1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New budget PC

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by xXxBG, Mar 2, 2008.

1. xXxBG

xXxBG Regular member

Hey guys,i need some help. I need the Best PC for $600-700

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Ok, what's it being used for?

3. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

that guy just disappeared into thin air...

4. Sudds

Sudds Active member

I,ll carry the thread on...

Basicly all i really do is convert CD,s (EAC with Lame) and convert dvd,s (that i own) into m2ts files (MeGui, RAWAVC, AC3) and stream all to my PS3.
    Surf the web, edit photos etc.
    Currently am running AMD Sempron 1.75Hz single core with 512mb of ram with three slots empty.
    It takes awhile to encode the movies nearly 2 days so am thinking of dual or quad core.
    Forgive my ignorance on this, but PC hardware is not my strong point, thanks for any help and info given.

5. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

@Sudds
    Hi it seems like you're from PS3 thread section, we welcome you, anywho what socket is your Sempron? But it seems like you need a new computer what is your budget limit for a new computer?

6. Sudds

Sudds Active member

Thanks for the greating mate, my budget would be £300 which is at the moment about $600.
    Am not sure what socket it is but i,ll run cpuz and upload the file for you.

CPUID

Last edited: Mar 5, 2008
  7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's probably doable if the Sempron is a 939 or better yet AM2 socket.

8. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

@Sam
    it's a Socket A, unfortunately.

@Sudd
    Socket A discontinued long long ago, so it's difficult to find one thats good. getting a new computer is much better option.

£300,$600, good price for a PC. What yould you be using it for? Let me guess since you have a PS3, so you wont be gaming on PC.

9. xXxBG

xXxBG Regular member

What if its for Gaming?????

10. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

no because if it's for video encoding then you don't need a really good graphics card which saves money but if you're gaming then it's different

11. Sudds

Sudds Active member

Very little gaming, suppose maybe some emulation, project64 would be about all i would use.
    But apart from this just some ripping, encoding and surfing., and thats about it, but as i said it takes along time to encode a movie.

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Socket A Semprons are unfortunately very slow compared to the ones that came out on later sockets, as they were known to be slower than their Athlon XP counterparts. The best option for the guy with the sempron would be to upgrade to a cheap AM2 or Core 2 based system.

xXxBG: So you're going to play games? Which ones, specifically?

13. Sudds

Sudds Active member

I came across this pc here

Is it much of a jump from the PC am using?

14. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

@Sudds
    do you have to buy a prebuild system? Cause it's not good you don't even know what motherboard it has. Building your own system is much better...

15. Sudds

Sudds Active member

No i dont have to buy it, i thought it would be somthing similar as to what you would recommend.
    By all means, if you will, put up some links to give me a general idea as to what i need.
    As i said before, am a complete novice when it comes to this stuff, heck i nearly bought sddr ram for my comp, as i thought ram was ram! (ignorance i know) so your knowledge in this field is very much appreciated.

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Sudds: It's refurbished, and therefore will be unreliable, I guarantee it. At least go with a PC that's fresh out of the factory. It'll be a reasonable upgrade from your current machine, but for the money, it's not that great a deal.
    My cousin has a similar Advent system, albeit a bit older (P4 single core vs E4300, ironically the E2160, almost the same CPU is what's going in that PC's replacement) and so far it's been ok, but it was a low spec machine to begin with, as is that one, and it now feels very outdated.
    As for your lack of experience, I started building PCs when I barely knew what I was doing, but slowly and surely I've improved to my current level where I like to think of building a PC as a simple and straightforward operation, until you find a faulty part that is... :)
    If you never start, you'll never learn, and you'll forever be at the mercy of premim rate tech support calls to people who barely speak the language, and shouting at your PC if ever it doesn't function as it should. Build your own, and you'll be self-sufficient for all your future needs, and be able to start diagnosing problems should they appear.

17. Sudds

Sudds Active member

Ok.. much better than a physical kick in thee arse! lol!
    Right... basic fundamentals are, Motherboard, PSU, Processor and OP and a new housing (not fused on my old its massive).
    And they all have to be compatible right?

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

There's more than that.

CPU & Cooler (often comes with)
    Motherboard
    RAM
    Graphics and Sound cards (come with some motherboards, Onboard graphics though is best avoided)
    Hard Disk
    Optical Disk & Floppy drive (if the latter is needed)
    Power Supply
    Case & Cooling fans (Most cases come with them, not all)

then the obvious, Monitor, Mouse, keyboard, speakers/microphone etc.

19. Sudds

Sudds Active member

What i have: Moniter, Mouse, Keyboard, Speakers (connected to Hifi)
    80gig IDE, 300gig IDE, 300gig EXUSB 2.0 Hard drives.
    TSST corp CD/DVDW SH-S182D.

Am i right in saying that these days most hdd op drives etc are SATA? If so do i basicly chuck what i have on ebay and start afresh? Or is there any point in purchasing conversion cables etc.

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You can attach up to two devices via IDE to most PCs nowadays. Keep two of them and you can always buy external boxes to run the other components over USB. Most optical and hard disk drives use S-ATA these days, and while it's always logical to go with S-ATA for the hard disks there's no apparent gain for using S-ATA for your optical drives yet.