1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networking (more than one router)

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by omegaman7, Apr 9, 2012.

1. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Learned a valuable lesson last night. Bought a D-link wireless router a few months ago. Finally attempted to hook it up last night. I could only connect wireless devices to the internet.

I unplugged the D-link, and accessed the Qwest/century link modem/router via 192.168.0.1 to access settings. Here's the main issue. Both the D-link and Qwest modem want to be accessed via the same IP address(192.168.0.1). Which is why I disconnected the D-link. So I could access the original router/modem. It says that:

So essentially, by having it on, both routers were fighting for rights to assigning addresses to the multiple devices. Ok, I understand why only wireless devices were working(and only one I tested).

But when I try again, I fear I'll lose the ability to connect to the modem via the 192.168.0.1 IP. Because they both utilize the same number! Would I be right in assuming, that disabling DHCP serving on the qwest modem, would give each router their own number? And how will I know which number for which device?

Be gentle, I'm very green when it comes to Networking. I generally can figure stuff out, but this one has me a bit intimidated.

I suppose "ipconfig" in a command window might yield my answers, eh?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

disconnect the power & data cables to both routers. count to 20 then connect the power to both routers starting with the combo then connect the data cables. make certain the d-link is connected to the lan port of the combo not wan port.

3. GryphB

GryphB Regular member

By default, I believe all routers are setup with 192.168.0.1 as the default gateway IP address. So try the following.
    Go into your d-link router settings and change the default gateway to something else like 10.0.0.1
    Save changes and refresh and see if the settings are saved.

Go to command prompt and type in ipconfig and see if you get 2 different default gateway settings. You can verify which they are by the mac address set for each router (inside the router settings you can find out what the mac address is)

If done correctly and setup together, you should see 2 default gateways:
    quest - 192.168.0.1
    d-link - 10.0.0.1 or whatever you make it to be.

If you plan to run 2 wireless signals, 1 from each, make sure to use a different channel for each
    quest - 3
    d-link -9

This way they don't interfere with each others signal.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  4. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Thanks guys! I'll be playing with them shortly. But the qwest modem is not wireless thankfully. Which is why I got the D-link ;)

5. BE32

BE32 Member

the thing you need to understand is.

you can have many different ip networks going on. If you change to a different ip address space you need to change the dhcp before you do. Most routers can have many dhcp scopes working at the same time. You need to make a dhcp scope. Then you change the router ip. Just go with gateway 10.10.100.1 mask 255.255.255.0
    make a dhcp server with addresses 10.10.110.20 - 10.10.110.200. have the lease 5 days. Make sure the dns is the local gateway. 10.10.110.1

This should give you the nat correctly.

6. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I still haven't done it. I'm currently working two jobs :S I plan to work on it tomorrow. I haven't forgotten, I will post my success tomorrow :) It is however tempting, to buy an ethernet/powerline adapter. The one I had once upon a time, was very good. Impressive technology! ;)