1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New computer problems

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by beccajay2, Feb 4, 2010.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's possible, I would recommend replacing the PSU as a matter of urgency even if it doesn't fix the problem.

2. scum101

scum101 Guest

error page_failed_in_nonpage_area

ram addressing error.. one of windoze common bugs... it's lost track of where some program data was sent.. not usually a weak psu problem.. more likely a bad stick of ram.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2010
  3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Agreed, faulty memory is the most likely cause. However, to avoid future problems I'm trying to convince beccajay to replace the PSU as well...

4. Xplorer4

Xplorer4 Active member

http://www.memtest.org/#downiso
    Test your memory first.

As for the PSU, again your asking for trouble regardless so your best to replace it regardless.

5. beccajay2

beccajay2 Regular member

I tested the memory for a few hours and got 2058 errors most came from test 4 and test 6.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Memory errors in metest definitely mean the memory is going wrong, no doubt about it. That either means RAM or PSU. If you have multiple sticks of RAM try the test with just one of them, then just the other (s), individually. It may be that the test only fails when you use one particular stick, in which case you know where the fault is.

7. beccajay2

beccajay2 Regular member

I have 2 sticks of ram the first had 2058 errors and the second had 8 errors. when i ran the computer only from the first stick of ram it rebooted once but had no other problems. When i ran from the second it rebooted as soon as it got to the desktop and then wouldnt load internet explorer after thet it was fine.

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Could potentially be a motherboard or power issue, but since replacing the RAM is easiest, try returning the RAM first for replacement.

9. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

What about Bios settings? Are there any options for changing timings or voltages ? A small voltage bump to the memory can help get it stable , along with memory timings being set correctly . If they are changeable in the Bios .

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Proper memory should not need the voltage manually adjusting.

11. Win7Guy

Win7Guy Member

Hello beccajay2,l

Is the graphics card Windows 7 compatible?

Check out the Windows 7 Compatibility site: (There you will find out about hardware and software compatibilty.)
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/en-us/default.aspx

There is a pulldown from which you can choose "hardware" and "software".

There are also some great articles, instructional videos and such to help with your Windows 7 at our Springboard site:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/default.aspx

In any event a lot of the times, Vista drivers will work in lieu of Windows 7 drivers, however, it's not 100%!

As stated previously, it's best to have the Windows 7 certified drivers installed.
    Thanks again,
    John M.
    Microsoft Windows Client Support

12. beccajay2

beccajay2 Regular member

I have sent my ram back and some new ones have arrived i put them in as normal but when i booted the moniter didnt display anything i had to mess around with the cable from the moniter and then robooted when it rebooted it came up with "Bad boot block" and started searching for a USB or CD. I have put the CD from the motherboard in and it came up with this: "Reading file "M4A79XTD.ROM". Completed. Start Erasing. . .- Start Programming. . .\ Start Erasing Boot Block. . ./ Start Programming Boot block...\"
    This has been displayed for almost 2 hours and nothing has happend since. I fear it has frozen and dont want to turn off the computer incase i am wrong and it is working.

13. beccajay2

beccajay2 Regular member

After 5 hours i shut it down. I turned it on this morning and it just comes up with a black screen and a flashing white line. What can i do to fix it?

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Why are you putting the CD from the motherboard in? You do realise you're meant to put the Windows CD in right?

15. beccajay2

beccajay2 Regular member

Why the windows CD? Isnt it a bios/motherboard problem?
    I have tried the computer again and it gets the checksum error when i have one stick of ram in. The other stick doesnt diplay anything when i boot up. If a stick of ram isnt letting the graphics card work im thinking its bad ram. When i read about the checksum error it says about puting the bios software on a cd/usb/floppy should i put the latest version on a USB or use the CD from the motherboard?

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You don't fix a problem with memory by using the motherboard driver CD, if you really want to flash the BIOS (I strongly recommend that you don't) you would normally use a USB flash drive. By the sounds of it, it is bad RAM.

17. beccajay2

beccajay2 Regular member

When i searched the internet i read about how the checksum was sometimes because a hardware change and needed some software off a cd/USB like what its asking me for. I know one stick of ram isnt going to work but the other one has the checksum.

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

What exactly does the 'checksum error' say, and is this what you see if no CD is in the drive, and you are using the one (we assume) non-faulty stick of RAM?

19. beccajay2

beccajay2 Regular member

If i use the non-faulty stick of ram this is what it says:
    "Boot Block compatability version ver.007
    Please do not insert any CD into CD-ROM or Floppy drive. If you want to recovery with USB device.
    Bad Boot Checksum. Starting BIOS Recovery...
    (Checking for CD-ROM...
    CD-ROM not found!
    Checking for USB Device...
    USB Device not found!)

The part in brackets repeats untill i turn off the computer.
    There in no CD in the drive.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hmm, seems the BIOS has become corrupted somehow and you'll have to reflash it. Which motherboard is this again?