1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networking!

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by PYF, May 17, 2007.

1. PYF

PYF Member

Hi,

I recently bought a crossover firewire cable to connect 2 home pc's so that i can transfer files between the two. I turned on file sharing for both and gave them same network name. On my main computer my shared files come up on "My local network" and i can see my computer on "workgroup computers".

However, on my other comp, none of the shared files are coming up on "My local network" and nothing comes up on workgroup comps.

Anyways, i tried anyway, i linked both comps together and they both recognised the firewire cable however when i tried to access my main computer on the 2nd comp it said "You might not have permission etc.". Ive been playing around a lot i even did "set up a small home of office network" but still i have no success.

Please help me through this. Many thanks.

2. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

Is your workgroup name the same on both computers. and then see if that changes anything also make another shared folder and see if that is seen or not,

btw

good to see another persian here :)

3. PYF

PYF Member

hey thanks man good to see another persian too..however it still doesnt work i gave them the same name and added another shared folder but the other computer (not my main one) still does not have anything on the local network. Any help would be appreciated.

4. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

When you go to toy network and see the networked computers does your computer also come up in the networked computers attached to that network, If not you may need to change the computer name to something else so the network does not have any conflict with it.

5. PYF

PYF Member

ive changed it so many times to unique names but still not working. Lol i purchased the crossover for nothing. Anything i do doesnt make any file or folder come up on the local network or workgroup computers.

6. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

Why dont you just get a wireless card and connect it via that way. Im really running out of ideas u may just have to do a fresh install if you have a problem after installing a wireless card if you wish to do so.

7. club42

club42 Regular member

Do you have a firewall thats blocking the other computers IP.

8. PYF

PYF Member

i have norton antivirus on both comps but im not sure if that is causing it. If it is how do i go about doing it?

And if it isnt any other suggestions?

Thanks a lot so far borhan9 and club 42.

9. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

If you are using Nortons Internet Security u have to make sure all the network settings are the same as in the dns server and ip addresses.