1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networking Help

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by joemoe, Apr 28, 2005.

1. joemoe

joemoe Member

I have cable internet access and right now have a netgear wireless router hooked up. My PC up stairs is hook up like this: Cable modem to wireless router - wireless router to my pc through a patch cable - then i have a pc down stairs which is connected to the router from a wireless connect. What I am trying to do is network these to pc's so I can use one printer as well as share files or ftp into each other. Is this pissible with a patch cable going to one computer and a wireless connection going to the other? if so how do I do it? Can someone help please I have been trying all day

2. E_Pizza

E_Pizza Regular member

I know what you mean ive set up a very smiliar connection too at a friends house for them. Im not sure if it possible to do this through the wireless, i think you might be able to but you will need some third party software. Just make sure both computers are running on the same Workgroup or Domain so they can see each other, enable netbios over the network connections ONLY. Also enable file and print sharing. First off try to use the Wireless Zero Config in windows if thst fails then third party software is the answer im sure ive seen somthing for sharing printers on wireless 802.1xx connections on a cover disc but im not 100% sure what its called if i find anything else il be sure to put it up.

Sorry i forgot to mention that you should set up the computers using the same subnet and manually configure the ip addresses if you can but if you have a DHCP server running off the router just try and make sure there on the same subnet.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2005
  3. baabaa

baabaa Active member

With your current configuration you would need to connect your printer upto the PC that is connected to the router.
    An make sure it is left on.
    Enable the file/printer sharing on your PC's.
    Install the drivers for your pinter onto your wireless PC in the print share options.
    And you should be ready to go, when you ask to print, your router will 'talk' to your other PC and tell it to print.

Other than that you would need a print server connected to your router, or in fact a router with built in print server.

Such as these: http://www.dlink.com/products/category.asp?cid=10