1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Network neighbourhood

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by iani_2006, May 11, 2007.

1. iani_2006

iani_2006 Regular member

Can any body explain to me how network neighboorhood works how can i install it n how can i use it. There are 7 computers in the office and i want one of them to be the server , there is also one printer conected to the server and all the others should be able to print from that printer. What programs can i use ?

2. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

Network Neighborhood is Windows 95/98/Me if I remember correctly. That's automatically installed with NIC drivers. With 2000/XP, it's My Network Places...and is installed automatically when setup detects a network device.

Anywho...

Make sure all computers are on the same workgroup.
    Once the printer is installed to one computer, go into the printer's properties and allow network sharing. During installation of the printer, you may be asked if you wish to install the drivers so other computers can print from it...check that option.
    Then...go to the Printer wizard on the rest of the computers, run it, choose to find a printer on your network..and choose that printer.

That computer must be on in order to print from any of the other systems.

3. iani_2006

iani_2006 Regular member

So all the computers must be with the same workgroup name then i can print any thing from any computer and share files from any computer ?

4. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

Yes all the computers need to be under the same work group and it should work fine also make sure that the computers name is not the same as any others on the network otherwise that will give u a problem too.

5. iani_2006

iani_2006 Regular member

Alrite thanks for the help guys. I also found out that is better not to show the how computer in the network but only the shared files. Thanks again.