1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Network Problems

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by JabiPlaya, Dec 11, 2004.

1. JabiPlaya

JabiPlaya Member

Right now I have my computer connected to my gc through a network hub (nic -> hub -> gc) but the hub speed is only 10mbps so I can't use the gcsim loader on 100m. However, my nic speed is 100mbps so I tried connecting my nic directly to my gc but when I try to connect, both sides show an error. My gc says that the network is not set up properly and to check the connections while my pc shows the network as disconnected. I tried deleting my pso files and recreating the character for online play after the new setup but I still get the same message. Does anyone know why this direct connection won't work and how to fix it? BTW, the ethernet cable I'm using is Cat5e, if that makes any difference. Thanks.

2. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

If you were previously using a hub between your Gamecube and the PC the cables would both have to have been patch cables in order to connect properly. To connect directly from the PC to the Gamecube you need to use a crossover cable.

3. JabiPlaya

JabiPlaya Member

What kind of cables are crossovercables?

4. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

Cat5 cables come in two varieties, patch and crossover. Patch is used to connect a device to a hub/switch/router and a crossover cables are used to connect two devices together without the use of a hub/router/switch. Most places that sell cables sell both types. Check the packaging to make sure you are getting the correct type.

5. JabiPlaya

JabiPlaya Member

I found out that the cable I was using was a patch cable, but shouldnt the coumputer still say that the network is connected? Also, I tried using the cable that I used to directly connect my cable modem to my pc, dunno if its crossover, but the computer still said that the network was unpluged. Do you think I have to do something on my computer like make a network or something? If so how?

6. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

If the cable is the incorrect type your PC will say that the cable is disconnected. Also, note that the PC will not say the cable is connected until Phantasy Star Online initializes the BBA. It is quite possible that your cable modem uses a patch cable to connect to the PC and that the cable modem has a feature called auto-crossover where it automatically detects the incorrect cable type and compensates.

7. Machiney

Machiney Member

another question
    i use the new gcsim with 100mbit full dublex speed.
    but if i want to start a backups, the loader writes on the screen: initialisation error

wtf :eek:

8. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

Do you have your PC's NIC locked down at 100Mbit/Full or is it set to auto?

9. ulishus

ulishus Member

thanks people.. i have had the same problem for a while and I have been trying to find an answer... i'm guna try this and c if it werks... good thread...