I needed to uninstall K-Lite pack or not, as I said, I don't know much about codecs, but if it works, that's all I care about. I guess FFDshow or something else must also do the audio codecs, but I am vaguely curious as to what was processing my avis after I uninstalled K-Lite codec pack and before I installed FFDshow.

I don't know what's Divx 5 or otherwise, so I won't be bothering with switching around, or "trying" with DivX and then using FFDshow if it fails as it takes hours to transcode a full DVD, so for the sake of a "little bit of quality" I'll just use what works.

19. bamtino24

bamtino24 Member

Hello all, again!

I am the guy that was able to burn 2 cds in safe mode. Well, eventually safe mode started freezing on me as well during transcoding, about 30 minutes into it.

After that I upgraded my page file to like 4 gigs, upgraded my ram to 512 from 256. It still wouldn't improve, so then I uninstalled all software related to burning including k-lite codec, ffdshow, tmpgenc, and others...then reinstalled Nero and still no progress.

Also, to answer to previous post, I believe when you uninstall k-lite codec pack, it leaves some codecs on your computer, because I was able to play all the media, which usually works with k-lite only.

Anyways, I have repartioned, reinstalled windows xp, updated sp1 + sp2 and didn't download any codecs yet, will install nero now and will try to burn dvd from avi with buttons and all the cool stuff.

Another strange thing I noticed, after my computer started freezing in safe mode during transcoding, it also started freezing during any complex task during normal mode and required reboot. There is also a virus going around java_bytever. Comes from java cache, it's a trojan but still I wonder if it has some effect on all this?

you can get a free scan and read how to remove the virus on housecall.trendmicro.com

20. bamtino24

bamtino24 Member

BREAKTHROUGH UPDATE

Hello again, well as promised last night I reformatted my C drive, reinstalled windows XP, and downloaded all the updates from microsoft's website. Most importantly, this time I got SP1 & SP2 packages as well.

After complete installation of windows I installed Nero 6.3 suite which comes with Nero Vision 2, then I upgraded just nero vision to the 3rd version.

That was it, I did NOT install any codec packages, the transcoding and burning went extemely smooth. Now a dvd with menus, buttons, background wallpaper worked perfectly.

Windows XP with SP1 & SP2 packages seems to be alot more stable to me.

Just remember if you get all the stuff from windows update, you do not need codecs.

I hope this helps, write back on your success. Good luck all.