1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new computer build problem

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by redZoneOS, Feb 7, 2007.

1. redZoneOS

redZoneOS Regular member

question to all the computer guru's out there!

I just built a computer a few weeks ago. Everything was running beautifully, and then one day I get home... NOTHING! I push the power button, and the PSU fan turns on, CPU fan turns on, Case fans turn on, and there's the light for my ethernet card is on... but nothing else. Nothing shows up on my monitor, no beeps, no power lights, etc. etc. etc.... what happened? Why did it stop working all of a sudden? Can anyone help?

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

try another psu as will still power fans & still be bad so won't post

3. redZoneOS

redZoneOS Regular member

is that the only possible problem? I was fearing the worst, thinking that the motherboard might have burnt out... or maybe both mobo/cpu and all that... If changing the power supply doesnt work do you think it might be the mobo/cpu? I want to be able to have all possible scenarios before I return the PSU because everything is still under returnable status, but not for long. Thanks for the quick response!

4. redZoneOS

redZoneOS Regular member

another question I would like to ask is, would these symptoms also occur if for some reason the computer wasn't grounded correctly? I mean it was working previously so I don't think this could be a possibility, but I thought I'd ask.

Thanks again

5. gtjr_ph

gtjr_ph Regular member

do your pc go to post? can you go to safe mode or bios?

6. ddp

gtjr_ph, if nothing comes on the screen nor are the drives doing their boot stuff, what does that tell you.

redZoneOS, try the board with just cpu, videocard & a stick of ram outside of case which i do all the time with no problem of grounding.

7. don_jean

don_jean Member

Your power supply may be bad so if you have a swap available, try it. If not, try testing the elemental components alone: board, proc, power supply, RAM, keyboard(some mainboards require it) and the monitor to check for video. All the other components, remove them. Including peripherals(usb devices, mouse, speakers, etc). Test the computer. If it POSTs (usually recognized by a single beep), then shut it off and add one component and test. Do that until you reach all components installed. If you install one and the problem appears then that component may be faulty, or the connector in the system you are using to plug it.
    IF the system continues the same after removing all the components try reseting all the components left. Same problem? then one or more of the left components is bad. Try swapping with known good components.

hope I helped.

8. 98sohc

98sohc Regular member

normally if it is not posting you either have cpu failure or memory failure the computer will still post if your hdd is bad etc. or maybe your video card, did you recently switch from on board video to agp or pci-e?? also try unplugging the battery on your board or check your mobo manual, to reset the cmos.

9. J0hnnyga

J0hnnyga Regular member

i had the same type of problem and it turned out my cpu was dead. i have no idea how but thats what happend. i took my friends advice and RMA'd my videocard just to be safe and i got a new cpu, once the card comes back hopefully all will be well.

10. gtjr_ph

gtjr_ph Regular member

theres a possibility that it still posting even though you dont see anything on the screen , have you tried another monitor

11. redZoneOS

redZoneOS Regular member

lol wow I come back from school and all this advice! Well I went step by step and luckily the first solution worked for me. Apparently my issue was grounding. I don't understand how that would have happened considering the computer was working fine, until that morning... Anyway I have it reseated and everything seems to be workin like a charm again!

Thanks you guys, I really appreciate it! Nice to know there's people out there willing to help u out :)

12. ddp

no problem, teach & learn