1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new computer, opinion needed and appreciated

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by tashaboo, Oct 22, 2007.

1. tashaboo

tashaboo Guest

i will start by apologizing if this is in the wrong section but i am buying a new computer and i wanted an opion on how good it is, main flaw i see is that it runs vista. but here are the specs

Processor AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core processor 4000+ 2.10 GHz with AMD LIVE!™

Memory 2048 MB PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM (2x1024 MB)

Hard drive 320 GB 7200 RPM SATA

CD/DVD burner 16X DVD±R / 8X DVD±RW with double layer and LightScribe

Monitor 19-inch LCD Widescreen Compaq WF1907 with integrated speakers

Network card 10/100 Ethernet

Modem 56 k modem

Video NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE TurboCache with 128 MB graphics memory

Sound High Definition Audio, 8 speaker configurable

Speakers Integrated into LCD monitor

Operating system Windows® Vista™ Home Premium

Software:
    Microsoft® Works 8: Word processor, spreadsheet, database and calendar
    Roxio Creator: Edit, burn and archive data to DVDs and CDs
    Roxio MyDVD Basic: Make movies and slide shows and burn to DVD or CD
    Muvee autoProducer
    DVD Play: Watch DVD movies

Warranty 1-Year HP limited hardware warranty, 24/7 HP support

tell me what you think pls

2. wabashman

wabashman Active member

the video card is pretty weak to say the least. it would definitely need to be upgraded if you want to do any gaming.

3. aldan

aldan Active member

agreed.i have an invidia ge force 7600gt and it is ok for what i do.but i am not a gamer.

4. shummyr

shummyr Regular member

Its Okay But I would go with Gateway because there rock solid

Preferences

Everything is perfect with the computer
    except the video/graphics card is too weak
    hard drive is too small if your going to do video work
    and it runs VISTA

peace out my personal preferences

5. steimy

steimy Active member

how good it is really depends on what you are paying for it. The specs alone are ok. The graphics card is fine if you do not plan on doing any PC gaming, and personally i am not a fan of Vista, but that is just me.

Something like the above mentioned GeForce 7600GT would be much better as i have played a few games with that card and it works great even with high end games like Rainbow Six Vegas.

here are some PC's you can use to compare:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...=2032280010+1141824149+1308920938&name=Gaming
    they also have AMD
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2032280010+1141819216&name=Athlon+64+X2

And what you plan to do with it can really make all the difference in what you need. I always like one with extra HDD bays and drive bays, one that has at least 4 memory slots and a 4BG max capacity and can take different memory types (667 or 800 and so on). Also one that has a motherboard that will take the current processor and future processors as then you can upgrade rather than buying a new one. Like my MSI 975X motherboard has a core2duo right now but can handle a quad core as well so i can upgrade later when the prices drop more.

6. tashaboo

tashaboo Guest

thanks for the responses guys, Im not a hardcore gamer, my gaming consists of albatross 18 and pogo lol. mainly for downloading, ya kno music movies n such.. and surfing.. the video card i have in my current crappy comp is only 32mb or maybe 64mb.. so i think i will do ok with the 128mb. right now im running on 80gb hd and 256mb ram, mind you xp isnt AS much of a ram hog as vista is so i hear.. lol seems like i get up to date and technology has moved on lol.. Im getting it thru bell canada.. 20 bucks a month plus tax for 3 years so maybe after all that im paying approx 850? my current comp cost 500 and the person who built it gave me a bootleg of windows xp which screwed me over

7. wabashman

wabashman Active member

is it a strict 20 a month with no interest, because thats there you will get raped at.