1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

networking

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by melix04, Mar 28, 2005.

1. melix04

melix04 Member

i have two pc's and im getting broadband internet, could someone tell me what i need to do to connect them both to use broadband. The main pc that the broadband is running from has XP but the other has Windows 98.
    Please help me !!

2. ozy

ozy Regular member

3. ozzy1

ozzy1 Regular member

well it depends weather you get a modem with one output or a modem with built in router. My service provider gave me a modem with one usb connection on it. I have just binned that and bought a router with four wired ethernet outputs and a wireless connection aswell.
    If you get a modem with just a usb output u cud always network it through the ethernet port on the computer but that wud mean that you have to keep the main computer turned on to acess the internet on the other machine.

4. melix04

melix04 Member

thanks for the information i think i will wait until i get the modem from the ISP and then figure out where to go from there.

5. melix04

melix04 Member

i have recieved the modem from the ISP its a Netcomm NB5 ADSL/ADSL-2 Modem router, is that any help

6. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

melix04

If you are only trying to add broadband to both PC's and not network them together then it should be very easy to do. Are you going to hardwire both of them together or use a wireless application?

7. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

according to the spec sheet on the modem router it has a usb port & a network port & both can be used at the same time. so 1 computer will be on usb & the 2nd on the ethernet port

Last edited: Mar 30, 2005
  8. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Exactly, that's why I asked the question. It MIGHT be easier to use the Ethernet port on the Windows 98 PC and USB on the Windows XP PC as far as the OS recognizing the connection without jumping through any additional hoops, (USB with Windows 98 for example.) The key word here is Might.

9. melix04

melix04 Member

yeh all i want to do is share the broadband between the two thanks for all your help

10. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

no problem, teach & learn