1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new build problems

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by dsdavis6, Nov 13, 2007.

1. dsdavis6

dsdavis6 Regular member

ok so just put together a new rig

Specs are:
    p5k-e asus mobo
    4gb ocz ddr2
    8800gt
    q6600 GO
    Antec TruePower Trio 550W PSU - With 3x 12v Rails and 120mm Fan

basically, once complete it woudnt come on... maybe led for a split second here and there.
    i tried reorganising the power switch motherboard connections.
    The motherboards green light stays on. at one point my freind put pressure on the mobo power cable, not the atx one... the rear fan and light started momentarily.Tried one stick of ram, tried cmos reset which involves changing the jumpers with this model. I also tried removing the mobo tray from the pc in case it was a grounding problem. i attempted to put the power switch cable on what the mobo claims is for reset switch. so long as i leave the reset cable off, my cpu fan will spin for a few seconds... then stop... if i move the power cable back, or add the reset cable, nothing again... i tried switching it on with no graphics card etc. just the two cables from psu to mobo and the cpu fan power i had similar results...

any suggestions?
    tyhanks in advance

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

What you've got there is a power trip-out. Either something's causing an overload or short-circuit, or your CPU isn't heatsinked properly. Have you checked to see if the heatsink is installed correctly? Did you use risers underneath your motherboard or did you screw it straight into the case?