1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

nestopia and box art

Discussion in 'Windows - Games' started by bilscrobe, May 12, 2010.

1. bilscrobe

bilscrobe Regular member

is there a way to use box art with nestopia to open up game images? I know that some other emulators can do this, but i'm kind of partial to my nestopia.
    Bill

2. Paula_X

Paula_X Guest

the silence will be deafening... unless I answer you

http://www.bannister.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=7&page=1

investigate the gui linking method.. should be possible to embed the path to the rom in a thumbnail I would think.

Never seen nestopia, but it's open source so the skinning options will be easy to customise along with the thumbnail options and whatnot.

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2010
  3. bilscrobe

bilscrobe Regular member

Lol thanks Paula_x. I'll give it a try this weekend.
    Bill

4. Paula_X

Paula_X Guest

I found a linux version.. let me know how you get on, and if needed I can have a play with it myself. I know a few things about emulators.

This is interesting .. have a read and see if it's any use .. seems to be a "universal" launcher/indexer for emu's and rom sets http://forum.team-mediaportal.com/my-emulators-247/wip-goodmerge-support-other-minor-changes-68577/

If nestopia uses a config file it's possible we can make the thumbnails into links (shortcuts) .. still thinking on the fly.. usually open source emu's use xml configs. Might be one simple edit, might be a nightmare.. don't know..
    haven't got any nes roms available on this desktop so I haven't built the emulator.. hehehe.. gotta compile from source on amd/debian64 :lol:

5. bilscrobe

bilscrobe Regular member

Ya it's got an.xml config file, but I wouldn't know anything about how to make the thumbnails point to the rom file. I did take a look at that media portal, and it sounds really cool, I loaded it up, and configured it, but for some rerason it wants to freeze on me before i can do anything with it. so i'm gonna get on the media portal site forum and see about trying to figure that out too lol

But if you could tell me what i need to do to the config file i would be much appreciative.

Bill

6. Paula_X

Paula_X Guest

I haven't seen the config file... I don't know what it needs doing to it without seeing it.. or if it's possible even without a lot of messing.

Look at the thumbnail paths, then look at the rom path.. and see if you can make one a link to the other. it might not be easy, or it could be a simple redirect. It depends how the emulator gui handles selecting and loading the roms.

heres something related.. as you can see we are getting into something pretty complicated.. linking a thumbnail to a location.

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26464

7. bilscrobe

bilscrobe Regular member

there has to be some kind of program out there that can link stuff. when i get a chance this week im going to do some more searching. I'm still finishing up finals till tues, but after that i've got a few weeks that i can dedicate to playing around with this. i'll check out this link tomorrow after work. Thank you for helping me, I'm sure once we figure this out, everyone else might be interested on knowing how to do it too. thats why i love these forums.
    Bill

8. Paula_X

Paula_X Guest

I like a challenge, I'm back at work tomorrow but I did find my disk full of nes roms.. now to get hold of the emulator and build it.

It's not a matter of a "program" to link things, it's a case of tuning the emulator gui to see the thumbnail as a link to the rom. It's either going to be easy or very hard.. and it will probably be specific to the emulator.

9. bilscrobe

bilscrobe Regular member

so i did a little off the beaten path searching, and found a front end that suports box art, in fact i've found two of them, but for some reason I can't get either to do anything for me. one of them is maximus arcade, and the other is hyperspin. the maximus arcade isn't freeware, so i'm not too interested in it. but the hyperspin looked really promising so i spent a few days trying to figure it all out. one problem i had was that my rom files were not named acording to 'tosec' (i think ive checked them all through good tools at one time tho). anyway, they won't read, and i d/l a program to rename them called clrmamepro. thought i was in clear water until that program wont read any of my roms to rename them. now im back to square one! anyway that was my update on what i've been trying to accomplish over the past week or so. i think i'm gonna check out you tube and see if they have any video tutorials that might be useful.
    Bill

10. bilscrobe

bilscrobe Regular member

Alright so if anyone is interested,I d/l Emucontrolcenter (ecc). It's a very nice front end and it supports all of the emulators that i can think of. best part is that you can upload box art and other media. downside, especially for me, is that to use the prepacked box art that is downloaded, you need to have no-intro roms (renamed to TOSEC naming conventions, as GOOD tools naming isn't supported) I of course battled with different renaming applications, and none of the ones i found would read my roms as anything but 'unknown' needless to say, it wouldn't rename them. so I was forced to manually download box art and painstakingly click on each game to add the image file to the game (took hours). I do like the program tho, and definitely recommend it. I would like to know how to rename my roms according to TOSEC convention tho, I couldn't find anything about why the renaming programs couldn't identify what I had tho. oh well all's well that ends well i guess.

Bill