1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

.net framework 2.0 installation problem

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by jacobf, Jul 29, 2006.

1. jacobf

jacobf Member

I need the .net framework 2.0 to run some software, and it will not install properly, i am running windows xp home so i tried the 64 bit version, and yes i have SP2, i have the .net frame work 1.0 and 1.1 hotfix, i have tried booting in safe mode with networking and installing but it just says there was an error, i have tried installing it many times over the last few weeks and i always just get an error, the error gives me no information on why it failed, if anyone knows how i could get this to work please tell me, i really need this.

2. zfx83w

zfx83w Guest

Hey Jacobf,

Just wondering. Is your XP operating system a 64-bit based system? If not, then try installing the 32 bit version of the .net framework installer. Hope this helps!

Robert

3. jacobf

jacobf Member

i haven't been able to find a 32 bit version, i thought of that to, and i can't find a 32 bit version anywhere... if you could help me find one that would be cool

4. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2006
  5. jacobf

jacobf Member

i have already tried installing that version before, but i just now tried again for the heck of it, still doesn't work

6. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Then there's something wrong with your system bud, i tried it on a virtual machine and it installed flawlessly.
    Maybe it's about time you start backing up your important data/stuff and do a complete reinstall...

7. jacobf

jacobf Member

i don't own an operatings system, i can't re-install, so i guess i'm screwed

8. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

@jacobf ,An operating system is what you have = xp,or windows 95,98,ME,2000 for short they are normally referred to as an OS ,you can use google search and ask what is an operating system

By rights you should not have any trouble installing the 32 bit version of .net 2.0 it will install even if you don't have .net 1.1 ,are you logged on as an administrator,failing that and before doing a reformat get someone who's familiar with comps to help out

To reinstall there are 3 ways
    1-Use original xp install disks that came with machine

2-If no disks came with machine it has a recovery partition,scroll thru the programs list and when the drop downs appear look for wording like "recovery" or system recovery, or push F10 on startup tho that's for HP machines but it masy work on yours

3-download 32bit recovery diskette maker from microsoft there's also a download for recovery software for making a recovery CD

Last edited: Jul 31, 2006
  9. zfx83w

zfx83w Guest

ScorpNZ,

I think he meant that he does not [bold]own[/bold] a copy of windows or a restore disc, so he can't [bold]reinstall[/bold] his system. (he could have gotten his system second hand or even misplaced the disc. Who knowz!)

As for the .net 2.0 problem, how far into the installation are you getting?(both 32bit and 64bit versions). Is the problem the same for both? Is the installer even starting? Like, ScorpNZ said, be sure you have administrative rigts. You might also want to try uninstalling your current windows installer and reinstalling the latest version. Just a suggestion. Hope this helps!

Robert

10. jacobf

jacobf Member

it actually gets pretty far into the installation, but when it gets to the phase "copying new files" or something like that it soon after says "rolling back" and then the the send error report pop up comes up and it says there was an error, when i was having trouble at first, i installed the newest verison of windows installer. btw, i haven't been able to find a 32 bit version of the .net framework, all i see is the 64x version and the 86x version or something like that.

thanks for your thoughts you guys

11. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

X86 is the one you need... it's the 32 bit version, and it's also the one i linked you to.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2006
  12. jacobf

jacobf Member

oh, well it doesn't work :(