1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

networking to pc

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by Vectra, Dec 3, 2004.

1. Vectra

Vectra Guest

I've a modded xbox i would like to network it to the pc for the obvious reason can i connect through my alcatel speedtouch usb adsl ppp this comes up as my network card also where would i get a network crossover cable. by networking to my pc can i damage xbox/chip or wipe off evox

2. jamie999

jamie999 Guest

just done it myself. not the easiest thing in the world. got a cross over cable from pc world. linked them together. downloaded flashfxp and used it to connect to the xbox and transfer files. not damaged the xbox. you copy the important files(and save on HD. once done your set to go. difficult bit is the ip address's when connecting. This is all on a xbox site, in a tutorial. search google for "xbox network ip" should find it

3. pleashelp

pleashelp Member

what is the differemce between a crossover cable and a ethernet cable and do i have to have the crossover cable to ftp the the xbox???

4. smiff6969

smiff6969 Member

Hello mate, an ethernet cable is a broad term used for a type of cable used to connect a pc to a ethernet hub, it is basically cat v cable with an rj45 connecter on both ends.

There are two types of ethernet leads you can get. one is crossed over the other isn't

A cable with the straight pin to pin connection (non cross over) is used to connect a pc to a network.

A cross over cable is used for connecting a pc to another pc, or for your use a pc to an Xbox.

The reason its called a crossover cable is because pc's output data on 2 pins (dataout + and dataout -) and recieve data on another two pins (datain + and datain -).

The reason you need a crossover cable for two computers to talk that are wired together is because the data in form one machine has to be connected to dataout o the other. a standard 'striaght. cable would not do this it would connect data out on one pc to dataout on the other pc and the pc's would never recieve any data.

hope this helps

any online computer store will more than likely sell them, make sure you buy 'crossover cable'

if you do get the wrong cable co not worry there is no chance in this world it will do any damage the datalines are the only lines that are swapped over and datalines DON'T carry current only signals. All microchips can take having datalines swapped over. it happens all the time at work and i'm the silly man who has to repair all the boards.............

5. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

Well, it may, but 9/10, it won't happen.

6. smiff6969

smiff6969 Member

No mate it won't at all not what so ever, logic paths only use around 30ma for a signal drive path and it is not enough to burn out nodes on microchip data input's.

Now if a current path is connected to a data path the data path can draw alot more current into the particular input node and then overwhelm the input and burn out the node.

I've got a hnd in electronics my friend i studied digital electronics for several years.

If you ever put the wrong cable in and it knackers up your xbox then it's not the fault of the crossed over data pins but the fact the cable is wired completely wrong

7. smiff6969

smiff6969 Member

Datain and dataout pins use the same voltage current and signals as datain pins it's just the 0's and 1's going in a different way OUT one and IN another.

It WILL NOT cause damage trying to put a signal into an outgoing data pin as the gate(node) can handle the signal, current and voltage. all that will happen is the signal will be passed to the node (dataout) and the internal protection on the pin will just source the signal to ground making it null and void.