1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New at this

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by jbroney, Feb 11, 2004.

1. jbroney

jbroney Guest

I know it is possible to run a game from the hard drive without having the cd in the drive. What I don't know is how do I do this without the file being 800 mgs? What are the files do I need to keep? What files can I ignore?

Please don't think this is for piracy reasons. I am obligated to censure piracy. I ask because I gave my old PC to my son (who is 4) and believe it would be easier for him to click the icon on the desktop and deny him access to the actual CD.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

2. keithyb

keithyb Regular member

I dont think there is a way to not have the full image when mounting it. If you are running out of space you could burn the image as data to a CD+r and mount it off a cd drive. I have a burner and 2 computers at 2 different houses. I found it easier to use dvd burners that way I can put 5-8 games on 1 dvd-r disk and use it as a play disk on my other computer. Works well this way..

3. jbroney

jbroney Guest

Thanks for the advice. However my objective is to deny my son all access to CD's but still allow him to play his games.

Any further advice would be appreciated.

4. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Well I use Virtual CD ver 4 with Battlefield 1942. I now have a virtual drive running so I never have to use the CD to play. It would not copy the main disc properly, but it would copy (it said with errors and it took over an hour) and create a virtual disc of the 2nd game disc, which ended up working fine.

You may want to give Daemon Tools (free) a try.
    http://www.daemon-tools.cc/portal/portal.php