1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networking Section

Discussion in 'AfterDawn feedback & suggestions' started by jcalton88, Jun 1, 2009.

1. varnull

varnull Guest

How about instead a "Things you SHOULD put in a microwave" section.. that sounds like a lot more fun *grins* .. see my 1-1 dvd copying method for an example.

2. DXR88

DXR88 Regular member

Aye, indeed!

3. kk0425

kk0425 Member

Just adding my 2 cents, since I came here to suggest the same thing but to my surprise was this thread. Here we go with another thread revival!

I think a networking forum would be a cool addition to the site. I can understand the mods point of view, that it may not get a lot of attention, but have you looked at any of the psp sections? They're completely dead lol.

I think a networking forums would be a good addition, as it will give a place to ask for what kind of hardware should be used. Or at least give us networking buffs a place to hang out :p . A lot of the questions may be basic but so are the vast majority of questions on these forums.

I do happen to see a few networking trouble shooting questions asked though.

4. scum101

scum101 Guest

us network admins have places to hang out already.. it's called google and writing guides for our respective sites.

there really is nothing to be gained from reinventing the wheel.. networking works the same on every computer everywhere.. so long as you are capable of reading the damn manual (and occasionally thinking about the problem logically, tearing up the book and just making it work.. creaky will know exactly what I mean with some unix setups)!!! that's the problem these days.. people have forgotten how to read and comprehend. Try solaris9 and an unsupported nic on a network that doesn't run any dedicated nameserver though the routers do provide DHCP services... the host looks for a name.. as it's alias.. and when it doesn't get one defaults to something the network doesn't understand resulting in no ip allocation.. fixing that little nightmare? now THAT'S fun, and can't be told on forums or learned from a book.. it's intuitive, undocumented, and very likely the wrong way to set it up.. but hell, if it works then :) .. just don't break your netscape before you get ff downloaded like I did.!!!

networking is 10% learning, 85% understanding and 4% luck.. the other 1% is random chance (usually through sideways thinking) or the odd occasions when plug'n'pray works.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2009
  5. DXR88

DXR88 Regular member

the PSP thread is dead simply because its the same questions being asked over and over.

the same would happen to the networking thread. the underlying principle of networking hasn't changed since it was used in 1969

Granted there are new Standards built on networks just about every month, but thats it.

telling people 5 million times what sideband addressing and jumbo frames are isn't going to sound anything Like how do i get custom firm ware on my psp using pandora, now is it.